Thursday, 9 August 2012

The Hairy Bikers, diets, the rediscovery of my writing mojo, and a little piece of eye candy...

Now, you may have been led to believe - from my last couple of blog posts - that I've been quite a miserable cow over the past few weeks.  And I can't deny that, actually.  I have been pretty down, but, do you know what?  I can't really change the situation all that much just now so, I've pulled myself together, sorted myself out, got a new hair colour, indulged in a little bit of retail therapy (just Primark - not quite reached the earning potential of JK Rowling or EL James yet), and realised that sometimes you've just got to play with the hand you've been dealt, and get on with things.  Probably something to do with that British stiff upper lip, but anyway, that's what I'm doing - I'm getting on with things.

And the good news is that I seem to have found my writing mojo once again, after a good few weeks of not knowing where the hell it had buggered off to!  You see, although I've been cracking on with this new book of mine, I've been struggling.  Really struggling - to find the flow, to get that story just right but, all of a sudden, sitting watching 24 Hours in A&E last night, something just clicked, and it's all systems go now!  I've been scribbling down notes like a person possessed all morning!  But I've kind of made the decision to go all out on the writing between now and December, just so's I can get this book just the way I want it.  Less distractions and more work!  Yes, it's probably going to make me feel even more lonely than I already feel right now, but I guess I'll have my lovely new characters to keep me company... and one of those is extremely hot, so I'm looking forward to interacting with him - a lot! ;-)

Anyway, I've not only made the decision to get me head down and write over these next few months, I've also decided to - finally - make the effort to shed those few pounds that I've really wanted to get rid of for God knows how long now.  So, a more healthy eating regime is on the way (although I was hardly shovelling back the junk food as it was) and more exercise is on the cards, which will give me a good excuse to get away from the desk now and again.  I can't say I'm doing cartwheels at the prospect of jogging and stretching and digging those old resistance bands out of the back of the cupboard, but needs must.  I had a look through me wedding photos the other day and I could've cried at the sight of me on a sunlounger in The Gambia (where I got married, incidently, for those of you who didn't know that) without an ounce of fat and a stomach flatter than Norfolk!  Mind you,  I don't think I ate properly for about a month before that wedding, but those days are certainly gone, I can tell you.  I'll never see size 8 (I think that's a size 4 in the USA) again because, I'm afraid, I like my food too much.  However, I would like to be able to stay around the size 12 mark if at all possible so, it's time to do something about that.  Less chocolate (unless I'm under undue amounts of stress - or it's me birthday, which it is on August 18th so sod it, I'm eating chocolate then!) and lots more fruit and veg, as well as a step up in the old exercise regime.  Yes, Archie better be ready to embark on a few more longer walks because I am determined to get this weight off before Christmas - only so's I can put it all back on again without feeling guilty, really, but nevertheless, I know I'll feel better about myself if I do this, and that can't be a bad thing, can it?  But I'm under no illusion that it's going to be easy.  I'm over 40, for heaven's sake.  My metabolism's been on a go-slow for over a decade now, so I'd better be ready for the long haul.

The Hairy Bikers - Simon King (left) and Dave Myers
But, on the positive side, my favourite TV cooks, (bar Raymond Blanc - I wish he was my dad!) The Hairy Bikers, are also on a mission to lose weight and today being Thursday, it means that tonight on BBC 2 we have another installment of The Hairy Dieters, which is charting their attempts to drop a hell of a lot more pounds than I need to lose, but I think they're showing us how to do a low fat low calorie Engligh Breakfast tonight so I'll be there on the sofa at 8pm with a sliced-up Cox's Pippin, making notes.  I love The Hairy Bikers.  I've got a bit of a crush on Simon King (the Geordie one) and I'm secretly hoping he doesn't fade away to nothing because I quite like the fact he's like a huge cuddly teddy bear.  I have no idea what it is that makes him quite attractive to me because he is no Bradley Cooper, believe me, but I think it's just the fact he's a good old-fashioned Geordie Boy from north of the Tyne, and I do like my northern men!  I also like a jam doughnut, but something's gotta give, so, can I manage to mix losing weight with finishing this Christmas novel?  Will I be able to concentrate on my writing on a diet of more fruit and less carbohydrates?  Will The Hairy Bikers give me some fresh inspiration to create some home cooked, interesting and tasty low fat low calorie food?  Well, I've heard a rumour they've come up with a way to make pies healthy so, being the northern lass that I am, I'm waiting with bated breath (and pen poised near paper) to see how they've managed that...

Oh, and before I go, I'd just like to say a big thank you to Channel 5 for taking the extremely sensible decision to finally show US series Person of Interest here in the UK.  I've actually had a sneaky peek at some episodes and it's a great show! I really hoped a UK channel would take it up, so I'm very happy that Channel 5 are now putting it on our UK TV screens.  But, with season 2 about to start in the US in September, I'm just hoping it proves popular enough for Britain to continue showing it.  So, give it a go!  It starts on Tuesday 14th August at 10pm.

Jim Caviezel as John Reese in CBS show 'Person of Interest'

Oh, and Jim Caviezel... yum!  After all, a bit of eye candy never hurts, does it? ;-) 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment