Monday, 14 July 2014

Brazil 2014 - My Five World Cup Highlights

So, Brazil 2014 is over, and I'm just a little bit sad about that. So sad, in fact, that I can't bring myself to take down the World Cup wall chart from the back of the living room door just yet.



However, to cheer myself up, I thought I'd re-live some of my highlights from a truly brilliant World Cup. And even if England didn't really leave me with any sparkling memories, there were plenty of others who did. Here are my Top 5 things that made Brazil 2014 worth watching...



1 - Glenn Hoddle's hair

This is a man who has, quite frankly, said some rather bizarre and even slightly offensive things in his time, but during this World Cup he's been a constant source of entertainment for me. Especially his hair. It seemed to take on a life all of its own once he set foot on Brazilian soil, and it never did make friends with the south American humidity. It was even worse if a slight breeze happened to be joining in the party...



2 - Discovering Mats Hummels


Come on, I'm an author who's in the process of releasing a super-sexy trilogy of books all about a hot footballer, so it stands to reason such things would have been on my mind during this tournament. And this rather attractive German central defender has been on my mind more than most... he still is...






3 - The ITV pundit panel

I know that BBC trounced ITV in the World Cup Final ratings, but for me I was quite willing to suffer the ad breaks just to keep watching Adrian Chiles and co., because as far as personality was concerned they had it in spades over the slightly more stuffy BBC panel. I mean, for their World Cup Final coverage Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Alan Hansen and Rio Ferdinand all had suits on (why???), whilst the ITV gang were back out on Copacabana Beach in their shorts and shades sitting at those trestle tables with the beautiful view of the sea behind them! And whilst those conditions could only play yet more havoc with Glenn Hoddle's already out-of-control hair, it's been far more entertaining these past few weeks to watch the likes of Ian Wright getting over-excited, or worrying whether Gordon Strachan had enough sunblock on than the staid and somewhat boring atmosphere over in the BBC studio. ITV's coverage made me smile. The only thing remotely amusing about the BBC team was Rio Ferdinand's suit last night...



4 - Germany's 7 -1 thrashing of Brazil

Cruel, I know, because I did start to feel slightly sorry for Brazil after the 5th one went in, but it was undoubtedly one of the most entertaining - if you can call it that - game of the tournament for me. And a truly incredible display from a German team that were just unstoppable...



5 - Overdosing on football

Germany - worthy winners of the 2014 World Cup
Of course, after just over a month of almost non-stop football, it stands to reason that fans of the game are going to feel more than a few withdrawal symptoms kicking in now it's all over. But for the past few weeks it's been a joy to have so much fabulous football on my TV screen. This World Cup has been the best since Italia '90 in my opinion, giving us some amazing matches, some heart-stopping surprises, and a final that really did see the best team win, in the end. I've loved it. And I think Brazil should be extremely proud of themselves for putting on an incredible show. Thank you. It was a whole heap of fun, and I really am sad that it's all over. Time to start the countdown to Euro 2016... 



And don't forget, my sexy Striker Series of books are being released this summer, with a lot more action of the off-pitch variety! Perfect escapism, but don't let your granny read them!! ;-)


Books 1 and 2 - Striker and Extra Time - are available to download now, with Final Score, the last book in the trilogy, due for release in August. 






No comments:

Post a Comment