Monday, 24 February 2014

Meet the Author - Caroline Storer




It's a bonus 'Meet the Author' this week with the lovely Caroline Storer, who released her first book 'The Roman' through Harper Impulse last week! Want to find out more about Caroline? Read on...



*


What was the inspiration for your current book? 


General Maximus Decimus Meridius – a.k.a Russell Crowe in The Gladiator.  I’ve watched this film about 10 tens now and I’m still bowled over by his gorgeousness!  He is the typical alpha male Roman hero IMHO.


Do you have a designated “work space”, and if so, can you describe it? 

I’ve actually got 3 writing places. One, sitting in my arm chair in the living room with the laptop on a small laptop table and with a footstool elevating my feet.  The second, is a recliner chair that sits in the corner of our bedroom (with another footstool), and thirdly, the spare bedroom where I’ve got my own little office with desk and computer chair.  But I seem more productive in the bedroom (that sound rude doesn’t it!) as I can type away quite happily for hours while hubby watches what he like on the TV in bed.  The only thing I need to block out interruptions are my earplugs, then I can pretty much tap away to my heart’s content!

Is there a particular time of the day in which you prefer to write? 

I’m always in awe of the productivity of some writers, and wish I could be as disciplined at they are.  But I’m not.  I do try to write every day except Wednesdays when I have other commitments.  I find the weekends and evenings work best for me.  Not having young children around means I’m not as constrained by the hustle and bustle of life as some writers are.  I have learned by trial and error as to what works for me productivity wise.  I did try once to get up at 5am to write before I went to work to try and increase the word-count but that was a disaster – Facebook and Candy Crush - but no writing!  I’m definitely more productive the late afternoons and early evenings.

Paperback or ebooks – do you have a preference? 

Before I got my Kindle I swore I would always buy books.  But once I got my Kindle (a surprised Christmas present) I was totally converted to eBooks.  I’ve discovered so many new authors (mainly as they are US based and their books were never released over here.)  And once I’ve discovered them I often read all their backlists too!

Do you plan your stories before you start writing them, or do you just “wing” it? 

For many years now I’ve suffered from insomnia.  To get to sleep I normally make up stories in my head.  The beginning of a love story between two individuals set almost anywhere!  Then by the end of the first chapter I’ve normally fallen asleep.  (My hard drive is full of “Chapter 1” ideas!).  I also get ideas from reading voraciously.  In my debut book for HarperImpulse – “The Roman”, the idea came from reading a children’s book about Herculaneum that I found in the library one day.  I often find children’s history books (lots of pictures) spark an idea much more readily than a weighty historical tome!  In this particular book there was a villa discovered at Herculaneum which had lots of bronze statutes.  Justina, my heroine in “The Roman” is a sculptress and she lives and sculpts in a huge villa in Herculaneum.  But when it comes to writing the whole book I’m definitely a “pantster” though.  The idea starts and just flows from there.  I’ve tried to plot out books, but to no avail – the characters just take over and demand their story to be written. 

What advice would you give to anyone just starting out on their writing journey?

Learn your craft.  Like any job, unless you are Superwoman, you have to learn and be trained to do it right.  I’ve been an Environmental Health Officer for 25 years now and I’m still learning on the job all the time.  Writing is very much like that.  Beg, borrow or buy as many “How To” books as you can.  If you want to write Romances, then Kate Walker’s 12 Point Guide to Writing is a must, and the one thing that stuck when I read Kate’s book is “…emotion, emotion, emotion…”

Can you tell us anything about any future projects you’re working on? 

I’m finishing off my second contracted book for HarperImpulse that has to be with them by the end of February.  I’ve also got a “dirty draft” of another “Roman”, along with a “Viking”.  Ideas in development include a “Regency” along with a “Futuristic” romance.   

Social media – friend or foe? 

Foe.  But we are currently at the cease-fire point.  I’m not very good on all things tecci, I’m afraid.  I can handle the basics such as Facebook and Twitter, but I’m not good at anything else.  But I’m also a realist.  If I’m published as an eBook author then I need to embrace technology!  I’m due to have some lessons soon with a computer geek, so finger’s crossed I’ll soon be a whiz on the social media front!

You’ve just won £5 million on the lottery, what’s the first thing you do?

Buy my long suffering husband what he wants.  He’s put up with my procrastination for years now,  he deserves a treat!  I would also give up the day job and write full time.  And I would love to visit Herculaneum where I’ve set my debut novel “The Roman”!




The Roman

Famous charioteer, Aulus Epidius Marsallas wants revenge against Justina Philipus - the only woman he’s ever loved, but who’d betrayed him by becoming his uncle’s mistress.  Forced to meet Marsallas for the first time in six years, Justina is shocked at the changes she sees in him.  Gone is the carefree youth she once loved, now replaced by a hard muscular stranger.  But there is no denying the attraction that still flows between them, and when his uncle dies, Marsallas offers sculptress Justina a challenge – a bronze stature of himself, and his four horse chariot, to be displayed at the Circus Maximus.  Justina knows that this commission is just what she needs to make a name for herself, and give her the freedom she covets, so she accepts Marsallas’s challenge.  However, Justina is unprepared when Marsallas states one further condition – she must become his mistress.  But Justina has a secret, she’s still a virgin, she just hasn’t told Marsallas yet…

*

Thank you so much for a fab Meet the Author, Caroline! Wishing you loads of success with The Roman

The Roman is available to buy now from:- 

Amazon.co.uk



And visit the Harper Impulse website to find out where else it's available to purchase. 



You can also find Caroline over on her blog at -   


And on Facebook and Twitter



4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me, Michelle! Much appreciated. Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an absolute pleasure, Caroline. :) And I still LOVE the cover for The Roman! :) x

      Delete
  2. Brilliant post Caroline and I'm so pleased for you. It's great to think we met at Kate Walker's course and both find her 12 Point Guide invaluable!! I have The Roman on kindle and can't wait to read it. Congratulations! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Rachael! So nice of you to stop by. Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete