Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Hello, 2013!

So, another year has gone, and a new one is just beginning! But I had a really lovely Christmas - quiet, but nice.  Just the way I like it.  Highlights?  Well, my Christmas dinner was pretty damn good, even if I do say so myself! ;)


My Christmas dinner, cooked by me!
I'm no Delia, but I can't half knock out a decent festive dinner.  And it tasted fab! All washed down with a lovely glass or two of dry white wine followed by an afternoon of slobbing about on the sofa watching Christmas films and trying not to think about food! 

And, of course, another highlight of the festive season here in our house is the PDC darts World Championships from the Alexandra Palace in London.  Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without the darts, and although I didn't watch it as religiously as I have done in the past, what I did watch I enjoyed.  And last night's final between Dutchman Michael van Gerwan and Phil Taylor was a good one.  Even though I didn't actually want Taylor to win it... Congratulations to him though.  Both of them played extremely well.


Christmas darts in our house...
Other highlights included getting a brand new Kindle Fire as a present from my fabulous husband - who obviously listens to hints - and rearranging the back room to finally get that spare bedroom we've been meaning to sort out for years now.  It meant me getting new desks to fit into the new layout of the room, but my writing space is now sorted once and for all, and I'm just about getting used to that! 


My new writing space.
We also watched a few movies over the holidays, and I've got to share my two favourites - the first was Ted, the story of a man and his relationship with his Teddy Bear.  Click the link and check it out for yourself, because it probably is as ridiculous as it sounds, but I loved it!  You have to have a certain sense of humour to enjoy this kind of film though, and if you're easily offended by... well, anything, really, then avoid it.  Like the plague!  It's crude, rude, and just a little bit silly, but I laughed.  A lot.  Well done to Seth MacFarlane for creating a very cute, but very grown-up teddy bear!  I've heard a rumour there's going to be a Ted 2, and I hope it's true.  I'd certainly like to see what else that bear can get up to...


And the second film that I thoroughly enjoyed over Christmas - on New Year's Eve to be exact - was Men in Black 3.  I've always loved Will Smith, and he certainly didn't disappoint in this third installment of the Men in Black franchise.  Actually, all of the cast were good, and personally, I thought Josh Brolin was an inspired choice to play the younger version of Tommy Lee Jones' character Agent K.  The movie was fast, funny, and full of what fans of the films like.  And I for one was happy to see these characters return to the big screen after a long absence.  


OK.  So, there are a few of my festive highlights, but were there any low points?  Yeah.  One or two.  And, apart from weighing about a stone more than I did before Christmas started, The Royle Family Christmas Special was a huge disappointment.  Now, I have loved this programme over the years, but the last few haven't been the best, and this one was no exception.  I just think that what used to be a comedy most of us could relate to has become slightly silly, and I didn't really laugh at all during this hour-long Christmas special.  Not the best they've done.  Mind you, if we're talking Christmas TV in general, it was poor.  There wasn't really anything on that made me sit up and take notice, so it was just as well I had my new Kindle Fire to faff about with.  However, if we're talking comedy, I have to return to the subject of highlights and mention the hilarious Mrs Brown's Boys.  Again, I think you have to have a certain sense of humour to find it funny, but for me personally I think it's one of the funniest things on TV right now, apart from The Hotel, but I'm not sure that's meant to be quite as funny as it is!  As far as the Christmas episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys was concerned, I was crying laughing during the nativity play episode... just brilliant! 

Anyway, I think I've rambled on enough about Christmas now.  I had a good one, I enjoyed myself, but now it's back to reality, back to work, and back to the writing.  I've got a book to finish, a new one in the planning stages, and another Christmas novella already planned out and ready to write for this coming Christmas.  I've given myself a lot to do this year, so, I'd better get back to it.  

I hope everyone else had a great Christmas, and here's hoping that the coming year is good for all of you, whatever you're doing.  So, come on 2013 - let's see what you've got in store...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment