Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Christmas in July??? I'd better get writing, then...

Two things happened last night that upped my stress levels slightly - firstly, I've gone right off Andrew Lloyd Webber after his treatment of Nathan James on Superstar on Monday night.  Now, maybe Nathan wasn't the right man to play Jesus in Lloyd Webber's new arena tour of Jesus Christ Superstar, but whether that was the case or not, and no matter what else he was supposed to have done, for Lloyd Webber to say what he did to Nathan on live television was completely out of order, not to mention unprofessional.  It made for uncomfortable viewing and it was totally uneccesary.  The entire panel might as well have come on TV wearing t-shirts emblazoned with 'Please don't vote for Nathan because WE don't want him as our Jesus!',  because the bias emanting from all of them was so bloody obvious.  I'd started off really enjoying this show, but that bias from the judges towards certain contestants is becoming quite agitating now.  And considering that Lloyd Webber has constantly told those contestants in the bottom two each night that his decision as to who he's going to send home will depend on their performance of the sing-off song kind of became a joke last night because Nathan sang Roger right off that stage, yet he was the one who got sent home.  To be honest, though, Nathan is an out and out rock singer, and I'm not sure playing the role of Jesus would have helped him too much in a career that I think he deserves.  He's got an amazing voice and I hope it isn't the last we see of him.

And the other thing that upped my stress levels last night (apart from having to endure Gary Barlow on Superstar where, quite frankly, those contetants sang Greatest Day just as well - if not better - than Take That themselves), was finding out that we've reached that time of year again when QVC like to remind us that it really isn't all that long until we're hauling those decorations out of the loft and digging out that Michael Buble album - yes, last night it was that annual QVC event, Christmas in July!  Now, normally I love seeing all that Christmassy stuff, because I love Christmas, and it's a time of year I always look forward to.  It's just that, this year, I'm planning on releasing a book at Christmas.  And it's a Christmas romance so, really, it's got to be released then.  But last night, Christmas in July was not a lovely reminder of a wonderful time of year, it was a monumental kick up the backside for me because it basically reminded me that I need to get my arse in gear, stop faffing about, and get bloody writing!  They did have some particularly lovely tea-lights on offer though...

My home made focaccia - not bad, for a first attempt...
Right, and on that note I'd better start thinking about getting back to that writing, now that my agitation over last nights Superstar and my panic that Christmas in July was the start of a rapid countdown to my new book has eased slightly.  I have spent the morning making some home made focaccia though, as a bit of a stress reliever.  All that kneading really can be a fabulous outlet, and I don't think it's turned out too bad, do you?  A little on the rustic side, maybe, but let's just hope it tastes good...

No comments:

Post a Comment