Thursday, 5 July 2012

The Return of the "Bonkbuster"...

Yes, thanks to 'Fifty Shades of Grey', the "Bonkbuster" is back! Actually, it never really went away in my eyes, because I've always loved a good Jackie Collins, but over the years people seemed to be less keen to be seen with books such as this.  It wasn't the done thing to be spotted on the bus with a Jilly Cooper, although God knows why.   It never bothered me.  However, thanks to the advent of the Kindle - and E-Readers in general - it now doesn't matter what the hell you're reading, because nobody can tell!  And that's partly the reason why the 'Fifty Shades...' books are proving so popular.  The other reason seems to be because sex sells, and I've already covered that subject in this earlier post Sex sells, doesn't it?  What I'm doing in this post is celebrating the fact that, all of a sudden, it's now actually the done thing to be seen with a "bonkbuster" in your handbag!  And, for a writer like me, that's really good news.  I know I've written a couple of light-hearted romantic comedies, but three of my books - No Matter What, Illusions of Love and See You At The Show all lean towards the more sexy side of romance.  Oh, I'm not talking anywhere near 'Fifty Shades...', but they all have their moments.  Actually, a couple of reviews I've received for No Matter What actually accused it of having too much sex in it so, if you like that kind of thing, you know where to look...  No whips or chains or anything like that, though... ;-)

Sex, Love & rock'n'roll...
So, are we now going to have a deluge of writers all jumping on the 'Fifty Shades...' bandwagon, knocking out erotic fiction like it was going out of fashion?  Which it probably will do, in time.  The answer to that is, more than likely, yes.  It's what (some) women seemingly want to read right now, and who are we, as writers, to disappoint?  Of course, we all have to wait until the entire universe has finished reading the 'Fifty Shades...' trilogy first before the rest of us get a look in...

A an epic, sexy Hollywood romance...


Actually, I'm beginning to think I'm one of the few women in existence who hasn't read these books yet, and I'm not really in any kind of hurry to do so - for a number of reasons.  Firstly, major hype usually has the opposite effect with me.  Having said that, though, I wish to God someone would hype my books the way 'Fifty Shades...' is being hyped.  That's a writers dream, that is.  And secondly, if I read those books, and people know I've read those books, there's a chance that - should my next book contain anything even slightly steamy, and I'm not talking about an overheated oven here - then I run the risk of people accusing me of just jumping on the 'Fifty Shades...' bandwagon.  Which I would never do.  I've always wanted to write books that are on the slightly sexier side of things.  And my novels No Matter What and See You At The Show were both written way before 'Fifty Shades...' came on the scene.

My latest sexy "bonkbuster"...
So, I will just continue to write the way I write; I'll continue to knock out those slightly sexy beach-reads, those books that provide an escape to lives most of us will never, ever lead but quite like to fantasise about... and I shall continue to celebrate the return of the "bonkbuster", because I think we all need a little escape from real-life now and again, don't we? 


If you'd like to check out any of my own little "bonkbusters", they're all available to download from Amazon.  They might not be in the same league as 'Fifty Shades...', but they do have their somewhat, racier shall we say, moments... they also have more than their fair share of rather hot men... What more could a woman want?  Oh, yeah... chocolate... and wine... and a Bradley Cooper look-a-like to come and do the gardening...




No comments:

Post a Comment