Monday, 5 November 2012

Another X Factor farce - and this time I'm turning off...

Yep.  It happened again.  And yes, I was fuming.  I still am.  I'm bloody fuming.  Again.  And I'm not someone who likes a confrontation, but if I could have leapt through that TV screen last night, believe me, I would've had a few extremely choice words to say to frigging Tulisa.  Idiot!  And that's putting it mildly.  For someone who is - allegedly - supposed to be knowledgeable about the music industry, to sit there and say that X factor is not just a singing competition... well what the frigging hell is it then? Because you've got Louis Walsh sitting there for most of the programme banging on about how this show is looking for the next big recording artist - which, unless I'm really very stupid, usually means you have to be able to sing - and yet Tulisa sits there in last night's sing-off basically saying that Rylan deserves to be there more than Kye because she looks forward to seeing him more every week!  WTF????  In one sentence she just managed to show this programme up for what it really is.  A bloody sham.

Oh, hang on, just incase you have no idea what I'm going on about, let me remind everyone of what happened over the weekend on X Factor - which is now not just a singing competition.  Apparently.  Quick recap here - once again Jahmene and Ella stole the show, James was alright although not as good as he has been, in my opinion, Union J are still a cardboard cut-out boy band, District 3 need to have a word with Louis and tell him they're not playing second fiddle to Union J anymore, Christopher Maloney can undoubtedly sing but still sounds like he'd fare much better doing a turn down the local Haven Holiday Park, Kye was really good, and Rylan was, well, Rylan. 

So, with the usual suspects through to next week, it was no surprise to finally see Rylan back in the bottom two last night, but a total surprise, for me, to see Kye there.  In my opinion he's been getting better over the past couple of weeks, but there's obviously something about him the public aren't clicking with.  Fair enough, I thought.  I mean, this is the second time Rylan's been in the bottom two, and although the fiasco of a few weeks ago managed to save him from the boot, surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to do it again?  Would they?  Well, yeah.  They would.  But this time it wasn't Louis who'd had his orders to go to deadlock - it was Tulisa.  And I just knew, I knew the second it went to deadlock that Rylan was going to be the one to be saved.  And yes, I know that Kye got the fewest public votes, but, once again, as what happened with Carolynne back in week 1, it should never have gone to deadlock.  I mean, come on!  Clever ploy to wheel Rylan out at the sing-off with a slow ballad, but it was still screamingly obvious to even the most tone deaf that Kye sang a hundred times better.  But, according to Tulisa, this isn't just a singing competition.  Isn't it?  Have you got your shows confused, love?  Britain's Got Talent isn't just a singing competition, but I was under some quite obviously mis-guided illusion that X Factor was, actually, a singing competition.  Am I stupid? 


Kye Sones singing for survival... that worked...
Photo: itv.com
You know what I think?  And I may be wrong here, and it may just be my cynical mind at work again, but I think some of the judges actually get a little too close to the acts, start to see them as friends, and know that they'd miss them so much more if they weren't around, so they keep them in.  Regardless of whether they can hold a note or not.  I know Rylan has a reputation for being a great guy, and somebody that people love to have around, and I'm not denying that he is.  Whether he's a nice guy or not isn't in question.  Like I said weeks ago, I'd love to go clubbing with the lad, but as far as him still being in this competition when we're starting to lose guys like Kye who can actually sing and may actually have a shot at some kind of serious career, well, that's where my tolerance levels end.  He really should have gone last night.  So, was Tulisa's decision based on the fact she likes to go partying with him and therefore wants him around for a little bit longer?  Was she told to go to deadlock by the producers in order to keep Rylan in for another week?  Or did she really just make a ridiculous decision that should see her credibility spiral downwards so fast it should make her dizzy? I don't know, all I know is that last night was the final straw for me.  And her words were the final nail in the coffin.  If it isn't a singing contest, then I'm really not bothered anymore.  Because, if that's the case, then can you sit there and say that Rylan deserves to be there over Jahmene?  Or Ella?  Huh?  Would you have kept him in should either of those two been in the sing-off against Rylan?  I tell you, I'm still fuming.  I know it's only a TV show, and I've tried watching it for what it is - a so-called-entertainment show - but I can't do it anymore.  The show's lost it's way, and it's eating itself as far as I'm concerned.  It means absolutely nothing.  It seems to be all about finding somebody who can make a lot of people a lot of money, and it seems apparent that it doesn't really matter whether that person has any real talent or not.


For me, it's over...
So, that's it for me.  I won't be watching it anymore.  I may tune in for the final on December 8th, I don't know.  I guess it all depends on who makes it to the final, because the way things are going right now, I'm not sure who the hell is going to be there.  And it might not be the people who deserve it the most - the people who can actually sing...

So, in the words of those Dragons in the Den... I'm out...



3 comments:

  1. Personally I think the mentors shouldn't be the judges. Obviously the mentors want to protect their 'own' singers, and there are times when I think they vote off the biggest rival to their own singers. In my opinion, there should be independent judges and/or it should be left completely to the public vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more, Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  3. However it got even more ridiculous tonight with James and Ella in the bottom two. Remember this is the public vote so no influence from the mentors Paula.
    Like Michele says the farce is no longer worth watching as a music competition which it clearly no longer is.

    ReplyDelete