Monday, 15 October 2012

Strictly X Factor Monday - which one's winning for me?

Easy answer there - Strictly Come Dancing, by miles!  I absolutely adore watching that show, whereas I always approach X Factor with varying amounts of trepidation.

Anyway, we'll begin with X Factor.  And my patience is wearing very thin with this show, I have to admit.  As my husband keeps telling me, I should stop treating it as a talent show, because it isn't that, and I should start seeing it as the entertainment show it is, but I'm finding that very hard to do.

So, did I agree with the result of last night's results show?  No.  Of course I didn't!  Melanie Masson was, by a long way, the better singer between herself and District 3 during that sing-off, but I knew it was obvious that District 3 were going to be saved, whether it be by the judges or the public vote - which is what it eventually went to, in the end.  Even if the world needs another boy band like I need a tray full of Krispy Kreme doughnuts!  So, disappointed is how I felt last night, rather than the anger I felt after last week's pathetic attempt at a vote off.  It's just sad to see yet another contestant who can actually sing having to go home.

I thought last Saturday's show was a bit hit and miss, to be honest.  There were some really good performances from the likes of Jahmene Douglas, Ella Henderson, James Arthur and Jade Ellis.  I thought James did a particularly cracking version of Mary J. Blige's 'No More Drama', and I'm liking Jahmene more and more each week.  Ella's still my favourite though, by far.  I mean, anyone who can even attempt that Minnie Riperton song ('Loving You') and hit that note like she did, well, enough said, really.  And Jade's voice is just gorgeous.  Still not totally getting Lucy Spraggan, but I can see why the public like her.  It's just not my cup of tea, that's all, although there's something in her voice that I do like, I just can't put my finger on what, exactly.  I was also a little disappointed with Kye Sones too.  I loved him on the first live show, when he did a great performance of Michael Jackson's 'Man in the Mirror', but this week I really wasn't feeling it.  I thought his voice suffered, and it didn't really suit that Rihanna song ('Love the way You Lie').  I'm hoping he can come back this coming Saturday and win me round again.  Another contestant I'm just not "feeling" is Christopher Maloney.  I'm still trying to work out how he won the Wildcard vote, but, as far as I'm concerned, I'm just not sure X Factor is the right show for him.  I'm not saying he can't sing, because he can.  And, if I was sitting in the Entertainment Lounge of a cruise ship sipping a Tequila Sunrise, with him singing in the background, I'd be quite happy.  But up there on the X Factor stage?  Not sure.

I'm also really tired of the boy bands.  Really tired.  Take That really have got a lot to answer for.  Both District 3 and Union J are just - well, they're just there.  They're straight off that boy band conveyor belt.  I mean, in all honesty, I could go out there today, round up 4 or 5 good-looking young lads (hopefully without getting arrested!), call them a boy band and the girls would start screaming over them.  I know, because I've been there.  I was 14 once, believe it or not.  I've done the boy band hysteria thing so I know how it all works.  It's not rocket science.  But it is, unfortunately, these days, bland.  Nothing new.  So they're not exactly setting me alight.  Either of them.  As for MK1... I have nothing to say.  They just don't do it for me, but then "urban" really isn't a genre I like too much.  And Rylan Clark?  Well, I think we just have to accept that he's going to be around for a little while yet.

So, all in all I'm bitterly disappointed that Melanie Masson had to leave the competition, but maybe my hubby is right - treat it like an entertainment show and not a musical talent show, then I might just stress out less!

Okay.  Now onto Strictly Come Dancing.  I love this show so much!  It makes me smile, it makes me happy, and it makes me want to wear those amazing dresses and twirl round that dance floor like a princess!  But, as that's never going to happen, I'm quite happy to watch other people do it.  So, who stood out for me last Saturday?  Well, first and foremost, I thought Denise van Outen and James Jordan's jive was amazing!  Loved it!  I couldn't take my eyes off those two during that dance, but then, I also couldn't take my eyes off Michael Vaughan and Natalie Lowe's jive either, for completely different reasons!  It was hilarious!  Or rather, Michael was hilarious, Natalie was stunning, as usual!  I also loved watching Lisa Riley and Robin Windsor, Dani Harmer and Vincent Simone, and Kimberly Walsh and Pasha Kovalev.  Although, to be honest, there's nobody I dislike watching.  This show is just like a lovely dose of escapism that I can lose myself in every Saturday night.

I was a bit sad to see Johnny Ball be the first contestant to go home though.  However, if we're going to look at it in terms of the dancing, he probably wasn't one of the best.  I just think he genuinely tried really hard, and for a bloke of his age (74) I think he did incredibly well.  I'm 30 years younger than him and even I can't move like that on a dance floor!  Really sorry to see him go, but I guess the competition has really begun now, hasn't it?  It's a Hollywood theme this coming Saturday on the show, so I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with as far as the dances are concerned, and I also can't wait to see what the ladies are wearing!  I so want to wear one of those beautiful dresses...

So, that's my round-up of the weekend's reality TV, and it was a weekend tinged with disappointment as far as exiting contestants on both shows were concerned.  But so begins another week, and now that the Strictly Sunday results show has started too, it now means that there is never a day goes by when there is no Strictly Come Dancing-related programme on TV!  Heaven!

Right, I'd better get a shift on.  I'm off to Sunderland AFC's ground, The Stadium of Light, this afternoon for a little bit of book research and I've still got a load of things left to do before I head off there.

Going briefly back to Krispy Kreme doughnuts, though, I'd just like to say how incredibly excited I am to find out there are stores opening in both Sunderland and Durham before the end of this month, meaning that my doughnut fix is now closer to home than ever before!  Can't say that's good news for the waistline...



2 comments:

  1. I don't watch SCD and I wasn't going to bother with X Factor either this year. But like a moth to a flame, I was back watching it again from boot camp week and onwards.

    The show is a complete farce and the situation with the judges voting etc just shows it up for the pantomime that it really is. There is some real talent this year but as usual, viewing figures and ways to attract viewers seem to be pushing the talent and the who purpose of X Factor aside. But I'll keep watching lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't going to bother with X Factor either this year, but, like you, I just couldn't help myself! I just find myself getting annoyed and irritated with it all though, because it IS just a pantomime in reality, and the viewing figures are suffering because of that, apparently. Just read that they're way down on last year, and that's not really a surprise as far as I'm concerned. Last week's farcical results show between Rylan and Carolynne Poole proved what a joke this show can be. Still can't tear myself away from it though! ;)

    ReplyDelete