Monday, 30 September 2013

Breaking Bad, a brand new book, and a whole new attitude...

OK, before I start, I just want to make it clear that I haven't, as yet, watched the final episode of Breaking Bad. At the time of writing this I'm halfway through season 4, and that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach gets that little bit stronger every day as I get closer to the end of this truly incredible piece of TV. Because I don't want it to end. Clever, clever writing, brilliant acting, and a storyline that hooks you and then reels you in... but, strangely enough, it's also provided a tiny touch of inspiration for the new book I'm working on.

With Extra Time, Book #2 in the Striker Trilogy, now out there, I've decided to take a little break from the world of football to try my hand at something new - writing erotica. Well, my own style of erotica, anyway. It's something I've wanted to do for a while now, and although the timing isn't perfect, with the final book of a trilogy still to finish, when a story hits you, sometimes you've just got to write it. So that's what I'm doing. I'm writing it. I've taken the decision to step back from heavy promoting, I've stopped stressing about book sales, and I've certainly given up submitting to publishers for the foreseeable future. It just isn't worth the hassle and the time anymore. Because I just want to write. And since I made the decision to do that, I can honestly say I've  never been happier.

Anyway, I mentioned before that this new book of mine was inspired by Breaking Bad, or, to be completely accurate, something I saw on Breaking Bad. And that was the relationship between the character of Jesse Pinkman and his neighbour Jane. 

Jesse and Jane...
It was, in my eyes, a relationship that should never really have happened. Neither of them were in the right place to handle it, and in my eyes it was somewhat destructive and ultimately devastating. But I do believe they really loved each other, in some strange kind of way. There was something there. And that's what inspired me to write Beautiful Dangerous. It's the story of a relationship between two very damaged and fragile people, but they need each other. It certainly isn't the story of Jesse and Jane, not by a long shot. But it was heavily inspired by that relationship. Sometimes two people are drawn to each other when they really shouldn't be; for all the wrong reasons. And sometimes the consequences of that can be dangerous. So, thank you Breaking Bad for inspiring my new novel, for helping me get my head straight and finally letting me see what makes me happy - and thank you for giving me the stunningly good Aaron Paul. His acting is currently blowing me away, and for me he's really brought the character of Jesse Pinkman to life. But I'll write more about my obsession with this show once I've finished watching it, which, if we carry on at the rate we're getting through episodes, should be in a little under a fortnight. So no spoilers, please, if you already know the outcome. I may not be held responsible for my actions should somebody blab...

Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad

Anyway, in the meantime, want to find out more about Beautiful Dangerous? Then check out this synopsis of my current work in progress...

Lola White is a long way from home, and Albuquerque, New Mexico, is about as far away from Newcastle, England as you can get. But she needs an escape. And that's just what her uncle has offered her - a chance to begin again. And that's exactly what Lola wants to do  - she wants to keep her head down and forget.

But when Jesse Carpenter walks into her life she's instantly addicted to a man who offers her a way to forget she really shouldn't take, but she does. And as he draws her deeper into a dark world of drugs and hot, seedy sex, Lola feels like she can finally put her old life to rest. She just doesn't see how dangerous her new one is becoming.

Her relationship with Jesse turns obsessive, their lives becoming one, long, drink and drug-fuelled whirl of sex and sleeping, until her uncle intervenes... with devastating consequences. And all of sudden Lola's world takes a shocking turn as secrets are exposed, and the stakes become higher than anybody could have expected...

So there we go. A brief outline of what this new book of mine is going to be about, and it's a book I can't write fast enough. But it's also a book that is strictly for adults only. Striker and Extra Time were hot, I mean, they had some pretty explicit sex scenes in there, but this has gone one step further, because I do believe that there's a difference between erotic romance and erotica. So I'm warning you now. Just so you know. This ain't no Christmas Without Icing, believe me...

Aaron Paul... I think I might be just a little bit in love...

Anyway, I feel like a whole new chapter in my writing life has begun over the past few weeks. Gone is the worry that I'm not good enough to do this, that others are better than me; that I'm not doing enough to promote, not putting myself out there enough. But I don't care. I don't want to be like everyone else. I'm tired of spending way too much time trying to conform, to do what I think I should be doing instead of just doing what I want to do. I don't have to conform, I don't have to do what everybody else is doing. I just have to be me. And this is me. Doing what I want to do. Writing what I want to write, when I want to write it. And I'm excited about the future all over again, after months of being down on myself and wondering if it was all worth it. I've got a hell of a lot of stories left to tell, and I'll be writing them all just the way I want to write them... yeah, I'm excited. The passion is back. 

He doesn't have to tell me twice...

So, I guess all that's left to say now is - in true Jesse Pinkman style - Yo! Bring it on, Bitch!  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds intriguing Michelle. You know there's a few of us out there who will be looking forward to reading this Hun. All I will say for now is keep going! xx

    ReplyDelete