Monday, 10 December 2012

'X Factor' Monday - We have a winner!

Congratulations to fellow northerner James Arthur for winning 'X Factor' 2012 last night - but was it the right result for him?  I'm still not sure myself.  This morning he's been talking about how he wants to get things moving as quickly as possible, release some music really soon, but I'm just not sure how easy that's going to be.  I'm not sure how much creative control he's realistically going to have, but, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that pans out for him.

James Arthur - X Factor 2012 winner! Photo: itv.com
His winner's single is, as I write this, already number 1 in the iTunes chart, but whether it makes it to the Christmas number 1 slot still remains to be seen.  Making it a charity single certainly means it's probably got a better chance than it would have otherwise had, but there are a lot of charity singles knocking about right now so it's difficult to say what we'll see at the top of the festive charts to be honest.  I, personally, haven't taken notice of the charts since about 1996 so I couldn't really care less what the Christmas number 1 is, but if it's something that's making a bit of money for a worthy cause then, whatever it is, that can't be a bad thing, can it?

So, 'X Factor' 2012 is now over, and I can't say I'm sorry to see the back of it.  It also, apparently, ended with the worst set of viewing figures in a long time, probably confirming that it really is time this show was either put to bed, or given the biggest shake-up, because it needs it.  And I don't think it'll be axed, not yet, anyway, so a shake-up it is then.  Please.  Because I can't (and won't) sit through another 17 weeks of what I've endured this year.  And, yes, I know I could have switched off but I only kept watching in the hope that Christopher Maloney would actually win and bring this show to its knees, but that dream ended on Saturday evening leaving us with a half-credible winner.  From the north east.  So I'm not really complaining on that score, but I just think that the whole point of the show has got lost over the years.  I mean, did anyone notice the complete lack of distress on Jahmene's face last night when it was announced that James had won, meaning he'd come second?  Yeah, there wasn't one, because, to all intents and purposes, he'd won too.  He'll also get a recording contract, he'll also get a career out of this, and if 'X Factor' history is anything to go by he'll probably end up with a better and longer career than James will!  So, I think, personally, that this show needs to be turned back into a competition - make it one recording contract up for grabs, and that's all.  Just the one.  Anyone else should just have to hope and pray that someone comes along and signs them too, but, of course, that'll never happen.  Because I still think this show is nothing more than a money-making machine for certain people who will sign up all the decent acts regardless of how far they make it on the show.  There's really nothing to play for, no huge, final prize - or not one that matters, anyway.  And quite a few people see winning the actual show as double-edged sword, so, really, what's the point? 

Anyway, I think I've been on me soapbox enough times over the past few weeks about all of that, everyone knows my feelings on it by now, so, let's look at last weekend's final then.  Was it any good?  Well, I thought it was okay.  Saturday was, anyway.  Although, I have to admit, I enjoyed it far more because I'd recorded it while I was watching 'Strictly Come Dancing' on SKY+ and could therefore whizz through the adverts. 

Jahmene Douglas - X Factor 2012 runner-up. I liked him - a lot. Photo: itv.com
The song choices were okay, the duets with the mentors were good, and I especially enjoyed Christopher Maloney's duet with Gary Barlow.  I was initially a bit sceptical that he could pull off one of my favourite Take That songs - 'Rule the World' - but he did.  Quite well, actually, thanks to Gary, I reckon.  But it was good.  Not quite sure what the hoo-ha with Jahmene Douglas' microphone was during his duet with Nicole Scherzinger though.  She claimed it wasn't working, but we could hear him okay in our house, so I came to the probably slightly cynical conclusion that she realised his autotune wasn't turned on and that's why she took it off him, but that's just me being me.  I guess we may never find out, but she didn't look happy at the end of that song.  She had a face on her that could turn the milk!  I suspect somebody's head rolled, but anyway, Saturday night's part of the final weekend was okay - even if Kylie Minogue still makes me green with envy!  When is that woman going to start looking her age?  She's the same age as me but she makes me feel like I should be in the cast of 'Last of the Summer Wine'... She looks stunning! 

Sunday night, however, had me bored rigid!  I just wanted it all to be overwith, to be honest.  In fact, I spent most of the show reading through a Christmas TV listings magazine and moaning about how much rubbish is on television over the festive period.  Although, my night was made after reading that 'The Hotel' is back for another new series at the end of the month - and we're back at The Grosvenor!  That programme was the best comedy on telly, I can't wait for it to start again... Anyway, I digress.  Yes, for me, Sunday's final show was a bit of an anti-climax for me.  Once Christopher had been knocked out (and mysteriously didn't reappear on Sunday's show along with the rest of the finalists, but I'm not even getting into that one right now) it felt a bit obvious who the winner was going to be.  At that point I felt that James had it in the bag, and I was right.  And do I like his winner's single?  No.  Not really.  I mean, it's okay, but I'm just sad/angry/disappointed that this programme has meant we now no longer have a nice, Christmas song at number 1 like we used to when I was a child (back in the dark ages, otherwise known as the 70s!)  I miss Cliff Richard...

So, it's over.  Finished.  And all that's left now is to sit back and wait and see who has the biggest career out of all of this year's finalists.  The winner?  The one that came second?  Christopher Maloney...?  It's anybody's guess...


No comments:

Post a Comment