Thursday, 22 November 2012

'Striker' - The soundtrack.

As most people know, I have to write with music playing.  I can't write in silence, it doesn't help me at all.  In fact, all of my books have their own "soundtrack" - a list of songs that have inspired me, helped me form characters, given me ideas for plots and storylines.  Yes, music is probably the most important form of inspiration I have when I start to write a new book.  As strange as it may sound, music can actually guide the story along, help characters make decisions; set the mood.  It's just the way I write, and it works for me.
So, when I started writing 'Striker' - my soon-to-be-released, sexy, football-themed romance - things were no different.  


But I don't actually set out to make certain songs appear on these soundtracks of mine - I tend to just stick the iPod on shuffle, or leave the radio on a random station for a while and all of a sudden I'll hear a song and the wheels of inspiration are set in motion, spinning away until, eventually, there's a whole new playlist being created that's special to the book I'm writing at the time.  So, what songs have helped me along as I've been working on this new football-themed romance of mine?

Here are just a few of them...

Kelly Clarkson - Miss Independent
Why this song?  Well, this really refers to the character of Amber Sullivan.  She's feisty, ambitious, and fiercely independent.  A workaholic who puts her career above any kind of relationship, is there room for that to change?  You'll just have to read the book to find that outAnd I love this song anyway.  It's always been a favourite of mine...

The Wanted - Warzone

I'm not the world's biggest The Wanted fan - in fact, I'm not even a fan at all - but I love this song, and the lyrics really inspired a big chunk of this book.  The title itself also says a lot about some aspects of the storyline...

Sheryl Crow - My Favourite Mistake

A great track, and another song with a title that says quite a bit about certain aspects of the book...

Olly Murs - Please Don't Let Me Go

I never liked the guy when he was on 'X Factor'.  I mean, I didn't dislike him, he just didn't do anything for me, however, I always loved this song of his!  And now it carries a little extra meaning because it's very much on my 'Striker' playlist.  Thanks, Olly! ;) 

Olly Murs - Troublemaker

Yes, he makes it onto my playlist TWICE, no less.  A great pop song, with lyrics that say a lot about a certain character in 'Striker'...

Alicia Keys - Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart

A truly beautiful song that I just adore.  Definitely one that had to go on the playlist, for a number of reasons... 

Jordin Sparks - Battlefield

Another great pop song that actually appears on more than one of my book soundtracks.  The title speaks for itself, really.  It wasn't used to inspire a party scene, let's put it that way...

Jennifer Lopez - Do It Well

I quite like J-Lo.  And I certainly wouldn't mind her figure, or her bank balance, but anyway, I digress.  This song inspired one of the main (male) characters in 'Striker', and now I can't listen to it without thinking of him, and the real-life person who also inspired him... mainly because he's really rather sexy...

And finally...

Girls Aloud - Something New
Just because I actually quite like the song. It makes me smile, and sometimes, as I sit at my desk tapping away at this keyboard, I just need to do that! :)

Now, there's definitely a bit of a "pop" vibe going on with this soundtrack, and that wasn't intentional.  But I am a bit of a pop fan at times, and rock music just wasn't going to cut it for the 'Striker' soundtrack.  I don't know why, it just wasn't.  It didn't feel right.  So it's pop all the way.  And that's fine - when a pop song is good it can be great to listen to, and some of the above tracks have been vital for my inspiration - and my sanity! Sometimes a good pop song can also really cheer you up and get you back on track. And that can only be good for the writing!

Anyway, to some this might be a slightly confusing playlist, but I promise, when you read the book and think back to some of these songs, they'll all make a LOT more sense... I promise

So, any writers out there, what songs have inspired you and your stories?  Because I know I'm not the only person who does this... ;)



'Striker' is due for release in early 2013.  Watch this space for more details...

No comments:

Post a Comment