Thursday, 7 June 2012

The Jubilee weekend, Marco Pierre White, and my latest novel, Bon Voyage - A few things I've learnt over the past few days...

Gary Barlow - a source of irritation for me.
1.  Gary Barlow annoys me to the point of giving me a headache.  I mean, I'm a Take That fan, have been since the early 90's, don't get me wrong, but Gary Barlow really, really grates on me, for some reason.  And as I've just spent the recent Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend watching the man angling for a knighthood in a less-than-subtle manner, I'm now dreading the return of The X Factor! He did my head in as a judge last year, and I'm not sure I can take the rise in blood pressure again. Not altogether sure he means to come across as smug as he does, but that's what I'm getting, and it irritates me.  A lot.  Mind you, right now it doesn't take much to irritate me.  Something as simple as an advert for Special K can start me off these days.  It must be me age...
Anyway, Mr Barlow never used to annoy me back in 1991... Oh, and another thing - why didn't Take That play at the Jubilee concert last Monday?  I heard a rumour that Mr Barlow snubbed Duran Duran (bit of a mistake that, Duran Duran would have been a very welcome addition to that gig) but I'm going to assume there was a very good reason for Gary not asking the rest of the band (bar Robbie, I know he was there) to play at that gig, considering he was organising it.  Maybe Howard was DJ'ing in Cleethorpes or something...

Sir Tom Jones giving it his all at the Jubilee Concert
2.  I adore Tom Jones.  I've always had a soft spot for Mr Jones, ever since I took my mother to see him at Newcastle City Hall way back in the late 80's, because he put on one hell of a show.  He was incredible live, and I honestly think - in my opinion - that he stole the show at the recent Jubilee concert outside Buckingham Palace.  He was probably the only one not to drop a note (poor Cheryl Cole - she should never have sung live), although Grace Jones did a fair old job too, and she sang a whole song whilst hula-hooping! Got to give the woman kudos for that - she's as old as me mother!
But, no, Sir Tom did it for me - even at his age! His voice is amazing, he's still sounding incredible, and I'll always be a (not-so-secret) fan girl.  And big congratulations to Leanne Mitchell, the winner of The Voice UK.  She was on Sir Tom's team, and she was the deserved winner in my opinion.

3.  Jimmy Carr, Miranda Hart, Lenny Henry, Rob Brydon, etc... aren't funny - Peter Kay is.  Still trying to work out why all these comedians were necessary at that Jubilee concert, because they really weren't needed in my opinion.  Half the time I was cringing when they came on, and even though Peter Kay gave me the only laugh of the night, even he wasn't up to his usual standard.  He was just funnier than the rest of them... put together...

Big Brother 2012 is back! Not altogether sure that's a good thing...
4.  I really should avoid Big Brother.  Yep, it's that time of year again.  Big Brother has once more hit our screens and I have - as per usual - made the mistake of starting to watch it, and just two days in I'm already shouting at the TV and disliking at least three-quarters of the contestants before it's even got off the ground. Especially that one from Essex...  I'll have turned off by week three, just like last year, I can almost guarantee it...

5.  I find Marco Pierre White's voice rather sexy... Yes, I know, he looks like he's just been dragged through half a dozen bushes by a herd of angry wildebeest, but it's not his looks I find attractive.  God, no!  It's his voice.  And I have no idea why, I just find it kinda sexy.  So, I shall be sitting down tonight in front of His new show on Channel 5, Kitchen Wars, for an hour of easy on the ear, if not exactly easy on the eye...

Not doing that great - review wise - with American readers.

















6.  My latest rom com, Bon Voyage, really isn't going down well with American readers.  I've given up looking at reviews for this book on Amazon.com because I've come to the conclusion, after reading yet another 2-star review, that it's just not going to be popular on the other side of the pond.  And there's not a lot I can do about that.  I'm not saying everyone adores the book here in the UK, they more-than-likely don't, it's just that I haven't received the same amount of negative feedback (yet!) that I've received from American readers.  I have no idea why they find it boring and why it just isn't clicking with them, but it isn't, and I'm resigned to that fact now.  Still, I now can't look at Bon Voyage's page on Amazon.com without breaking out in a cold sweat.  In fact, I think if anyone gives me a rating above 2 stars I may well become hysterical and start laughing like a hyena...  Who knew my harmless little comedy romance could create such disdain... ? ;-)

7. England haven't had a decent football team since Italia '90.  In my opinion, of course.  But that's the way I feel.  Back in the days of Gary Lineker, Paul Gascoigne, Bryan Robson etc. they were exciting to watch, they created this air of patriotism that made you care about results.  I mean, when England lost out in the semi-final of the World Cup in Italy in 1990, I cried!  I sobbed like a baby, I swear.  Gutted didn't even begin to describe it.  Me eyes were still red and puffy when I went to college the next day, and I wasn't the only one.  So, how do I feel about the England squad we have now as we approach the beginning of Euro 2012?  I couldn't care less.  I really couldn't.  In fact, I'm not even sure I can be bothered to watch.  There just doesn't seem to be that same air of excitement these days, and maybe that's because football has changed so much over the years, but I'm just not sure that every single one of those players out there has the passion that past players used to have.  Or maybe I've just stopped caring.  Who knows?  All I know is these Euro Championships have stuffed up me soap schedules for the next few weeks and I'm not happy...


Just realised that most of what I've written up there actually makes me sound like a grumpy old woman!  But I'm not, not really.  Just resigned to middle-age now.  A license to moan more!! ;-)

Anyway, I've moaned enough for now, it's time to get back to the editing.  'Illusions of Love' is almost ready to go, but not before I've gone through it with a fine toothed comb... again!  And probably again, and another time after that...

In the meantime, why not check out something else I've been distracted by over the past few days - I've created a board over on Pinterest containing images and music that have inspired me during the writing of 'Illusions of Love', so go check it out here Illusions of Love inspiration board.  And if the mood takes you, check out another board I'm in the process of creating for all my other books Pinterest - My Books.

Okay, I'm definitely off now.  This editing won't do itself... if only... ;-)

Have a lovely Thursday!


No comments:

Post a Comment