Tuesday, 17 March 2015

So why the biker romances...?


To some people, my foray into the world of MC Romance may seem like a bit of a sudden one. I mean, I've written everything from sexy, Hollywood-themed bonkbusters to light-hearted romantic comedies, to a sweet little Christmas novella, but I've never really strayed into the slightly darker side of romance - until now. But why the biker romances? Is that purely because last summer we binge-watched 'Sons of Anarchy'? Well, that show did give me the kick up the backside I'd needed to finally write the kind of book I'd wanted to write for a long time, but the interest has always been there, for me. I've always been a bit of a frustrated biker chick (to the despair of my mother, who would much rather I'd been a Victoria Beckham clone), and I've always had a fascination with motorbikes - in particular, Harley Davidsons - and the men who ride them; the world they inhabit. It's always been there. I just wasn't brave enough to take the plunge and write those stories that had been sitting at the back of my mind for a while now. So I carried on writing the romcoms and the more conventional contemporary romances, even though I longed to try something just a little bit different. 

I've always had a fascination with Harleys...

You see, I'm not and never have been a "girlie" girl. I mean, okay, I have a strange love of the colour pink, and I have no idea where that's come from but I might incorporate it into a tattoo one day. I've always been one to lean more towards the more "tomboyish" element inside me. For instance, when I was a kid I always wanted a chopper, but I never got one because my parents thought it was more of a boys' bike. Still gutted to this day that I never got to own one of those... And I have always wanted to ride a motorbike. The closest I've got to that, so far, is riding a snowmobile in Lapland a few years back, and I absolutely loved that experience. And all that did was fuel my fascination with motorbikes. But it's always been something I kind of pushed aside, because, in reality, I'm one of life's painfully shy people. And that world of bikes and beards and MCs was nothing but a distant dream for me. A world I felt I could never inhabit, even though a huge part of me would have loved to experience it, if only for a short time.

But, now that I've been writing for a while, and my confidence has grown a lot over the years, I can embrace the joys of what being a writer means - it means I can inhabit my own world. I can live out those dreams I didn't dare to think about before; be the people I want to be inside a place I've created. And that's what I did when I wrote Revolution, book #1 in the Lone Riders MC Series, which was released last October.

It was a book I just adored writing, because it was as if, suddenly, every fantasy, every hidden dream I'd always had about this world I couldn't get close to before was finally being allowed to run free! 

Now, I'm still a romance author, don't get me wrong. And despite my love of tattoos (and, yes, I do have some of my own), heavy rock music, football and motorbikes, I still love the idea of romance. It's just that, the kind of romance in the Lone Riders series may not be the conventional kind, in some peoples' eyes. There are no hearts and flowers in these latest books of mine. People do fall in love, but the way that happens, and the path on which their journeys take them may not be one everyone feels comfortable with. But to be able to explore a slightly edgier side of romance - and to write something with a bit of action in it! - it's a dream come true for me, as an author. My Lone Riders books are quite different to most of my other novels in that they are darker - quite a lot darker. The language is tough, the action - and sometimes the sex - can be hard, even verging on violent; but beneath it all there's still a love story there. I'm just telling it the way I want to tell it; the way my characters want to tell it. 

So, my foray into the world of MC Romance hasn't really been a spur-of-the-moment thing just because I became slightly obsessed with Charlie Hunnam on a Harley... I mean, let's face it, who wouldn't be? But, no, it wasn't all down to him. I was always more of a Chibs girl myself, anyway... Sorry. Got a bit sidetracked there... The reason I started writing MC Romances was because I dared myself to take another, new direction in my writing journey, and see where that one takes me. And because I love creating hot, sexy, tattooed bad boys, and strong, sassy, kick-ass biker babes. What other reason do I need?

Revolution - book #1 in The Lone Riders MC Series is available to download now from Amazon.



Retribution - book #2 in the series - is out March 31st, and is available to pre-order right now!



Amazon.com / AmazonUK / Amazon.com.au / Amazon.ca / 


No comments:

Post a Comment