Wednesday, 5 February 2014

Meet the Author - Mandy Baggot



It's Meet the Author time again, and this week I've been joined by the fabulous Mandy Baggot! Read on to find out what inspired her latest book, what she'd do with a lottery win, and just which reality TV show she wouldn't mind being a part of...



Bio:

Mandy Baggot is a romantic fiction author. In 2012 she won the Innovation in Romantic Fiction award at the UK’s Festival of Romance. 

Her self-published title, Strings Attached was also short-listed for the Best Author Published Read award.

Also in 2012 she signed with American publishing house, Sapphire Star Publishing, who produced her novels, Taking Charge and romantic suspense, Security.

In June 2013 she signed a two book deal with Harper Collins' digital first romance imprint, Harper Impulse.

She is a regular contributor to writing blogs and on-line magazine, Loveahappyending Lifestyle

Mandy loves mashed potato, white wine, country music, World’s Strongest Man, travel and handbags. She has appeared on ITV1’s Who Dares Sings and auditioned for The X-Factor.

Mandy is a member of the Romantic Novelists’ Association and lives near Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK with her husband, two daughters and cats, Kravitz and Springsteen.


*


Was it always your intention to find an agent/publisher, or did you ever think about, or indeed go down, the self-publishing route?

I started off thinking I was going to snap up a book deal after the very first submission! How wrong I was! After a couple of years writing to agents and publishers I thought there had to be another way. At the same time I was thinking this, Amazon brought out Kindle Direct Publishing and that was me sorted! I only tried the traditional route again after book number four and this time had more success. I like being a mix of the two – a hybrid makes me sound like something from Doctor Who! 

What was the inspiration behind your current book?

My love of country music and hot men in leather and jeans! Going to the Country 2 Country Festival at the O2 last year really inspired me to write a book set in the middle of the country music scene. The TV show Nashville has also got people thinking about country music differently. It’s not just about slide guitar and banjos anymore – there are so many cross genres with country roots. I wanted to write something very contemporary that would appeal to readers who are country music fans already, but also introduce the style to non-fans! It’s romance first and foremost but set in the middle of a vibrant music scene.

Do you plan your stories before you start writing them, or do you just “wing” it?  

I’m a winger! LOL! I usually have a basic plot and the two main characters and then I wing it for England. I like to give my characters space to change themselves and, in doing that, also change their path. It’s a lot more fun that way! 

Social media – friend or foe?

Friend! I am obsessed with Twitter and Facebook. I get itchy if I haven’t looked for a while. I don’t want to miss out on anything and I’m very nosy!


You’ve just won a few million on the lottery, what’s the first thing you do?

Just one thing?! I’d pay off my mortgage, then I’d buy a villa in Corfu. I’d have Chinese for tea with Asti Spumante, treat my girls to something they want, donate some money to my favourite charities...I don’t think having a few million would change me. Oooo I’d buy loads of sausages from the Salisbury Sausage Shop.

Would you ever go on a reality TV show? And if so, which one?
  
Been there done that! I auditioned for the X Factor and it was an eye-opener. I did make it through to the second round but it’s very fabricated. I’d LOVE to go on I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here!


You’ve been given carte blanche to go on any chat show you wish to plug your latest book – which one do you choose, and why?

Graham Norton! I’ve always said that’s one of my ultimate dreams! He’s so funny and I could be sat next to Robert De Niro (who always seems to be on) or Lady Gaga! Imagine that! Lady B and Lady G!



Blurb for Made in Nashville:

Love ABC’s Nashville? Fall in love with a story that’ll drag you into the heart of the country music scene.

Battle scars, broken contracts and a returning star with a point to prove.  Fists are flying faster than award nominations and emotions run even higher. 

Country rebel and rock star, Jared ‘Jed’ Marshall is hot property on the Tennessee music scene in more ways than one. He’s wild, he’s sexy and everybody wants a piece of him. But when he sets his sights on singer Honor Blackwood, is it pure attraction or just distraction on his mind?

Visit the home of country music and get ready for the finger-picking read of the year!





Amazon UK: http://ow.ly/sjq4v

Amazon US: http://ow.ly/sjqbM


Facebook:

Goodreads:

Loveahappyending Bookshelf:

Sapphire Star Publishing:

Harper Impulse: http://ow.ly/mAQBP

Latest release: Made in Nashville –           
Amazon UK http://ow.ly/sMOIG

                                                                   
Amazon US http://ow.ly/sMOC9


 *

Mandy's brand new book Made in Nashville is released on Thursday February 6th, and look out for her Fantasy Cast here on my blog on Friday! Seriously, don't miss it - it's hot! 

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for having me Michelle! Could you just lean over Robert De Niro and Gaga and pass me a sausage...ooo and some wine. Thanks!

    Mandy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always great fun having you on my blog, Mandy. :) And I'm all for a sausage first thing in the morning, even if I do have to lean over Robert De Niro to get it... ;)

      Delete