Monday, 29 October 2012

Strictly X Factor Monday - A good weekend?

Well, I can tell you one thing for certain, I am loving Gary Barlow as an 'X Factor' judge this time around!  Couldn't take to him at all in the role last year, but this year he's coming out with stuff that I wholeheartedly agree with.  And telling Tulisa she had fag-ash breath practically made my night, so no, I don't agree with everyone else who said he was extremely rude.  Sorry.  

Okay, onto the acts themselves that did their very best (most of them, anyway) to entertain us last Saturday evening.  Here's what I thought...


Kye Sones 

Did I like his rendition of Robbie Williams' 'let Me Entertain You'?  Well, I didn't hate it, let's put it that way.  But I really like Kye, and I was glad to see him escape the sing-off last night.  I'm not ready to see him go yet, and it was good to see him moving about a bit more and really looking as though he was enjoying himself.  It's just that, sometimes, for me, the tone of his voice can get a tad annoying to listen to.  Still one of my favourites though.

Ella Henderson 

When I realised she was singing Evanescence's 'Bring Me To Life', I wasn't quite sure how that was going to go, because I love that song.  But she did alright.  Not sure what Ms. Scherzinger was banging on about when she said it was in the wrong key - surely that was just Ella making the song her own?  Okay, if I'm being honest, I maybe would have liked to hear Ella really belt out that chorus, but not a bad performance.  And I still like her.  A lot!


Rylan Clark 


I get that he's entertaining, right?  But he's still doing nothing for me.  He did some mash-up of Britney Spears' 'Toxic', Mousse T's 'Horny', and Nicole Scherzinger's 'Poison', but all it did was make me ears hurt...

James Arthur   

I'm liking this guy more and more, I really am.  I loved his performance last week, and I thought he did a cracking version of The Eurythmics 'Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)'.  As Tulisa said, he brought a classic song right up-to-date, and I also think, at the minute, that he deserves to go farther in this competition.  

Jahmene Douglas

He's fast becoming my favourite by far this guy.  He sang 'Killing Me Softly' just beautifully, and, quite frankly, I could listen to him sing all day...


District 3


Okay.  I loved this lot last week, but not so much now.  I do, however, prefer them over Union J, just because they don't always look as if they've fallen off the back of the boy band conveyor belt, but their mash-up of The Police's 'Every Breath You Take' and NeYo's 'Beautiful Monster' just left me cold.  It wasn't horrendous, it just didn't grab me.  At all.


Christopher Maloney 


Ah yes.  Mr. Cruise-ship entertainer, and let me tell you something, there is nothing wrong with that.  I've been on several cruises and I've seen some cracking entertainment on all of them, so why this bloke thought it wise to jack all that in in a bid to become a pop star is beyond me.  I can't see him ever being a pop star, but his version of The Cutting Crew's 80's classic '(I Just) Dies in Your Arms' was a good effort.  He can sing.  I just don't think 'X Factor' is the right platform for him.


And now onto the two acts who found themselves in the bottom two last night...


Union J 

Okay.  Well, what can I say?  They did alright, if you like that kind of thing.  Their version of Beyonce's 'Sweet Dreams' was nothing spectacular, nothing special, and I still don't get what the judges were raving about so I personally wasn't that surprised to see them in the bottom two in Sunday's results show.  Did they deserve to stay over Jade Ellis?  Going on the sing-off songs, no.  Jade sang them off the stage, but if you're thinking of it in terms of who can be marketed the best, and who's probably going to make the most money, you'd go for the boy band, wouldn't you?  Quite honestly, though, I've been fourteen, I've done the whole boy band thing, and I still stand firm that, back in the 80s, we were a lot more picky over we screamed over.  I mean, at least Duran Duran had talent, and looked good, and made music that was both different and innovative.  These days I reckon you could stick any good-looking pretty-boys up there and teenagers would be screaming like banshees before they'd even opened their gobs!  Just my opinion, like...

