Thursday, 18 December 2014

A final catch-up before Christmas...

I haven't written a new blog post for - well, what seems like an eternity, again! But, there is a reason for that. I've been busy finishing my next book for HarperImpulse, and despite being given an extension on my deadline until after Christmas, I kind of wanted to get it sent over to my editor before that. Because, in reality, I'd finished that book about three weeks ago, but seeing as I'm really quite anal when it comes to my books, I had to make sure I'd gone through the thing at least half a dozen times before I felt ready to send it to my publisher. But there comes a time when you have to let go, leave it alone, know you've done the very best you can with it, and remember that this one is going to get a professional edit and therefore doesn't really need me to obsess over it until January. Which is what I would have done if I'd held on to it until then. So it's in the hands of my editor now. And even though I'm missing those characters in that book just a little bit right now, I think I've just got to forget about them for a while, and move on to the next book. Because as far as taking a break from the writing goes, I haven't got all that much time to kick back and relax too much. I've got 'Retribution' - Book Two in The Lone Riders MC Series - to finish, because that's due for release early next year, and then I have another book for HarperImpulse to write, and then I've got to get started on 'Resurrection' - Book Three in the The Lone Riders MC Series. And all of that has to be done in the next few months. Which is why social media/blogging/life in general is taking a back seat for a while. I need the writing time!! But it's not a chore to me - writing. To be honest, I have so many ideas buzzing round in my head right now that if I'm not writing, I'm not comfortable. I'm not happy. Probably sounds a bit unhealthy to some people, but I guess that's just me. I'm doing something I love, and I just want to continue doing that. 

Anyway, despite the fact I've been stuck behind this desk for what feels like an eternity lately, I have actually ventured downstairs now and again and tried to partake in a little bit of real-life!! We've put the Christmas decorations up, bought and wrapped presents, watched the final ever 'Sons of Anarchy'... oh yes. It had to happen. That day finally came when another of my favourite shows ended for good. And whilst it didn't have quite the same effect as the final 'Breaking Bad' (that just left me feeling empty for days afterwards), watching that finale - that final ride - it still hit hard. I just think I've been way too busy to let it actually sink in, that it's really over. But I loved that show, so much. And I'll still always be a Chibs girl... 

We're over three-quarters done with '24' now, though - a few episodes away from finishing season 7. And I think Jack Bauer is half the reason I'm not throwing myself on the floor in a distraught mess (like I was - almost - doing when 'Breaking Bad' ended) because 'Sons of Anarchy' has finished. Getting into another box-set is the only way to ease the pain of finishing one you were totally in love with. And it works. God bless Netflix...

So, it's almost Christmas - although, I still feel like it's kind of crept up on me this year, due to the fact I've had my head down writing for so long lately - and a brand new year looms, which always means you tend to look back at the past year. And of course I've been doing that. In 2014 I lost over two stone in weight, went on the radio and appeared in the local press to publicise my 'Striker' trilogy of books; I also released two more self-published books - 'Unbreakable'  and 'Revolution' - meaning that, in total, I released five novels in 2014. 

Yesterday I finished reading through the manuscript of my 12th book - which will be my next release through HarperImpulse. That's the one that's in the hands of my editor now. But before that's published - because I don't think it's going to be released until later in 2015 - I'll be getting my 13th book out there; the sequel to 'Revolution', Book 1 in The Lone Riders MC Series. I'm cracking on with 'Retribution' as we speak, trying to get that finished and released before the Spring, and I'm really happy to be back with my biker boys. 

Although, because I've spent the past couple of months with a whole different set of characters, it's taking a little bit of time to get to know The Lone Riders again. But I'm getting there. And I'll hopefully get a lot of work done on this book before I take a short break for Christmas. I have realised, over this past year, though, that I can write a lot faster than I used to be able to. Which is just as well, considering the amount of ideas for new books I've got. I need to write fast to get them all done! But, on the flip side of all that, it's meant I've distanced myself from social media quite a bit, because, at times, it can be nothing but a huge distraction. I know there's still an element of promotion to be done on my part - I'm not Jackie Collins, therefore my books don't sell themselves. However, I think I've probably exhausted the likes of Twitter/Facebook/Google+. I feel like I'm just preaching to the converted on those platforms now. There needs to be a new strategy for me as far as promotion is concerned, and that's something I'll have to work on as 2015 gets started. Because I want my journey as an author to continue, not stagnate. 




Anyway, I'm almost rambling now. But I just felt as though I needed to get something blogged before I throw myself into this next WIP, and get my biker boys back in the game. I wrote 'Revolution' in just over 6 weeks - can I do the same with 'Retribution'? Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

And to all those people out there who're still sticking by me, supporting me, buying my books and letting me know how much they're enjoying them, thank you. You all mean the world to me, because without you guys, all of this is pointless. I hope you all have an amazing Christmas, and that 2015 brings you everything you wish for. 

See you on the other side!!

No comments:

Post a Comment