Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Ten things I couldn't live without...

I've been tagged by my lovely friend and fellow author Amanda Egan (@Mummy_Misfit) to name ten things I couldn't live without - my ten essentials.  You can read Amanda's here on her own blog, and you can also check out her three books over on Amazon.  And I highly recommend that you do. :)

Anyway, here they are - my ten essentials.  Ten things I just can't live without...

1.  My husband.  

An obvious one this one, I know, but I really couldn't live without him.  I love him to bits.  He's a wonderful, extremely tolerant, very patient man who puts up with me, supports me, and loves me.  And that's not an easy job sometimes!  He's also a genius when it comes to computers and anything technical, and if it wasn't for him, I would have no book covers, no idea how to format anything, and absolutely no books published!  He does all of that for me, and I am so, so grateful.  So grateful.

2.  My dog, Archie.

Archie, having a tough day at the office...
He's my best friend.  He's five years old now and every single day over these past five years he has made us smile, made us laugh, and brought so much joy to our lives.  I have no children, so I am probably guilty of sometimes treating him like my "baby", but I love him so much.  Even when he decides to play up right when I'm in the middle of trying to write an important chapter...


3.  My iPod.

Music is probably one of the most important things in my life. It calms me down, makes me smile, brings back memories - but most of all it inspires me.  I've written novels that have a specific soundtrack to them so music is an extremely important part of writing life too.  I can't write in silence - I have to have music there in the background to set the mood and create scenes.  And my iPod now means I can listen to the music I love anywhere I want, and if I ever lost it, and the thousands of songs stored on it, I'd be devastated!

4.  Television.

Sorry, but I love my TV.  I don't have a social life to speak of, so, television is my form of relaxation, my escapism.  I wouldn't say I sit there night after night glued to the thing not speaking to my husband because that's not true.  A lot of the time it's on in the background while we're chatting.  But there are exceptions - if 'Holby City', 'Waterloo Road' or 'Person of Interest' is on then I'm not all that big on conversation for the duration of those programmes.  So, I couldn't really live without my TV... Not for a long period of time, anyway...


5.  Books.

My Kindle.
I have been reading since I was old enough to hold a book.  I've always loved it, and I'll continue to have a love of reading for the rest of my life.  I have read so many fabulous books that have transported me to other worlds, given me hours of fantastic escapism, made me lose myself in them so much that dragging myself back to reality becomes one huge chore.  From Enid Blyton to JK Rowling, Jackie Collins to James Herbert, I'll read anything with a great story that grabs me, and now thanks to the Kindle I can have more books than I can shake a stick at right there at my fingertips!  Brilliant!  Can't live without mine now...


6.  The internet.

For a number of reasons, really.  Not only does it mean I can keep in touch with people that I may not see all that often anymore, it's also where I sell my books, how I manage to publish my books... it's an extremely important part of my life.  I've also met some amazing people through Facebook and Twitter, so take that away from me now and it would be a huge, huge miss.  It's also a very useful tool for settling arguments.  If me and hubby ever disagree over something now, we just Google it and see who's right within seconds... and it's usually me! ;)

7.  Chocolate.

I should be able to live without it, but I can't.  Or I won't, and it's probably the latter, but, come on.  A little bit of what you fancy does you good, doesn't it?

8.  A nice cup of tea.


Sounds boring, maybe, but take my tea away from me and you're left with one very unhappy woman.  I can't start the day without it, I drink a fair few cups of it throughout the course of the day, and I particularly like to relax in the evening with a big mug of it whilst watching the soaps.  Heaven!  I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I do love my tea.  A lot!


9.  My slippers.

My slippers... with Archie in the background!

I'm beginning to sound more middle-aged by the second here, aren't I?  But I do love my slippers!  I've always, always had a lovely cosy pair of slippers, and nothing's going to change that.  Enough said, I think...

10.  Moisturiser.

I have very dry skin, so this is an absolute essential for me.  I'm also past 40 now so I'm slightly obsessed with trying to keep the wrinkles and lines at bay, although my budget doesn't exactly run to anything fancy.  Plain old Nivea or Dove for me, I'm afraid, but it does the job.  My skin would definitely be lost without it!

So, there you have it.  Probably not the most exciting ten things you've ever seen, but they're just some of the things I couldn't live without, although, if I sat here for long enough I could probably think of a dozen or so more.

Anyone else got anything they really can't live without?  Feel free to share, but I'm off to hang out some washing now before the rain starts again... don't you just love the good old British summer...


2 comments:

  1. I agree on most of those too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackie495 (Not Anonymous) - I enjoyed reading your '10' Michelle. Interesting that you can't write without having music playing in the background to set the mood/create your scenes. I totally agree with your point on the internet/twitter! Can you imagine the world without twitter? Yikes!! And your dog 'Archie' is adorable! xx

    ReplyDelete