Monday, 16 July 2012

Things are changing, just a bit...

Okay.  For the forseeable future things are changing a little bit on this humble blog of mine.  How?  And why?  I'll explain...

I've been writing for years now, and have been a self-published eBook indie author for just under fourteen months.  To date, I've released five books - three contemporary romances on the more sexy and edgy side of things, and two romantic comedies - all of which have been both loved and ripped apart, almost in equal measures.  I've spoken to, and indeed become friends with a lot of very talented authors over these past few months, and I've learnt more about writing, publishing, promoting, etc. than I ever thought possible.

But, at this precise moment in time, I think I've hit a bit of a wall - I've come to a point where things seem to be at a bit of a stand still and I can't seem to get my head around just what it is I need to be doing right now.

For the past year or so I've worked hard - in the best way I can, and the only way I know how - to promote my books, get my name out there, let people know who I am and what I do and I think, in some respects, I tried too hard.  There were times when that promotion may have turned into slight overkill because there were times when even I realised that all I seemed to be doing was talking about my books, talking about writing, talking about selling and promoting and reviews.  That's all I did, from getting up in the morning until early evening, and even when I'd shut the computer down and tried to switch off for the night, I couldn't do it.  My mind was still racing, thinking about what I had to do the next day, worrying about promoting, fretting over and over-analysing a bad review.  And, if I'm being completely honest about this, I haven't been enjoying writing for a few months now.  And I haven't enjoyed it because, as I've been writing I've been worrying - about the promotion that's to come, about whether I've missed any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors; worrying about the bad reviews I may receive, whether anyone's going to like the book or not in fact, right now, I've just checked my reviews and found a review on Amazon.com about apostrophe errors in  No Matter What that I'll probably obsess about for the next week.  Because that's what I do.  But I shouldn't.  I have to face facts - I'm a self-published author, and I do everything myself, including the editing, even though I would, if I could afford it, hire an editor.  But I can't, so, despite re-editing that book countless times, it seems a few errors have still slipped through the net, but I'm just going to have to let them go because if I continue to obsessively re-edit one single book, I'm never going to move forward.  And if the mistakes were that bad then surely a few more people would have mentioned them?  I re-edited Bon Voyage after a review pointed out errors, but I can't continue to keep on doing that, so what I need to do is concentrate on getting things right before my books are sent out to join the virtual bookshelves.

So, I'm taking a step back.  Oh, not from writing, no.  Definitely not from writing.  That's what I'm going to be concentrating on.  That's what I'm going to be giving my full attention to.  It's things like social networking that will see me fade into the background.  My presence there will be somewhat diluted over the next few months as I try to give my attention solely to my new book.  The other five are out there now, I've promoted them all as best I can so I think it's time to just let them go and see how they get on all by themselves whilst I try to concentrate on some new work, try to decide just where it is I want this writing journey of mine to take me; try not to get bogged down by worrying about the grammar police or reviews or wondering whether I should be promoting books instead of writing them.

The happiest I've ever felt was when I was writing No Matter What, and I know the reason why - my journey had only just begun.  I was writing a book I'd wanted to write for so long, and I had nothing else there to distract me from doing that.  I hadn't yet become fully involved in the world of social networking so my distractions were few and my concentration was high.  I was fully connected to those characters and that book and I woke up every day longing to get to my desk so I could continue that story.  I want to get back to feeling that way again.

I'm not going to cut myself off from everything else altogether - that would just be stupid.  But I think another phase of my writing journey is about to begin.  But it's a journey I'd like to share, so you have been warned! ;-)

So, this blog is going to turn into a kind of diary, if you like, with regular (but not always daily) posts charting my day, what's going on in my life, whether that new Ikea dining table and chairs hubby's currently building downstairs is completed before dinner tonight otherwise it's dinner on our knees in front of Look North...  You get my drift?  For the next few months, join me in my not-so-secret-diary as I embark on my sixth novel - a Christmas romance; join me as I create those new characters, build that new story; listen to my ramblings about TV, movies, the fact Celebrity Big Brother's almost here...  I can't promise every post will be earth-shattering, or even remotely interesting, but I'm trying this out to see if it helps me on this crazy journey of mine... and I'll try anything once... well, almost anything...

Anyway, I'm not going to ramble on anymore, because there's going to be enough of that over the coming months, but I hope you get the idea of what shape this blog is going to take from now on.  It's just me, my new novel, and a journey that sees my writing adventure continue... in whatever shape that may take...

Has any of this made any sense whatsoever... ???

Right, I'd better go see how that dining table's coming along... it's gone awfully quiet downstairs...


No comments:

Post a Comment