Monday, 22 October 2012

Strictly X Factor Monday shocker! I actually liked District 3!

Yes.  Definitely a bit of a shocker that one, considering I wanted them out of the competition a week or so ago when they were in the sing-off alongside Melanie Masson. Anyway, more about the X factor later, because today I'm starting with Strictly Come Dancing, and it's official - I now have some clear favourites!  It always takes a couple of weeks for me to really decide who I love watching, who I like watching, and who I couldn't care less if they went home tomorrow, and this year is no exception.  So, favourites?  Well, to begin with, the couple I am loving watching right now is Lisa Riley and Robin Windsor.  Their jive last Saturday was so much fun!  I adore watching her, because she always looks like she's having such a fantastic time, and that's what Strictly... is all about for me.

I also love Denise van Outen and James Jordan, Dani Harmer and Vincent Simone, and, after their fabulous salsa that just made me want to go and watch 'Dirty Dancing' all over again for about the zillionth time, Louis Smith and Flavia Cacace.  I just loved watching that dance, and they did the lift!  They did that lift!  It was just gorgeous to watch, and Len Goodman was being a right grumpy old git only giving them a 6.  I'd have given it an 8 or a 9, easy!  I also really like watching Michael Vaughan, although, maybe that's just because I so want him to improve, I really do.  He seems like such a nice bloke, and I'm kind of glad he made it through the dance-off on Sunday, although, it's sad to see Jerry Hall go so early.

Anyway,  I really enjoyed Strictly's Hollywood night.  We had glamour (oh, I so want to wear some of those dresses!), some great dances, and a lot of fun.  This programme is my perfect idea of escapism and it still delivers that and more for me.  Is there anyone who leaves me cold, though?  Anyone I'm not all that keen on watching?  Well, I don't dislike anyone, as such, but Westlife's Nicky Byrne doesn't set my world alight, and both Fern Britton and Victoria Pendleton are just okay, as far as I'm concerned.  But as the weeks go on it's going to be sad to see anyone go, because they're all doing such a great job.  Lisa Riley is still my absolute favourite though.  By far!

Okay.  Onto the X Factor.  And can I just begin by saying, at last!  Sunday's results show actually went the way it should have done!  MK1 were, by far, the act that should have been sent home so it was good to see that, even though the judges copped out and went to deadlock yet again, the public saw sense and sent the duo home.  Kye was by no means the best performer over the weekend, but he certainly wasn't the worst and it wasn't his time to go home yet.  I'm also starting to feel a bit sorry for poor Gary Barlow.  Cut him some slack and leave his acts alone for a week or so, although, having said that, I'm really not taking to Christopher Maloney at all.  He's a cruise ship singer, not a pop star.  And that comes across on TV.  That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Anyway, I have favourites in Strictly Come Dancing, so, have I got them in X Factor too?  Too right I have!  A couple of weeks into the live shows and Ella Henderson is still my top act.  She hasn't set a foot wrong in my opinion, and her rendition of 'You Got The Love' on Saturday's club classics-themed show was flawless.  Even though I think she was leaning more towards the Florence and the Machine version rather than the real club classics track from The Source featuring Candi Staton, which is one of my absolute favourite dance tracks of all time, ever! Oh, and Gary was talking twaddle when he said the dancing she did distracted from her voice.  It didn't.  Not for me, anyway.  I loved her performance.

Another real favourite of mine is Jahmene Douglas.  Every week I'm liking him more and more, and I don't know whether it's because he comes across as such an unassuming and quiet young man, and then stands up on that stage and belts out soul songs like he's been doing it all his life, all I know is that I love listening to him.  Those two acts stand out the most for me.  They're the two I look forward to seeing each week, and they're probably the two acts that are keeping me watching.

I'm also still really liking James Arthur.  His rendition of LMFAO's 'I'm Sexy and I Know It' was, to say the least, clever.  So clever, in fact, that it took me a good minute or so to actually realise which song he was covering!  He's different, that's why I like him.  So I hope he hangs around for a bit longer.

The worst of the weekend?  Well, I'm obviously going to say Rylan Clark because I still don't think he should be there, but he is, and I now accept that he probably will be for a while yet.  Especially as Robbie Williams has made it clear that he's a big fan of Rylan's, and Robbie's a guest on the X Factor next week.  Personally, if I were Gary Barlow, I'd tell him he's never coming back to Take That ever again.  Ever.  Get him told, Gary, go on.  Rylan may be fun (although, not in my eyes), but I'm just not getting him.  And as for Charlie from MK1 saying that the X Factor is more about fun than the voice, well, that kind of says everything about the show, doesn't it?

Anyway, the big shocker of the weekend for me was the fact that I absolutely loved District 3's performance last Saturday night.  In the battle of the boy bands they stood head and shoulders above Union J, whose performance was just conveyor-belt boy band as far as I was concerned.  Bland.  But District 3 nailed it.  They had me bouncing around on my sofa (I was actually desperate for the loo at the time but once they'd started singing I wanted to hang around and watch, and I'm glad I did!), and, as much as I hate to say it, I really, really liked them!  They came out fighting after being in the sing-off a couple of Sunday's ago, and they deserved to stick around for another week after a great performance of 'Begging'.

On the whole, though, club classics was another hit and miss X Factor night for me.  I'm getting bored to tears with Lucy Spraggan standing there doing the same thing week in week out, and I'm not saying she hasn't got talent, I just don't think she's right for the X Factor.  I also think Kye Sones really needs to ramp it up a bit if he wants to stay in the game.  The tone of his voice can sometimes be slightly irritating and that all depends on the song he's given to sing.  They don't always showcase his voice to the best of its ability and, for me, he hasn't yet matched his opening live show performance of Michael Jackson's 'Man in the Mirror'.  Jade Ellis, again, has a good voice, but she's not setting that stage alight yet and I really want her to shine because I love the fact her voice is different.  Come on, Tulisa!  Give her a song she can really get her teeth into.  Or are you too busy working on those novels you're writing?  Oh, don't get me started...

So, a couple of weeks into both the Strictly... and X Factor live shows and, as usual, I'm loving one and tolerating the other but, having said that, my Saturday nights probably wouldn't be the same without either of them.  And, now that I've finally started to take the X Factor for what it is, I am actually starting to enjoy it.  Just a little bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment