Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Switching off - I just can't do it...

Okay.  I haven't really got anything earth shattering or mind-blowing to say today, in fact, I'm only really blogging because most of the day has been taken up with faffing about (and, no, that doesn't mean I've been Googling Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling or Keanu Reeves... actually, why haven't I been doing that, that could've counted as research...?) and now that it's late afternoon I'm not really in the right frame of mind to work on Illusions of Love, (the follow up to my epic Hollywood romance, No Matter What, and that's the shameless plug for today overwith, I promise), not when I know I've got two incredibly creased shirts upstairs waiting to be ironed...

So, I thought I might as well pop over to my blog and share some random musings with everyone. You lucky people!! ;-)  And something I've been wondering about all day today (for some reason) is whether or not there are other writers out there like me - those that never, ever switch off.  I mean, surely I can't be the only one out there with an inability to relax?  Because, no matter how hard I try, I just cannot chill out.  And I do try - and, I have to say, Britain's Got Talent semi-final week is doing a sterling job of trying to take my mind off all things literary this week, (would be better if there weren't adverts every five minutes, but I do love Ant & Dec...) by giving me something to whinge about, mainly, (not Ant & Dec though) but, that aside, I just can't switch off.  I can't.  Can't do it.

Ant & Dec... lovely Geordie boys...
I've often been accused of trying to do far too many things at once, of being someone who thinks far too much and in turn lets myself get way too distracted because of that.  And I can't say that isn't true, because, now that I've started to write full-time, it's only getting worse.  It feels like every second of every day there are plotlines or stories going round in my head, or ideas for new characters, and I'm not just talking about the next book I'm due to start writing, oh no, I'm talking about the next 3 or 4 books.  I've got ideas for that many new books that I'm not altogether sure there's going to be enough time to write them all!  It can take just one song that happens to be playing at the time, or something I'm watching on TV, something in a movie, anything random, and it can spark off an idea in my head... for example, a Foo Fighter's song has just come on the radio as we speak, and that's already got me thinking... or I might just be having one of those fantasies about Dave Grohl again... okay, moving swiftly on...

I guess what I'm trying to say is, even though I would sometimes love to just push the writing to one side for a few hours, I can't do it.  It's always with me now, and I can't really complain because I love it.  I love the fact I have the opportunity to do this every day, to follow my dream (my writing dream, that is, not the one that involves Keanu Reeves and a plate of chocolate cupcakes...).  I just wondered if I was the only one out there who's found themselves putting the kettle in the fridge because my mind's been trying to put together a plot for my Christmas romance when I should have been making two cups of tea...

Anyway, maybe I'm just one of those people who thinks too much, obsesses about things (and I don't mean Bradley Cooper!), and refuses to let myself take a step back and relax.  Can I change that?  I doubt it.  It's the way I am, and I've been like this all my life so I can't see it changing anytime soon.  But it comes to something when Coronation Street gives you an idea for a future book... Maybe it is time to try harder and make the effort to switch off after all, huh?  Even if it's just to watch the soaps...  ;-)

Right, I'm off to iron those shirts and watch Man V Food... I just love that programme...


1 comment:

  1. you are not alone. I really struggle to switch off. It's always there, lurking in my mind and keeping me on my toes

    ReplyDelete