Wednesday, 24 October 2012

I've been nominated for a Reader Appreciation Award!

Me and my little blog of mine have been nominated by the fabulous Gemma Wilford over at Missuswolf's StoryLand (one of my favourite blogs!)  for a Reader Appreciation Award! So, thank you, Gemma!
What book have you read that affected you the most?



Ooh, a hard one this.  I've not really read anything that affected me in any profound way, but reading James Herbert's 'The Dark' when I was only about thirteen terrified the hell out of me and made sure I didn't sleep for about three nights because I was so scared - of the dark!  

What do you do  to relax?

I like to read, anything from a good James Herbert (yes, him again!) to a fabulous Jackie Collins slice of escapism.  That really helps me to relax.  I also like listening to music - especially the fantastic Joe Bonamassa - cooking, and watching TV.  If there's a decent drama on I love to get lost in that, but equally a good dose of 'Emmerdale' also helps!


Joe Bonamassa - music to relax to...
Do you listen to music whilst reading/writing – if so – what type of music?

Do you know, it all depends on the book I'm writing as to what kind of music I listen to.  For example, when I was writing my edgy rock-star romance See You At The Show, I listened to a lot of rock music - obviously!  Yet, when I was writing my cruise-themed romcom Bon Voyage I tended to listen to more dance/pop music - stuff that made me feel as though I was on holiday.

However, if I just need some background music to take away the silence - because I can't write in complete silence - then it's got to be the blues/rock legend that is Joe Bonamassa, every time.

Which person has inspired you the most in life and why?

This is quite a hard one, but I think I'd have to say my late Uncle George.  He was just such a lovely, lovely man.  He always made you believe in yourself, always made you believe that you could do anything, that you should just go for it and give it a try.  Which is exactly what I'm doing. 

What is your favourite season of the year?

Autumn, definitely.  I love all the colours of the leaves, all the reds and oranges and browns.  I just love the feel of this season.  And the darker nights have never bothered me because I love closing the curtains, lighting candles, and snuggling up on the sofa with the dog feeling all cosy and warm.

If you could spend a day in the life of someone else, who would it be and why?


Jackie Collins, definitely!  I would love to be her for just one day, living the life of a glamorous writer, being a part of her celebrity-filled world.  I just think it would be fun, not to mention an amazing source of inspiration!

What is your favourite holiday destination and why?


The beautiful island of Tenerife.
Tenerife. Why?  Because my husband and I had some fabulous holidays over there before we decided to up sticks and move to the island for a couple of years.  So it'll always be like a second home to me.  I've got some amazing memories of that wonderful island, from the best Chinese restaurant we've ever eaten in to the lovely walks we used to take from our home in Torviscas right the way along to Playa de Las Americas and beyond on those beautiful, relaxing Sundays we used to have. 

If a film was made of your life, what would it be called and why?

Blimey.  Some tough questions here...  I think it would probably be called 'The Not-So-Secret-Diary of a 40-something Geordie girl'.  Why?  I have absolutely no idea!  I just like the title, and I like the idea of a film being told in a kind-of diary-style format.  I can see it now, actually... ;)

I love thinking of names for character’s in my books. What are your favourite male and female names and why?

I think my favourite male and female character names are actually the ones I'm using for my current work in progress - Ryan and Amber.  Those names just came to me instantly when I was creating those characters, and for some reason they fitted them perfectly.  I needed a kind-of ordinary name for my footballer, because he's a North-East lad from a working-class background and I doubt he'd realistically have any kind of outlandish name, so Ryan suits him just fine.  For the main female protagonist, well, I wanted her to have a name that was slightly more unusual, but not too "out there", so Amber seemed perfect.  I just love those names because they suit the characters so well.

And finally …are you a coffee or tea drinker?

Tea, definitely!  And preferably with a biscuit to dunk in it...


Okay.  That's my ten questions answered, but what about the questions I'm going to ask the blogs I've nominated?  Well, here they are...

What is your favourite book/books of all time?

What time of day do you prefer to write?  Do you have a routine?

Who or what inspired you to pick up a pen and write?

How do you get the inspiration to create characters for your books?

Random one here - Favourite TV programme.  Have you got one?

If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you'd buy?

Your six ideal dinner guests - dead or alive.  Who would they be?

What makes you nervous and why?

Have you ever bought anything from a home shopping channel, and if you have, what was it?

And finally... bath or shower?  Which do you prefer?

And, although I'm actually supposed to nominate 10-15 blogs that are favourites of mine, I have to be honest and say that I could only really come up with about 6/7 that I really enjoy reading - I just haven't had the time to browse any more lately!

So, here are the blogs/people that I nominate for a Reader Appreciation Award.  And it's very much deserved...

Diary of a Mummy Misfit and the fabulous Amanda Egan

Scribbles and the lovely Pauline Barclay


Mandy Baggot over at Romance to love


Nicky Wells at Romance That Rocks Your World


JTDougan 


Janice Horton 


And, of course, the fabulous Gemma Wilford over at Missuswolf's StoryLand

Thanks again to Gemma for nominating me.  It's just nice to know that someone out there is reading my ramblings! ;)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for nominating my blog Michelle. I'll get cracking on answering the questions and nominating tonight :)

    ReplyDelete