Jade Ellis  


I really, really love her voice, but I really, really didn't like her performance of 'Freak Like Me' on Saturday night.  Which was a shame, because I had an inkling it would send her into the bottom two, even though I really didn't want to see her there.  However, she did a beautiful job of Dido's 'White Flag' during the sing-off last night - she gave me goosebumps with that gorgeous voice of hers.  But I just knew that the judges would send her home.  She sang the best by a country mile but it was inevitable that they would keep Union J over her.  I didn't agree with the decision, but this programme has long-ceased to be about who can sing the best, and is fast turning into which act can make people the most money when all of this is over.
I only hope that somebody sees the potential in Jade, and gives her a chance.  I think she deserves it.

And before I move onto 'Strictly Come Dancing', I just want to quickly say a few things about Robbie Williams - shut the hell up about voting for Rylan, will you!?!  It's not big, it's not clever, in fact, it's becoming very irritating.  Pack it in!  Okay.  That's that off me chest.  Now, let's talk about what I thought about Saturday's 'Strictly Come Dancing' Halloween special...



Well, to begin with, can I just say how envious I am of Denise van Outen's legs!  They are amazing!  If I had legs like that I'd be wearing skirts that short every day!  Fabulous!  Loved her routine too, and she's still one of my favourites, as are Lisa Riley and her partner Robin Windsor.  Their Charleston was another fun and frothy display of fantastic entertainment and it's good to see the British public are still backing her.  Every week I look forward to seeing what she comes up with, so long may she stick around.

I also adored Dani Harmer's routine with Vincent Simone to the Scooby Doo theme tune!  Vincent's blond 'Shaggy' wig was a little unsettling though, but a great, fun routine from a couple I'm really beginning to like.

I also thought Louis Smith and Flavia Cacace's Tango was fab!  I wasn't keen on Louis in the beginning, but after last week's 'Dirty Dancing' tribute, and this Tango, I'm warming to him more and more.
And I was so happy to see cricketer Michael Vaughan pull a brilliant Quickstep out of the bag after a couple of weeks of lacklustre latin routines.  I like him, so it's good to see him still around to dance another day.

Those still leaving me a little cold are Fern Britton, Westlife's Nicky Byrne, and Victoria Pendleton.  Don't know why, but they're not setting my own personal dance-floor alight.  There's time to grow on me yet, though.

Felt a bit sorry for poor Sid Owen landing himself in the bottom two because I thought he tried really hard after a week of disrupted training due to his professional partner, Ola Jordan, having to rush back to Poland for family reasons last week.  He wasn't the worst dancer of the night, and neither was Colin Salmon, who also found himself in the bottom two.  But, I have to say, I'm glad Colin got through the dance-off.  Out of the two of them, I'd rather see Colin dance again.  There's something about him that makes me want to watch more, and I have no idea what it is...

Anyway, another amazing show, and kudos to the wardrobe and make-up departments over at 'Strictly...' because they created some fantastic outfits and some really quite creepy make-up effects.  Louis Smith's eyes being just one of them...

So, any other TV grab me over the weekend that's worth commenting on?  Well, I can't go without mentioning Friday night's 'Derren Brown: Apocalypse', can I?  I love watching what this guy comes up with, and ending the world for one young man just so's they can make him re-evaluate his life was something I wasn't going to miss.

And, I have to say, by the end of the first part of this two-part special, I was beginning to feel sorry for the poor lad who thought he really was caught up in a post-apocalyptic, infected, end-of-the-world scenario.  He looked genuinely terrified and confused at times.  Personally, I'd've been throwing a major fit before Derren Brown had even been able to get close enough to put me into that deep sleep he puts people under, but that's why I'd be no good for these experiments.  Can't wait to see part two this coming Friday, though, and see whether this whole elaborate set-up actually achieved its goal.

Right, well, I'm sure everyone's had enough of my ramblings for one day so, I'll get off and think about doing some work.  After all, this new book of mine won't write itself...


No comments:

Post a Comment