Tuesday, 5 November 2013

How a hot, hat-wearing Kentucky lawman spawned the book I can't stop writing...

Sometimes, as an author, you just need to hole yourself up in a little space somewhere and lose yourself in your work - am I right? Well, it's certainly true for me. Sometimes. Like, right now. Because, at the moment, I'm actively looking for a few distractions to take my mind off one or two things going on at the minute, so, I decided to set myself a bit of a target and see if I could write a brand new book in just a matter of weeks. Now, when I say I decided to see if I could write a brand new book, it wasn't quite as simple as that. I already had an idea, you see. Unexpected inspiration had hit me like a rocket launcher, and when that happens I just know I've got to get stuck in and write. So, last week I started this new book. Almost six days in I've written over 31,000 words and the story is still pouring out of me. I can't even relax and watch TV in the evenings because my mind is whirring constantly with ideas and notes I have to make.


Timothy Olyphant as Deputy US Marshal Raylan Givens in Justified
However, there is one programme I have the ability to concentrate on quite easily - sort of, anyway. And that's the programme that gave me the inspiration for this new book I'm writing. The book that has meant everything else has been put on the back burner because this just needs to come out. Like, really badly! And that programme is Justified. And the man who gave me that head-on, rocket-launcher-style hit of inspiration is an actor called Timothy Olyphant, and, more importantly, the character he plays in Justified, Deputy US Marshal Raylan Givens. Described as a "19th century style lawman in 21st century Kentucky", Raylan is a strong, takes-no-crap kind of guy who can handle a gun pretty damn well and carry off a stetson and cowboy boots better than any man I've ever seen. And, after watching just two episodes of this pretty addictive show, I'd created my own sexy lawman - Sheriff Ethan Everett - and a story that I now can't stop writing. It's taken over everything I do at the minute, because I have never felt so excited about a new book, or a new set of characters, for a long time. And I know I should really be concentrating on the third installment of the Striker trilogy, and I will be doing just that, real soon. That book is all but planned out and ready to go, but I just need to finish this (as yet un-named) new novel, while the inspiration is hitting me like it's hitting me now. 


The super-gorgeous Timothy Olyphant, again - funnily enough, this time playing a sheriff in 2010 movie 'The Crazies'... arrest me, please!!!
I've been re-reading through what I've written so far this morning, and I actually felt butterflies in my stomach as I read through it all; I felt excited, and proud of what I've managed to get down in less than six days of beginning this novel. The characters are now fully formed, the story is pushing forward, and I'm in love with writing this book. In love! It's a strong story (even if I do say so myself), it's a heartbreaking story at times, hell, it even made me cry when I read certain bits back, but it's something that has provided me with that much-needed distraction; it's given me a chance to see just what I can do in a short time-frame, and it's given me a chance to create a whole new set of characters I am so in love with, I miss them when I have to shut down the laptop each night. Call me crazy, call me sad; I have no life at the minute, that's probably fairly obvious. But at least parking my arse on the sofa last week handed me inspiration I just didn't see coming, but I'm so, so happy it turned up when I just wasn't expecting it.

What kind of book is it, then, exactly? Well, it's a love story - pure and simple. The story of a woman who goes back to a place where she'd once spent a long summer way back when she was young; a place that harbours secrets, and a man she was never really able to forget. It's a complicated love story, a heartbreaking love story, but it's romance my style. Let's not forget that, so, yeah, it's just a little bit sexy, too...


Loving that hat...
So, I just felt the need to get this off my chest - and to tell the world that, hopefully, one day, Sheriff Ethan Everett will make it onto those virtual bookshelves out there, and people will enjoy reading about him, and this story that hit me from right out of nowhere, just as much as I am enjoying writing it. To get to my desk each morning and literally get goosebumps at the thought of spending the day writing this story, that has to be a good thing, doesn't it? Or am I just a little bit crazy...???

Anyway, I'm aiming to have a rough first draft of the book ready by the time I've finished watching the first 4 seasons of Justified. That's my target. We're about to finish season 2 in the next day or so, so that means we should be caught up in around a fortnight's time. And that's when I aim to have the first draft finished, but, we'll see. Who knows what may come up to thwart that best-laid plan, but, that's certainly what I'm aiming for. And I can be one very determined author when I set my mind to it! This story is going to get finished. You can bet your life on that! 

So, watch this space for more info on how I'm doing, and for a few little teasers from the book, too... I think some of you are just going to fall in love with my very own sexy Sheriff...


2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read a teaser of this Michelle. I enjoy your writing style. have enjoyed all of your books that I've managed to read so far. Don't know if you know I recently read Too much trouble in Paradise and watched the darts on the telly the other week, seeing Paul Nicholson brought back memories of that book. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Paul Nicholson - my darts eye-candy!! :) I get my inspiration from the strangest of places sometimes!! ;) x

      Delete