Monday, 26 November 2012

'X Factor' Monday - Bye Bye, Rylan!

About six weeks too late, but there you go.  As this year's 'X Factor' trundles on towards the final in two weeks time, Rylan Clark's rather outstayed welcome came to an end last night, and, do you know what?  I think I'll miss him.  Yep, now that I've stopped watching this programme as a talent show - because I reckon it stopped being that a long time ago - I was actually starting to quite enjoy watching Rylan doing what, thankfully, only Rylan does best.  Entertain.  Whether you like it or not.  And, up until last night, it would appear that quite a few people did like it.  But his luck had to run out, even though I secretly wanted both him and Christopher to get through to the semi-final, just to show this programme up for what it's become.  A bit of a sham.  I mean, let's face it, the likes of Union J, Jahmene, James Arthur, even Ella who was voted off last week, they'll probably all get recording contracts, no matter where they finish in the show.  I'd put money on that.  Because this show isn't really about the winning anymore.  How can it be when anyone who's any good gets a record deal?  And, as I've mentioned before, it's mainly acts who didn't win the show that have gone on to have the most success.  So who wins isn't really an issue.  However, if I had to pick someone I'd like to see win the thing, I'd have to say James Arthur.  I'm beginning to really like this guy.  For the first couple of weeks he was a bit hit and miss for me, but after his performance's at the weekend, I'm rooting for him all the way now.  I absolutely loved his version of Abba's 'SOS', and that is one of my favourite Abba tracks so I'm never happy if somebody ruins it - I kind of went off Pierce Brosnan for a bit after he completely murdered it in 'Mamma Mia' but I've almost forgiven him now.  James Arthur, however, turned it into something that sounded - oh God, I hate using this term because I don't even understand what it means anymore - current.  He brought it up-to-date, made it his own in the true sense of the word.  I totally, totally loved it!  Yeah, I think I'm a bit of a fan.  However, there's always the danger that, when you win this competition, you end up being moulded into something the record company wants you to be rather than who you as an artist want to be - and whereas I'm sure Union J would do whatever they were told, I'd like to think James Arthur would, should he win this thing, keep his integrity and his identity.  And can we stop comparing him to Ed Sheerin, please?  I know a lot of people like the bloke but I find Ed Sheerin rather dull.  Which is something I don't, personally, find James Arthur. 


Anyway, onto the rest of the performances from last Saturday's show...

Union J - Well, to be fair, they sounded alright but it's hardly re-inventing the wheel, is it?  Four pretty boys (and just a bit too pretty for my liking, but what do I know? I'm old!) standing there singing while lots of girls scream at them.  It's not like we haven't seen that before, is it?  Still, I was a bit surprised to find them in the bottom two last night, I have to say.  Aren't the girls voting for them?  Or is it just a bit too soon to introduce another One Direction when the first one is still going strong?  You can have too much of a good thing, you know...

Rylan Clark - I think we've already covered him, haven't we?  He did what Rylan does best, and I actually like the guy, you know?  He comes across as a lot of fun, and I'd love to go out for a drink with him.  But he shouldn't really have been there as long as he was, should he?  And I honestly think that keeping him in the show on that first vote off changed the whole way this series panned out.  Let that be a lesson to you, 'X Factor' producers...



Rylan Clark - Gone, but I can't see him being forgotten... Photo: itv.com


Jahmene Douglas - Now, I like Jahmene, I really do.  I love his voice, and he seems such a lovely lad.  But I was actually bored by his performances last weekend.  I wasn't keen on his Abba song ('I Have A Dream' was never one of my favourite Abba songs anyway) and I found his Motown performance too low-key and disappointing.  Oh, I'm not knocking his vocals, because he always sings well, it's just that, Motown week should have been his week.  And I think he could have smashed a Stevie Wonder classic. 

James Arthur - I think you've probably gathered I loved his performance of 'SOS', but he also did a brilliant rendition of Marvin Gaye's 'Let's Get it On', which is a song I really don't like all that much, but when James sang it I listened.  And I liked!  He did really well with it because, like my husband pointed out, it could quite easily have been a disaster.  It's not an easy song to sing.


Christopher Maloney - Ah, yes.  The man who is fast becoming the 'X Factor' nemesis because he just won't seem to go away!  And I still think it's hilarious!  And what's even more hilarious is that, in the papers today, producers say they fear that the show's credibility will be wrecked if Christopher wins!  What credibility?  I'm quite sure that went the journey a long time ago.  But, this is what you get when you let someone be slated constantly, week after week.  The public aren't always keen on someone being singled out like Christopher has, to some extent, so it's highly likely that a lot of people are voting to keep him in purely because it really riles the judges.  And the producers.  And Simon Cowell.  Well, I've got no sympathy.  If the judges aren't clever enough to realise that their constant downers on Christopher could actually be keeping him in rather than deterring people from voting, then this show deserves everything it gets.  And he sang okay.  He's still never going to be a pop star but he'd fit right in on the North Pier at Blackpool...

Christopher Maloney - Can this man bring down the 'X Factor'? Photo: itv.com

And one last thing - can we please have a vote to get rid of Louis bloody Walsh?  Please?  He was getting right on my nerves last weekend, and if I hear him say Union J are going to be the next big boy band one more time I may not be held responsible for my subsequent outburst...
Pension him off, scrap that entire judging panel and start again.  Or, here's a much better idea.  Scrap the whole show and put on something else instead next year.  Preferably with Ant and Dec hosting it...




Oh, and just a quick nod to 'Strictly Come Dancing' before I go - sorry to say it, but, I am ecstatic to see the back of Victoria Pendleton! I know she's an Olympic champion and all that, but I just could not take to the woman!  I found her dull, and, quite honestly, after Saturday's performance she deserved to go.  Especially as I had a bit of a sweat on when Michael and Natalie were in the bottom two alongside her.  I've got a teensy crush on Michael Vaughan (which is strange, because I didn't know the bloke from Adam before 'Strictly...' started) and I'm not ready to say bye bye to him just yet.  Although, I do think his days are numbered now...




1 comment:

  1. Do you know what, I've stopped watching it now. After they got rid of Ella the other week I think it became obvious how utterly disgraceful this show has become. There's no doubt she was a far better singer than Rylan and Christopher but she didn't get through. It's a complete farce and I felt robbed of the money I'd spent voting for her. If I'd have voted for Rylan I wouldn't have minded so much but everyone, including the judges, knew how crap Rylan was and how amazing Ella was - voice terms rather than entertainment admittedly - but the show has now become just a money spinner. So I'm not watching anymore. I couldn't give a fig who wins now because like you said, the ones you mentioned will get contracts anyway which makes the whole competition not really a competition anymore!!

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete