Thursday, 23 August 2012

Yes, I've changed my mind again! So, the next book from me is going to be about...?

OK.  So, I mentioned yesterday on Twitter and Facebook that plans have changed a little bit around here.  And they have.  As far as what I'm writing at the minute is concerned, anyway.  That's all.  Nothing major has happened, no huge exciting announcement or anything like that.  Just me making another one of those decisions that involves ditching the book I'm currently writing to move onto another one.  Yes, it's happened again.

Most of you will know that I have been writing a Christmas romance, set in Lapland, that I'd hoped to have out by late November.  However, you can scratch that now.  It won't be happening.  Not this year, anyway.  Why?  Well, a number of reasons, really.  But the main one being I just wasn't "feeling" the book.  It's hard to explain, to be honest, but I just wasn't enjoying writing the story, wasn't clicking with the characters and, even after several re-writes and plot changes, it still wasn't happening.  Although I persevered because I'd told everyone I was writing this Christmas romance so I had to finish it, didn't I?

Well, that's what I thought, at first.  That I should just get on with it and maybe one day everything would just fall into place.  But, it hasn't.  And I've lost enough sleep and stressed out for more hours than I care to think about with regard to this book so, after moaning for a good half hour to my very tolerant husband (who actually claimed he understood my reasons for putting this book to one side for now - although, he might have just been saying that to humour me, I don't know...) I made the decision to shelve the Christmas romance for now.  I'm not saying it won't ever get written - there is a good story there, and I had the bare bones of it, but I just couldn't get it to where it needed to be.  Not yet.  So, maybe coming back to it next year is a better idea, rather than just banging out a book because I promised everyone there'd be one.  I don't want to be that kind of writer.

So, instead of writing the book I felt I had to write, I'm now writing the book I want to write.  And I can't promise this new one will be out before Christmas - although I'd love to catch the lucrative Christmas market, of course I would - but it certainly won't be long after.  I've already got a cover, a title, great characters and a story I am loving writing.  This book feels like the one I should've been writing as soon as 'Illusions of Love' was finished.  The idea was already there, this little seed planted in my mind and, if I'm being completely honest with myself, part of the reason I couldn't concentrate on writing the Christmas book was because I was too busy thinking about this new one.  It was always on my mind; the characters, the story, this cover image I'd seen that I just knew I had to have.  That's when I realised I couldn't continue with the Christmas novel, because, if I did, it really wasn't going to be the book I wanted to release.

But, it will get written.  Just, not yet.  So, just what is this new book that's caused me to shelve that promised festive offering?  Well, and don't be put off by the subject matter here, it's going to be a romance very much in the style of my novels 'No Matter What', 'See You At The Show', and 'Illusions of Love' - a sexy, edgy, romance.  Very sexy.  Think Jackie Collins and Jilly Cooper, but in my own style.  And it's going to be based around the world of professional football, or soccer, if you're from the USA.  And I'm really excited about writing it, because the plot came so easy to me, the characters almost wrote themselves, and I've gone from writing a book I just couldn't get into to having a book with a title, a cover, a great story (in my opinion - I'll have to wait and see what everyone else thinks about that!) and strong characters.  A book I really want to write. 



My next book is set in the world of professional football.
So, I apologise to everyone who was looking forward to that promised Christmas romance, but I'm sure you understand why, yet again, I've changed my plans to write a completely different book.  I just did not want to release something I myself wasn't happy with.  Something I hadn't really enjoyed writing.  As an author I think you do genuinely know when something feels right, when that story is clicking and those characters are working, and if they're not, you just don't write it.

So, get ready for a sexy ride through the world of professional football, because that's what you're going to be getting next from me.  I've gone back to what I love writing most - the sexy and edgy side of romance, and I just hope it's going to be a story that people will love.  For now, though, I've got a lot of writing to be getting on with, so, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go and research some ball skills...


2 comments:

  1. Hey, best of luck with this, Michelle. Sounds great! I have a footballer in my - slowly but surely going to finish - debut novel, so can definitely relate :)I shall look forward to reading it x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Football is my passion in a certain respect, which is why my short story was based around a footballer. I'm currently working on something but have yet to decide if the main character is a footballer or Formula 1 racing driver.

    Look forward to reading this when it comes out Michelle

    ReplyDelete