Monday, 23 July 2012

It's a new week, so what are my plans?

So, it's Monday and I'm easing myself into a new week after a particularly restful weekend with very little stress but far too many calories, but that's what not being able to afford a holiday does for you - I need that incentive to put down the chocolate and get exercising, and without that urgent need to acquire a bikini body I'm afraid I ate that Chinese take-away last night without an ounce of guilt.  However, I did wake up this morning and switched on the Wii Fit machine for the first time in what seems like an eternity because I can't carry on like this.  I need to drop a few pounds before Christmas so's I can put them all back on again without feeling guilty!

Blimey, where was I?  See how easy it is for me to run off at a tangent?  Anyway, I was talking about a new week beginning, the week where Britain counts down to the Olympics but, quite frankly, all I'm bothered about is getting some serious work done on this new book of mine.  So, because Christmas will, no doubt, come hurtling towards us like some out-of-control meteorite before we know it, I've got to really knuckle down and get this Christmas romance of mine done, but quite a bit of research is needed, as I've found out the more I get into writing the story.

As I've mentioned in a previous post, I'm having to catch up with a lot of how the resort of Levi in Lapland has changed since I was last there, but I'm also having to research a little bit about the Sami culture too.  I'm sure most people will have heard of Samis - the indigenous people inhabiting the Arctic regions of far northern Sweden, Norway, Finland, and even certain areas of Russia - and I have a character in my book who is Sami, so, I just want to make sure that I try to get everything as accurate as I can.  There isn't a need to go into anything too deep or intricate, but sometimes even the smallest reference to something needs to be researched, just to make sure it's correct.

Sami culture - a fascinating subject to research...
So, that's my plan for this week - countdown to the Olympics?  Not really.  As far as I'm concerned that's just something that's going to muck up the scheduling of some of my favourite programmes from now until the middle of August when there really isn't a need, I mean, come on - we're getting 24 dedicated Olympic channels, does BBC1 really have to be non-stop sport?  Sorry, I'm going off on one again, but that's what a few weeks without the prospect of any Casualty or Holby City does for me.  No, my plan for this week is to get as much initial background research done as I can, then it's full steam ahead to get a first draft of this book done - because I know that it's going to be a book that will definitely need going over quite a few times before I'm happy with it.  I can tell, it's just a feeling I've got.  I want it to be right, therefore I suspect a great deal of fannying about will ensue once this first draft's out of the way.

Oooh, and Superstar's back tonight!  A reality talent show I'm actually enjoying, mainly because of the absence of Gary Barlow, so, you can imagine how disturbed - not to mention slightly annoyed - I was to find out that said Mr Barlow is in fact dueting with the Superstar guys on tonights show.  He's playing the piano while they sing Greatest Day, apparently.  Now, as you may know, I'm a Take That fan (just not a Gary Barlow fan - can't stomach him without the rest of them) but I really don't want to hear five guys who are supposed to be "auditioning" for a rock opera belting out a Take That song.  It just isn't right.  But, who am I to argue with the decision?  I'll just use that portion of the programme to go chop up some fruit for my new healthy diet or something...

Okay, enough of the rambling.  If I carry on in this vein I'll be ranting about Justin Bieber and One Direction next and you really don't want to get me started on those subjects... Sometimes I think Take That have a lot to answer for...

It's time to get back to the writing, although, I think I'll trim me fingernails a bit first.  They're playing havoc with me typing now they've got a bit longer... I have no idea how people with beautiful long nails cope with keyboards, it's just a mystery to me...


No comments:

Post a Comment