Monday, 3 December 2012

Darts, Doughnuts, Decorations... and the dullest 'X Factor' semi-final ever...

Yes, that just about sums up the past few days for me.  I've been nowhere the computer you see, not since last Wednesday.  I decided to take a few days away from it to go and get me hair done - which I did last Thursday - and then come Friday, after a particularly festive day in Newcastle which included the usual viewing of the annual Christmas Window display in Fenwicks Department Store in the city centre, I decided it was time to put our own decorations up.   

Long shot of Fenwicks Christmas Window Display
And a close-up of one of the windows...

I just didn't realise it would take the best part of a day to stick a tree and a few bits of tinsel up in an average-sized three-bedroom house!  Of course, discovering that the Darts Players Championships was on ITV4 for the next three days didn't help either so, once the tree was up and the carpet had been vacuumed for the fourth time that day, I plonked meself down on the sofa and got settled in for a weekend of darts!  Heaven!  And congratulations to Phil Taylor for a pretty-much well-deserved win.  But a huge "BOO" to Paul Nicholson, my darts eye-candy, for getting knocked out in the first round and therefore giving me no other option but to concentrate on the darts for the rest of the weekend.  Thoroughly enjoyed it, though.  It's been a long time since both me and hubby have sat down to enjoy three days of darts action.  

Anyway, as well as the darts, I did have to have my weekend fix of reality TV so, to begin with, I'd just like to say how happy I am that Charlie Brooks won 'I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!', how sad I am that Michael Vaughan had his last dance on 'Strictly Come Dancing', and how bored I was during 'The X Factor'!  It was the most mind-numbing semi-final I have ever had the mis-pleasure of sitting through.  In fact, I was so bored at one point that I started playing 'Fruits&Fun' on me 'phone because it was providing more entertainment than anything that was on the TV!

 Performance-wise, Christopher Maloney did what he seems to do best - belt out middle-of-the-road classics to make granny smile and Simon Cowell quake in his boots; Union J decided to play it more safe than a room full of Health and Safety officers by giving us two totally yawn-inducing ballads that proved (to me, anyway) that they're nothing special; Jahmene was good, but I still got bored, and even James Arthur failed to instill any excitement from me.  Although, his version of the Frankie Goes To Hollywood classic 'The Power of Love' probably was the best performance of the night, but, quite frankly, it wouldn't have taken much to be better than the dross that had gone before it. 

The results show last night, however, went according to plan.  Union J had been the bookie's favourite to be voted off by the public, and they were proved right.  And to me it was no real surprise.  I mean, come on - One Direction are less than a year old and already we're looking at another reincarnation of exactly the same thing!  It's a terrifying thought that, in future, all the 'X Factor' becomes is a vehicle to find the "next big boy band" and that year after year all we're going to get is yet another bunch of over-pretty young boys shoved in our faces until the screaming girls get wise to it all and decide they've had enough.  can we make that sooner rather than later, please?  The world really doesn't need another One Direction.  And maybe that's why Union J found themselves falling at the final hurdle - they are direct competition to One Direction (and don't anyone dare tell me they're not because you can't tell them apart!  Well, apart from the fact 1D has an extra member...) and maybe their fans don't want to see that just yet.  It's a tough old world out there in boy band land, you know.  They'll still force them down our throats, of course.  I'm already prepared for that.

Christopher Maloney - this year's 'X Factor' winner?
Sorry, where was I?  Oh yeah.  Last night's 'X Factor' results show.  So, it would seem that the granny vote beat the teenage girl vote last night as Christopher Maloney made all of Simon Cowell's nightmares come true by taking his place in next weekend's 'X Factor' 2012 final in Manchester - and I think it's hilarious!  The producers ploy of getting the judges to be "nice" to him to try and deflect the "sympathy votes" was too little too late and was so obvious it was almost cringeworthy!  But it  didn't work anyway, did it?  Oh, come on, surely nobody is still taking this show seriously?  I think I mentioned last week that it doesn't really matter whether you win or not, those that are good enough will still find themselves with a career (and yes, Tulisa, I know you commented on how you''re sick of people saying this but we say it because it's true - deal with it.  We weren't the ones who turned this show into a pointless waste of time) but I really want Christopher to win this, if only to see what the hell they do with him!  It'll probably guarantee that the 'X Factor' winner will not have the Christmas number one this year, that's for sure.  And surely that's only the first reason why we should all vote for Christopher to win.  And I'm not being facetious or deliberately spiteful towards the other finalists here, because, in my opinion, both Jahmene and James are more than good enough to get a recording contract.  Losing won't damage them in any way whatsoever, it really won't.  But if Christopher wins then it proves that this show has turned into a farce.  Every week I keep banging on about this and I'll say it again today - if 'X Factor' is to remain on our screens then it needs an overhaul.  A complete shake-up.  Because if it continues the way it's been going - as nothing but a money-making vehicle to find acts that will earn certain people a lot of money and sod the viewers - then it's only going to get worse.  I'm a big believer of the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but 'The X Factor' has been broken for a while now, and I think it's going to take a lot more than a tube of Superglue to put it back together again.

Oh, and one more thing before I leave that subject alone - Tulisa.  Could she have looked any more bored than she did on last weekend's shows?  She looked how I felt, but then I wasn't a judge on the telly because if I had been I might have at least tried to pretend I was interested.  Maybe her mind's on all those novels she's got to write...

I haven't mentioned the doughnut part of this post's title yet, have I?  Where do they come into it all then?  Well, there I was in Tesco's on Saturday, loitering around the magazine stand trying to read the covers of all the TV mags to see if I can find any clues to this year's Christmas soap storylines when, out of the corner of my eye, I notice something that I can only say made my day - my local Tesco's are now stocking Krispy Kreme doughnuts!  So, of course, I just had to try one, didn't I?  And at £1.75 a pop it really was just the one too!  I plumped for a Chocolate Praline Fudge Cake doughnut, ignored the calorie content, and enjoyed that doughnut like I've never enjoyed a doughnut before!  Thank you, Krispy Kreme, I will be back...


1 comment:

  1. Good post, Michelle - my view is that the top 3 X-factor contestants will all get contracts anyway, so why bother with a final? Also I think it's high time the mentors were NOT the judges becase of course (at the moment) they're going to rave about their own acts, and find faults with the others. It would be far better to have objective judges. But what do I know?

    ReplyDelete