Monday, 21 October 2013

The Paradise, Emun Elliot, and a bit of Dexter - helping me beat the Breaking Bad Blues?

So, it's been just over a week since I watched the finale of Breaking Bad, and it's still not getting any easier. I mean, we've started to watch Dexter now, and even though it's slowly (emphasis on the world slowly, there) starting to grow on me, it's just not in the same league as Breaking Bad

Helping to beat the Breaking Bad Blues? Not really, no...
The acting's nowhere near as good, the storylines are a little too predictable, and Dexter's sister is so far past annoying it's not even funny! But, we're sticking with it. It might get better. And in the meantime I have every intention of watching Breaking Bad from the very beginning all over again in a massive few days of binge-watching some time over Christmas. I was very tempted to start again yesterday, after declaring it a rare "lazy day", but instead I opted for a day of MasterChef Australia. You ever watched MasterChef Australia? It's much better than our UK effort. Much better! You actually care about the contestants on the Australian version, which isn't something I've ever been compelled to do with our MasterChef. 

Anyway, I haven't gone completely cold turkey on anything Breaking Bad related - I'm a regular visitor to YouTube, and I swear, no word of a lie, just getting a couple of minutes of a BB hit by watching a clip from the show or one of the many fan tributes out there, it's like getting a dose of a drug you can't live without. It's ridiculous! I tell you, if you haven't seen Breaking Bad yet, don't! No, seriously, don't. It'll ruin you. TV will never be the same again, believe me. Everything else just seems rubbish after that. 

However, one programme that seems to have bucked that trend for me, and one I was really hoping would do that, is The Paradise, which started its second series last night on BBC One. I absolutely adored the first series, despite not being a fan of costume dramas. Okay, I'll admit, the only reason I gave it a go in the first place was because I had a teeny-tiny crush on Emun Elliot who plays John Moray in the show, but once I started watching it, I just fell in love with the world it had created. 

The gorgeous Emun Elliot as John Moray in The Paradise
The beautiful sets, the soft lighting, the costumes... and it was all filmed literally just around the corner from where I live! It's been one of the few programmes I've watched that can manage to make me switch off completely from the usual million and one things that go round in my head on a daily basis. And, now that they've put it on on a Sunday evening rather than a Tuesday, it makes a wonderful antidote to the hour's worth of ranting I do during the X Factor results show... Oh yes, don't even get me started on that one...


Emun Elliot... yeah, he'll do...
And those of you who know me well will also know that the gorgeous Emun Elliot is my "muse", so to speak, for the character of Ryan Fisher - my hot, sexy footballer in the Striker novels. I first spotted him in Comedy Central's hilarious homegrown comedy Threesome, and as soon as I saw him I just knew that that was how I imagined Ryan Fisher to look. So, as I embark on the final installment of the Striker Trilogy, it's good to have Emun back on my TV as a weekly dose of much-needed inspiration. 


My Breaking Bad boys... I miss you so much...
I'm not saying it's completely taking my mind off those meth-cooking men I grew so attached to in Breaking Bad - it'll take something very special to stop me from missing Walt and Jesse. But The Paradise has the ability to at least clear my mind for an hour every Sunday night, make me forget the farce that is the X Factor (why am I still putting myself through that? Again???) and just relax. So I'm glad it's back, for a lot of reasons.

So, whether I like it or not, I've had to emerge from my Breaking Bad bubble, at least until I start watching reruns, because I've got another novel to write. The third and final installment of the sexy Striker Trilogy is underway, and I'm about to spend the next few months in the company of hot footballers and sexy sports reporters. Not a bad way to spend my time, I have to admit... And, once that book is written, I'm going back to a book I started a few weeks ago. A book featuring a bad boy the like of which I've certainly never written about before - a story of running away, of escape; of love and betrayal, and secrets and lies so explosive... I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to get back to that book. I've already written about a quarter of it (I'm getting quite good at multi-tasking now), and the story is mapped out from beginning to end so, it's just a matter of writing it down, really. 

All is good in my writing world at the minute. There are exciting times ahead, and, well, just watch this space is all I'm going to say for now. But things are happening...

Okay. I've rambled on enough for a Monday morning I think. Time to grab another lemon and ginger tea (I've suddenly become addicted to the stuff), and get myself sorted for another week at the desk. After a quick visit to YouTube though... It's all part of the therapy... ;) 


If you're a fan of Breaking Bad you might want to check out my fun blog dedicated to the show HERE, but beware - it's full of SPOILERS, so, if you haven't seen the show yet, be warned...


No comments:

Post a Comment