Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Meet the Author - Georgia Hill



Meet the Author today is with another fabulous fellow Harper Impulse author - the lovely Georgia Hill

Want to find out more about Georgia? Read on! And if you're a fan of Strictly Come Dancing, you might just be interested in her series of dance-inspired books... you've got to check out those stunning covers


*

 
Bio


I used to live in London, where I worked in the theatre. Then I got the bizarre job of teaching road safety to the U.S. navy – in Marble Arch!

A few years ago, I did an ‘Escape to the Country’. I now live in a tiny Herefordshire village, where I scandalise the neighbours by not keeping ‘country hours’ and being unable to make a decent pot of plum jam. Home is a converted oast house, which I share with my two beloved spaniels, husband (also beloved) and a ghost called Zoe.

I’ve been lucky enough to travel widely, though prefer to set my novels closer to home. Perhaps more research is needed? I’ve always wanted to base a book in the Caribbean!

I am addicted to Belgian chocolate, Jane Austen and, most of all, Strictly Come Dancing. Keep dancing, everyone!


Say it withSequins: The Rumba and Say it withSequins: The Waltz– are both out now with HarperImpulse.



*
 

What made you want to write romance?

Whenever I watch or read anything, the human dynamic fascinates me. Yes, I like description and plot – but what draws me in is how the characters relate to one another. And, if there’s a suggestion of romance, even better. Best of all, is a ‘will they, won’t they?’ relationship. So, it seemed natural, for me, to write romance. It’s what I love to read too.


What was the inspiration for your current book?

This follows on from the answer above. I’m a huge Strictly Come Dancing fan. I love the sparkles and the show biz! What intrigues me most though, are the relationships which form between dancer and celebrity. Like most writers, I love to people watch and it can be a real challenge to decipher exactly what sort of relationship is going on. Are they really good buddies, or is there ‘chemistry’? Or do they simply hate one another? The idea for ‘Say it with Sequins’ grew from there. I added in the extra challenges, which the contestants have to do, in order to give a new dimension to a television reality show. Looking back, the 1990s film ‘Strictly Ballroom’ probably sowed the seeds. I adore that film!


Are there any authors out there who have inspired you? And if so, who?

Lots! I always have a book on the go and feel lost if I don’t. Jilly Cooper has always inspired me; I love the humour in her books. Other writers I enjoy are Barbara Erskine, Nora Roberts, Kate Morton, Susanna Kearsley, Rachel Hore, Julia Quinn, Fiona Walker, Katie Fforde, Sebastian Faulks and the paranormal/crime/thriller writer Phil Rickman - he’s impossible to categorise but comes highly recommended and writes fantastic dialogue. I’ve enjoyed reading two-narrative, partly historical novels lately and would love to write one. See the next answer!


Do you plan your stories before you start writing them, or do you just ‘wing’ it?       

I’m not a planner. I start with the characters, build up a picture in my head of what they’re like and go from there. If I know what’s going to happen, I find it a chore to write. However, I’ve a dual narrative, which is 90% through the first draft and have got into trouble with it, as the plot is complicated. If I’m ever going to finish it, I’m going to have to find a way to plan it out. Currently, I have two huge sheets of paper stuck on the wall, with colour-coded plotlines mapped out on them. Then ‘Say it with Sequins’ intervened and I’ve left my characters to their own devices for a bit. Wonder what they’ve been getting up to?


Can you tell us anything about any future projects you’re working on?

I’m torn between ‘Say it with Sequins 4’ and finishing the dual narrative at the moment. I also have a ‘Calamity Jane’ update forming in my mind and there are two characters and a spaniel called Daniel from another idea who are being very insistent!


You’re having a dinner party, which 4 people – living or dead – would be your ideal guests?

I’d have Jane Austen. We know so little about her and her life; I’d love to quiz her. I can’t imagine she’d be a terribly comfortable guest to be around though. I get the impression she’d sit there and observe us all, memorising us as characters for another novel! I’d also have Miranda Hart as I think she’d be good fun, David Mitchell because he’s so witty and Stephen Fry – so if we needed to know anything, we could ask him. I’d be exhausted at the end though, trying to keep up with the intellectual banter. Maybe I’d be unusually quiet and concentrate on pouring the wine!


Five words that describe you.   

Imaginative. Talkative.  Humorous. Independent. Dog-lover.


What makes you laugh?    

Clever witty people, satirical shows like ‘Have I got News for You’, Morecambe and Wise, Miranda Hart and my dogs. I hate practical jokes with a passion.




*

Links:








Amazon author page - http://amzn.to/1rtLH4n



*


Georgia, thank you so much for a fabulous Meet the Author, and by the way, I'd love an invite to that dinner party of yours! ;-)  

Wishing you loads of success with the 'Say it with Sequins' series, and as an avid fan of Strictly Come Dancing, I can't wait to read them!  


And if you'd like to check out Georgia's Fantasy Cast for Say it with Sequins: The Rumba, you can do so HERE! It's a good one... 

No comments:

Post a Comment