Thursday, 4 July 2013

Big Brother UK, The Apprentice, and a little mid-week wrting catch-up...

Now, I'm going to admit that I'm really enjoying Big Brother this year. I think there are a few housemates in there that are vaguely entertaining, some that are downright annoying and irritating, and some that should get off the fence before those splinters penetrate their boring arses! Floaters are the worst kind of housemate in my opinion, but they always end up being the ones we're left with at the end because no bugger ever nominates them, which in turn means that we - the public - don't get the chance to boot their pointless backsides out of that house faster than you can say "diary room"!


However, this week those crafty people over at BB Headquarters have decided to spring a bit of a surprise on us - except, it's not really a surprise, is it? It's not really a new idea, or a twist that shocked any of us who've sat through years of Big Brothers. (I'm not proud of it.) No. This "safe house" fake eviction twist they're embarking on has already been done before - twice before, if my memory serves me correctly. But it was first done in spectacular fashion back in Big Brother 5 when they "fake evicted" Emma and Michelle and stuck them in the "bed sit", only to see them re-enter a week later after watching and listening to everything the other housemates had said and done. In fact, it was their return after a week in the "bed sit" that kicked off the now infamous "fight night", and after that (highly entertaining, it has to be said) debacle no other "fake eviction into secret room" twist could ever match up. Ever. So I'm not exactly sitting here overcome with excitement about Friday's "fake eviction" show, because, after BB5, it couldn't ever be anywhere near as exciting to watch.


Having said that, though, I'm still curious as to how it'll go this year, as, like I said before, we do have some potentially interesting situations that could ensue with this twist, depending on who the public see fit to put into the "Safe House". Personally, I'm going with Dexter and Gina, for a couple of reasons - I've gone right off Wolfy in the past week or so, and I don't particularly want her to be immune from nominations next week, (as those who go into the "safe house" will be), and my second reason is because I think Dexter and Gina will make the most out of "spying" on everyone else. Their return to the house will also have the biggest impact on the house (and probably have the show's psychologists on permanent standby, given what happened back in BB5...) because the majority of housemates seem to want them out - well, they want Dexter out, anyway. Although I don't know why. I think he's slowly morphing into Alan Partridge so you can leave him where he is for me. And anyway, anyone who irritates everyone in the house as much as Dexter does has to be better entertainment than watching Sam or Sophie wanting everyone to be nice to each other. How interesting is that?

Anyway, if they think Dexter's been evicted, only to have him rock up back inside the house a few days later, armed with information they had no idea he was privy to, well... all I can say is, keep those butter knives hidden (you won't know what the hell I mean by that, unless you're familiar with "fight night"...) and get ready for fireworks. Actually, I'm quite warming to this twist now...

However - and this is a big however - a number of the housemates in there this year aren't stupid. And it really wouldn't surprise me if more than a couple of them twig what's going on on Friday. This twist has been done before, and always when a double eviction is sprung on them, so, any real fans of the show could quite easily put two-and-two together and guess what's happening. Which would ruin everything. But that's what you get when you start recycling old twists.... Just saying...

Anyway, onto another of my favourite "reality" shows - The Apprentice - (UK version). I was glad to see Myles go last night, because, in my opinion, he should have been fired last week after that dreadful ready meals task. But instead we lost the last of the comedy element from this year's show, the wonderful Alex. Both him and Jason have been a great miss in the past couple of weeks, and as far as I'm concerned the pair of them should go down as Apprentice Legends. They both provided some of the most hilarious, entertaining moments from this series. Having said that, though, it's the interviews next week, and that's always good for a laugh. Especially when someone's outed as having written a complete load of crap on their CV...


The Apprentice, cast of 2013... Brilliant stuff...
My husband thinks Luisa has it in the bag - but not because he wants her to win, far from it - which is just as well, because I can't bear the woman. Her voice drives me mad, I'm not entirely sure she's the incredible businesswoman she claims to be (although I'll give her the benefit of the doubt on that one - I'm probably judging her unfairly from all those stories about her in The Sun...) and I still can't forgive her for getting Jason fired. Sorry, but I still blame her. That poor bloke did not "abdicate" from his position as project manager, he was overthrown! It was a bloody coup! Headed by Luisa. And I can't forgive her for that. I was a little bit in love with Jason...

Mind you, despite me not wanting her to win, I still think it'll be a female winner this year. After last night's task, and rather entertaining boardroom debacle with Myles, Neil and Jordan (4 hours to buy candles???? I could have been in and out in 20 minutes...), I'm not sure Lord Sugar wants to go into business with either of the remaining two blokes. But, we'll see. Only two weeks to go and then we'll know who's won the chance to go into business with Lord Sugar. Only two weeks to go before one of the most entertaining shows on TV is off our screens. :( Loving it this year...

Okay. Enough of my reality TV ramblings, and onto my brief, mid-week writing catch-up. At the beginning of this week I took the decision to take July off, so to speak. And that didn't mean a month off to watch multiple episodes of Knots Landing, bake cup cakes and go shopping. Oh no. What I meant was I'm taking the month off from everything else, apart from writing. I'm weaning myself off social media for a while, not allowing myself to be distracted by Facebook/Twitter/YouTube (although, the latter will be allowed for "research" purposes...), and my foot is well and truly off the marketing peddle. Now, this could mean a drop in book sales over the next few weeks, or it might make no difference at all, I don't know. All I know is that it's working. My mind is so much clearer, and I've now drafted out the final few chapters of Extra Time, including an ending I'm more than happy with, and one that will lead us perfectly into the final book in the Striker Trilogy. My writing is just flowing like you wouldn't believe! I was never the biggest fan of faffing about on Facebook anyway, mainly because, most of the time, I have absolutely nothing to say. My life is incredibly boring, and I'm almost certain that nobody really wants to know that I'm knocking up a quiche whilst watching repeats of Comedy Central's Threesome, so I doubt I'll be a huge miss. Nothing is really going on, except me throwing myself completely into this new book, so, I just thought it better and more productive if I actually finished writing the book, rather than writing about writing the book. Do you get my drift?

Anyway. like I said, I may have cut myself off from the world of social networking for a while, to what effect I have yet to find out, but I'm actually enjoying it. Yes, it does get a bit lonely at times, especially around mid-afternoon when you could really do with someone dropping you a humorous text or just asking how you are, you know, something to make you realise you really aren't completely on your own. But, I'm getting on with it, pushing forward, and if I continue in this way then the first draft of Extra Time will be finished by - if not before - the end of July!


I want these boots...
So, there we have it. That's what I've been up to lately. And tomorrow it's a rare day off to actually go and do some shopping, even though I said that wasn't what I was using this month off for. But, there comes a time when we all need just a little bit of retail therapy, and if I spot those cowboy boots I've been after I'm coming home with them... 


Speak to you all soon! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment