Monday, 17 June 2013

The Voice UK, Big Brother, and a little bit of Bradley Cooper...

The Voice UK gets a lot of stick, and I really don't know why, because I actually enjoy it. It - obviously - gets compared to our other reality "talent" show, The X Factor, but in my eyes The Voice wins hands down. There are no ad breaks every five minutes for starters. And Gary Barlow isn't on the judging panel, which is another HUGE bonus for me. (Yes, I am still very much a Take That fan, but I just can't bear the bloke when he's on X Factor...) I also think the talent is actually that little bit better on The Voice, too. No Rylans or Jedwards in sight, and also, we seem to get a much broader range of singers and musical genres on The Voice, which makes it way more interesting than just a conveyor belt of manufactured bands and plastic pop stars.


Take a look at the line-up for this coming Saturday's final of The Voice UK - all four singers are completely different, in my opinion. We have Leah, who's on the more edgy side of the pop spectrum (although I, personally, don't rate her, but that's just me), then there's Andrea, who really does have the voice of an angel, Matt, who's a soul man with attitude, and my favourite, Mike - the country boy from Salford! Who'd have thought? The UK is finally embracing country music! Of course, he wouldn't have got past Boot Camp stage if he was on X Factor because that programme just can't seem to handle any genre that doesn't involve mindless pap, so we should really be grateful to The Voice for allowing artists to be more flexible, and be who they really want to be. Although, I would just like it to be known, that although we have a very varied final ahead of us on Saturday, I'm not completely happy with the line-up. I'd rather Cleo had gone through on Will's team because I, personally, thought she absolutely smashed that En Vogue song last week. 'Don't Let Go' is one of my all-time favourite songs and I thought she sang it brilliantly! She was amazing! Forget what the press have been spouting off about her, that girl can sing! So sad to see her go home, and not happy with Will.i.am for showing quite obvious bias towards Leah. Yes, she's different, but she ain't that different. Cleo is a classic singer - ageless, timeless. She'll still be able to knock out hits years from now. Will Leah? Or will her "edgy" voice be edgy no more in ten years time? When the kids have got bored and moved onto something else... Just my opinion, but I hate it when we go into a final they're calling a one-horse-race. Mind you, when you look at the history of these competitions, sometimes it's better to wish for second place...

Anyway, one final note about The Voice UK - the judges. As I mentioned before, the judging panel on The X Factor does my head in, it really does. Gary Barlow annoys me, can't be doing with that Nicole Scherzinger, and if I hear Louis Walsh say "you really made that song your own" one more time I may not be responsible for my actions. The only saving grace this year is the return of Sharon Osbourne. I liked her when she was a judge a few years ago, so we'll see how it goes now she's back. If she can wipe that smug look off Barlow's face at least a few times during the series that'll do for me. But, back to The Voice UK judges. They've grown on me in this second series. I mean, I've always loved (Sir) Tom Jones, and that was never gonna change. And this year, as I was last year, I'm Team Tom all the way! And there's always been something about Danny O'Donoghue that I've liked. His music, for a start. I do like The Script. But it's taken until series 2 for me to really have a soft spot for Will.i.am (although that took a slight nosedive when he showed obvious favouritism towards Leah), and as for Jessie J, I actually really like her. She speaks a lot of sense sometimes. And I've never seen anyone suit hair that short in a long time. She looks stunning!

So, as far as this coming Saturday's final is concerned, I'm rooting for Mike Ward and Team Tom! Let's go country!!!

Yep... it's back...
Right, onto something slightly more controversial now - the new series of Big Brother! And, God forgive me, I've started watching it. And, more worryingly, I'm enjoying it! Now, people who know me, or who've read my previous posts regarding Big Brother, will know that I was a huge fan of the first three series'. They were good, they were what the show was initially all about - throwing a group of random people into a house and letting them get on with it. However, after series three (with the possible exception of BB5, because that was actually a pretty good series... the infamous "fight night" was a particular highlight...) the manipulation took over and the show began to die on its arse. Me and my husband still watched it, because we'd been such fans of the original concept. But watching it slowly became a chore rather than an enjoyable experience. So when Channel 4 binned it, it was no surprise. And it wasn't really a surprise when Channel 5 bought it. And we watched about 2 weeks of the "new" Big Brother once Channel 5 began showing it again, but then we gave up. The show had turned into nothing but an excuse to chuck a group of teenagers together, give them lots of alcohol, an assortment of pathetic, pointless tasks and watch them implode. Not really fun to watch. 

So, for the past couple of years we haven't bothered. I did watch the Celebrity version at the beginning of this year, and it was okay. But this year is the first year in a while we've decided to give the "normal" version of BB a shot. Why? Well, I heard a rumour last week that they were "going back to basics" - that they were going to have to bake their own bread, grow their own veg, wash their own clothes, etc... Everything they had to do back in the early days. Although, the claim that they were putting "ordinary" people in rather than fame-hungry wannabes was pushing it slightly. A lot of them in that house are far from "ordinary", but, and I'll give Channel 5 one thing - at least they've attempted to put in a wide range of people of varying ages from 18 to 59. A good age range always gives way to a better show, in my opinion. Too many young people is just a recipe for boredom. They might think they're having fun boozing and bed-swapping, but it makes for really crap viewing.


New BB Presenter Emma Willis. You're doing a good job so far, pet...
And making Emma Willis presenter of the main show was a good decision in my opinion, too. As much as I loved Brian Dowling (he has to be one of my favourite BB contestants ever!) she is a much better host. 


The Big Brother garden... I give that vegetable patch a fortnight...
So, I'm back on the Big Brother Bandwagon, and I'm not sorry. I'll give it a go, see how it progresses, and see just how much some of them in there can annoy me before I crack! Because some of them really are annoying me. They really are! Mentioning no names in particular because, of course, thanks to the beauty of editing, opinions as to exactly who is getting on me nerves can change by the day... 

But, what the viewers need to remember about a show like Big Brother, is that the housemates who annoy you may not be the ones you should be getting rid of. No matter how much you want to. We aren't living with them, but we are watching them - get rid of the ones who stir things, cause trouble, actually get off their backsides and do something and you run the risk of being left with nothing but a house full of radar flyers. Not good.

At the minute, then, it's keeping my attention, but, we're not even a week in yet. There's still time for it to go tits-up and fall flat on its face. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, for now, although, Michael "the mole" really needs to be careful and not overact too much, and let's see how long that vegetable garden lasts, eh? We're giving it a fortnight before they just say "sod it", and go without veg for the next three months...


Oh, and I did say there was going to be a little bit of Bradley Cooper in this post, didn't I? A very little bit, actually. The Place Beyond the Pines - great film, brilliantly acted by Ryan Gosling (I know! Him and Bradley Cooper in the same movie!), Eva Mendes and Bradley Cooper, and well worth seeing if you like movies that are a little bit different. Kept me engrossed for the two-and-a-bit hours it was on. Brilliant stuff...

Right, I'm off to get some more writing done. This sequel to Striker won't write itself, and this first draft really should be finished by now. But sometimes I just get so distracted... ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment