Wednesday, 7 August 2013

'Extra Time' - The Playlist. The music that shaped my forthcoming book.

"She closed her eyes as a moment of utter weakness took over, blinding her to everything else that was happening, everything he was saying, drowning it out in a rush of emotion so strong she couldn’t breathe. And as his mouth touched hers, pressing gently against it, moving slowly, tongues touching, entwining in the most beautiful, deep kiss, she knew she didn’t need to. She didn't need to breathe, he was breathing for her, he was giving her everything she needed because that’s what he did.

Slipping a hand round the back of his neck she pushed him down harder onto her, the kiss getting faster and longer, his hand now sliding under her shirt to touch her naked skin, cupping her breast, sending shivers up and down her spine so strong she literally felt herself shudder in his arms.

But then, almost as fast as this sudden rush of feelings had arrived, a sense of reality hit home like a punch to the stomach and she pushed him away, stepping back, shaking her head..."
 
That was another tiny teaser from Extra Time - the soon-to-be-released second installment of The Striker Trilogy. Just a little something to whet your appetite, if you happen to be one of those people looking forward to meeting up with the characters from Striker again, and seeing just where this new story takes them... 
But, as is usual for me when I'm writing, I write with a playlist - a soundtrack of music that has helped me, inspired me, even guided me along as the story develops. And Extra Time is no different. 
So, just what are some of the songs that have provided the soundtrack to this latest offering in my sexy soccer saga? Read on to find out...
 
En Vogue - Don't Let Go


One of my favourite songs, ever! From one of my favourite girl bands. And it's the lyrics of this song that inspired certain sections of Extra Time... just not saying which ones...
Jordin Sparks - No Air
A beautiful love song with - as far as Extra Time is concerned - incredibly meaningful lyrics... in fact, if I think about the lyrics too much, and put them together with the scenes in the book they're associated with, it actually makes me come over all emotional...
The Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme
Surprisingly, for me, a dance track makes an appearance on this playlist. But it's a dance track with lyrics that mean something as far as this book is concerned...
Lawson - Brokenhearted 
A bit of a current song here, which is unusual for me, seeing as I very rarely listen to a radio station that plays anything released after 1998 these days! But I love this song, and the lyrics - well, once again, they're the important thing here, aren't they...?
Layo & Bushwacka! - Love Story (Tim Deluxe Mix)
I'm not the biggest dance music fan in the world,so it's surprising to see another dance track make an appearance on this list, but I have loved this track ever since it came out years ago. First and foremost it reminds me of some fabulous holidays, but that's irrelevant here. It's also a dance track that has lyrics that mean something to this new story of mine...  
"...you will make the worlds collide, I knew you'd come knocking one day, unannounced like a thief in the night..."
Janet Jackson - If 
One of Janet's... naughtier, shall we say, songs from the 90s. Listen to the lyrics - you'll see why this one is on this playlist... 'nuff said, I think...
Beyonce & Shakira - Beautiful Liar (Freemasons Mix)
Even the title says it all here...
Lisa Stansfield - Time To Make You Mine 
A beautiful song, again, with lyrics that could be described as a little bit racy - bit like this new book of mine, then...
Beyonce - Crazy in Love 
Come on - got to have this one on my playlist!
Alicia Keys - Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart 
And finally, an absolutely gorgeous, gorgeous song that says so much about this forthcoming book of mine. Just listening to this song actually makes me cry! Especially the opening verse, because it relates to an incredibly emotional part of the book... I can feel that lump in me throat again already...

Okay. There we have it. The main songs on my Extra Time playlist - the soundtrack to this forthcoming book. And there are songs on there that have truly inspired parts of the story, so much so that if you listen to the lyrics too hard you might actually find one or two spoilers in there!! 
This is something I love doing - finding songs that inspire me, songs that can actually lead a story. And that story is due to hit those virtual bookshelves in just a few weeks' time now, as long as the editing continues to go to plan, that is. Talking of which, I'd better get back to it, and take this playlist with me. Who knows how it could help with those all-important final touches... ;)
 
Extra Time - Book Two in The Striker Trilogy - is due for release in September 2013.
Striker - Book One in the series - is available HERE from Amazon and HERE from Kobo.  
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment