Friday, 3 May 2013

What am I doing today? A rewrite, that's what...

Yep. A rewrite - that's exactly what I'm doing today. This morning I have proved to myself that I really can't switch off, no matter how much I want to. My mind is always whirring, always thinking about the book I'm writing, the characters I'm currently living with (and even the ones I'd quite like to live with in the future!). So, even though I just wanted to settle down in front of the TV last night and look forward to the new series of Waterloo Road followed by the much-anticipated MasterChef final, my brain wouldn't let me. Oh no. That just wasn't happening, because, for some reason, halfway through that aforementioned new series of Waterloo Road I decided that 'Extra Time', the second book in the Striker Trilogy - I suddenly decided it needed a rewrite. Oh, not a major one, I mean, I'm not scrapping the whole thing and starting again, far from it. But one of the characters, well, I'm not happy with the way their story is going in this sequel. I don't think it's strong enough, and I'm definitely not feeling it. The other characters, I'm quite excited about how their journeys are progressing, but last night, as my enjoyment of my favourite school-based drama was rudely interrupted, I realised that this other character - and they're quite a major character so it's not like I can just ignore this - I needed to stop and think about just where they were going. What I don't want is a story that isn't strong enough, that's weak and half-hearted; that character doesn't deserve that. And leaving things the way they are could also mean I run the risk of bringing the rest of the story down, and I'm not willing to do that.


Which of these characters from 'Striker' is about to take a very different journey in 'Extra Time'?
For the past week or so I've had a little niggling doubt at the back of my mind that this character's story wasn't really going in the right direction, but I tried to kid myself that I was wrong, that I could make it work, but, like I said before, I just wasn't feeling it. And, as a writer, if you're not feeling something, then it probably means you shouldn't be writing it. 

It's only one strand of the story, of course, and changing this character's direction isn't really going to affect the story all that much, but it does mean a substantial rewrite in parts. But it's necessary. I think that, what I've now got planned for them, I think it'll make the story flow better, I really do. I guess, before, I was almost making them do something they didn't really want to do, making them go somewhere they didn't really want to go, and eventually they let me know that something was wrong. So I'm dealing with it. I'd rather they'd waited until after the MasterChef final to let me know there was a problem because, quite frankly, I wasn't concentrating. Those finalists could have been cooking beans on toast for all the notice I was taking at times, but when your characters are talking to you, it's pretty hard to ignore them. Or am I just weird? Don't answer that...

Anyway, after sleeping on it, my decision hasn't changed. And that character whose journey wasn't heading in the right direction, well, they're now going to have a slightly different journey thrust upon them, but, deep down inside, I think it was the journey they were always meant to go on. And I can't really say any more because saying anything about what any of the characters from Striker are up to in 'Extra Time' would really spoil it for anyone who hasn't yet read the first installment in this trilogy of books... However, all I can say is, I hope those who have read Striker will like what's coming next. There are some surprises in store, lots more sexy scenes... and a lot of hard work lies ahead for me! Evidently!! Still, what's happening right now is just another example of how the characters authors create can actually let us know themselves whether or not we're doing right by them. They have a voice - and I'm glad I listened

Right, I'd better get cracking then. I've got a lot of work to do... 

Just another day in the life of this indie author... ;)

Have a great weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment