Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Meet the Author - Nikki Moore



Meet the Author this week is with the lovely Nikki Moore. A fellow Harper Impulse author, her book 'Crazy, Undercover, Love' will be released on April 24th through HarperImpulse. More about that later...

Want to find out more about Nikki? Then read on...


*


When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?
 
As soon as I started reading! I loved getting lost in a good story and thought it would be really cool and exciting to be able to create stories with my own characters in them so they could get up to all kinds of fun stuff! I don't think my outlook has changed much – its just that the fun stuff is balanced with more serious, dramatic side of life too :)

I was lucky that my parents were voracious readers who have been supportive of my dreams. And I had the most amazing English teacher at secondary school who gave my short stories grade A's and encouraged me to write  – thank you Mr. B! I'm also incredibly fortunate that my aunt is Choc Lit author / creative writing tutor / comp judge / RNA anthology editor Sue Moorcroft. She has been an invaluable source of information, inspiration and support.


What made you want to write romance?

I just love writing about love! It's what makes us human. Most people enjoy a good love story … whether it's reading romances, or watching films or hearing about our friends' love lives.

It doesn't matter who you are, I think everyone has the capacity to find romantic love at least once in their lifetime. It's that possibility – the excitement, the fall, the deep connection, the potential for a happy ever after – that I think makes romance so appealing.



Was it always your intention to find an agent/publisher, or did you ever think about, or indeed go down, the self-publishing route?

I tried twice (and not with a lot of conviction) to find an agent. I got form rejections. In the summer of 2013 I decided to give myself a year to find a publisher for Crazy, Undercover, Love (previously called The Lost Weekend)  and if I couldn't I would self-publish, then get on with the next book. Happily I didn't need to do that. After a one to one slot at the Romantic Novelists Association Conference 2013 the fabulous Charlotte Ledger loved my voice and made me an offer in October and Crazy, Undercover, Love is due out on 24th April!

But I would say that I don't have anything against self-publishing; I've read some amazing self-pubbed books. However it needs to be done properly in terms of having the book professionally edited and also investing in/creating a good quality cover. I know they say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but that is what people invariably do (one of the many reasons I accepted the HarperImpulse contract was because of the amazing covers). What's also important to know about self-publishing is the enormous amount of time you might have to invest in promo, possibly much more than authors who have 'traditional' deals. I've heard of self-pubbed authors who've had to spend so much time on promo they don't have time to write the next book, which when you're trying to create a readership is mega important. You need to get that next book out!



What was the inspiration behind your current book?

I always worry I sound a bit weird when I say this :) but I had a dream one night about this couple stranded in a cabin somewhere. They were arguing about career versus love, and I woke up with the characters alive and kicking in my head and begging for their story to be told...

I started the book a few days later - almost four years ago now - and the storyline has evolved a lot since then, with the book undergoing MANY rewrites and swapping location to a weekend in Barcelona, a city I love, but I feel I've done justice to those characters (Alex and Charley) and their story.

I only hope readers feel the same!

Of course dreams are a product of our memories, emotions, anxieties, fears and aspirations so I guess it's not that weird if they're a source of inspiration for writing sometimes :)



Do you listen to music while you write, or are you someone who needs complete silence to work?

I have music on in the background when I write. It either has to be a low enough not to distract me – white noise if you like – when I'm editing or I choose specific albums and crank them up when I need inspiration and am creating stories. I listen to a wide variety of music, from rock to R 'n' B to pop to ballads. I have eclectic tastes!



Is there a particular time of the day in which you prefer to write?

I'm better writing in the mornings but have children to sort out for school and a day job to get to so my morning writing time is severely squeezed. Therefore I tend to write mostly in the evenings once my youngest is in bed.


Paperback or ebooks – do you have a preference?

I adore reading paperbacks in the bath (I've found it's difficult to relax if you're worried about dropping a gadget worth hundreds of pounds in hot water) but I do most of my reading on my tablet nowadays. I love that I can have hundreds of books stored on something I can shove in my handbag!



How did it feel the first time you saw your name on the cover of that book you’d written?

Absolutely incredible! It felt like all the years of hard work had been worth it... but I also knew that everything leading up to that first publication was just my apprenticeship – now the fun and hard work really begins...
  

What do you like to do to relax?

I love spending time with my family and friends, going out and meeting new people and trying new things, dancing, reading, watching films and going for walks along the beautiful local beach.


Would you ever go on a reality TV show? And if so, which one?

Never! I would never want to expose myself to that level of scrutiny … although as an author I guess that's something I may have to get used to ?! 



What makes you laugh?

The hilarious things my children say and do! Being a parent is ridiculously hard work but the rewards are more than worth it. Laughter is one of those rewards. 


*

Crazy, Undercover, Love - Book Blurb


Uber-feisty career girl Charley Caswell-Wright travels to Barcelona for a weekend assignment as PA to the gorgeous Alex Demetrio, CEO of Demetrio International.

But she's there under entirely false pretenses: to get her life back on track. Having lost the job she worked so hard to earn, she’s determined not to give it up so easily, especially when she didn’t deserve to lose it in the first place.
Mr Dreamy CEO is her only chance of clawing back her career – and her reputation. So she has to keep things strictly professional… boy, is she in trouble!


*

Nikki Moore lives in beautiful Dorset and writes short stories and sexy contemporary romances. A finalist in several writing competitions including Novelicious Undiscovered 2012, she graduated from the Romantic Novelists Association New Writers' Scheme after four years and and has contributed to their magazine Romance Matters. She has far too much fun attending the annual RNA conference and has previously chaired a panel and taken part in a workshop at the Festival of Romance.

She blogs about some of her favourite things – Writing, Work and Wine – at www.nikkimooreauthor.wordpress.com and believes in supporting other writers as part of a friendly, talented and diverse community.

You can find her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/NikkiMooreAuthor or on Twitter @NikkiMoore_Auth and she invites you to pop in for chats about love, life, reading or writing!




The first chapter of her book Crazy, Undercover, Love can be read for free in the HI sampler at:


She is also a contributor to the RNA/Mills and Boon Anthology Truly, Madly, Deeply  available to buy at:

Mills & Boon


You can also pre-order a copy of 'Crazy, Undercover, Love' HERE.
 

*


Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today, Nikki. And thanks for a fabulous Meet the Author post! Wishing you loads of success with 'Crazy, Undercover, Love'!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me Michelle, it was heaps of fun! Take care, Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely having you stop by my blog today, Nikki. And thank you for a fabulous Meet the Author post! :) x

      Delete