Friday, 13 April 2012

Today, I'm banging my own drum... but just a little bit...

In a week where reviews seem to have ruled the roost again in the life of this indie author - over the past 4 days I've had both a fabulous 5 star and a gut-wrenching 1 star review for the same book - I've decided to end this week on a high note.  And I'm going to do something I don't usually do because it just isn't me - but today, in this blog post, I'm going to bang my own drum (but only very lightly!) and showcase some of the comments people have made about all 3 of my books.  A self-centred ego boost?  Maybe.  I'm a writer, after all, and even though I'm one of those people who carries very little confidence around with them and doesn't always feel comfortable when people praise me for any reason, I guess all us creative types have an ego in there somewhere, don't we?  And it never hurts to give that ego -no matter how small it may be - a little boost now and again. 

So, here we go...  what do people who've read my books really think of them... ?  Oh, and the majority of these comments have not come from my friends, okay? Some were even from proper book reviewer's. ;-) 

What people have said about my epic, two-decade-spanning, sexy Hollywood romance, No Matter What

This book is Martina Cole meets Dynasty meets Footballer's Wives (the good bits) and is a stonking book. If you are looking for a fast read, it's not for you, but it's a shame to miss it.... (Read this review in full at ciao.co.uk.)

***

... That feeling of knowing the characters so well but still being surprised by their decisions. The passing of the years just made you want to keep reading and the length of the story enveloped you in a smug happiness that it wasn't about to end abruptly and leave you hanging. For such a small price you can have what I can only describe as a really excellent story... 

***

This was a great read. Longer than most of the books I have bought on my kindle and you certainly get your money's worth. Didn't want to put it down and couldn't wait to get to the end to see what happens to India.

***

The characters all felt very real and believable, and I was able to picture and feel their presence as I read the book. The inclusion of Tynemouth, Newcastle and Northumberland, gave the book a personal touch for me as a 'native' and linking the North East of England with Hollywood worked really well.

***

... just like in life, you’re not always going to like the outcome. You’re not always going to agree with the things a person does or how they handle a situation. And the best person does not always win in the end. The least you can ask for is a few hours of escape. The most is that the book makes you feel strongly, one way or another. And this will most definitely make you feel strongly about each and every character. Well done, Ms. Betham! (Read this review in full at Sarah's Point of View)


What people have said about my racy rock 'n' roll-meets-the-world-of-politics romance, See You At The Show

... I enjoyed reading it and, for me, the story really took off at the half way mark when the stakes were raised and with the tension building, I really didn't know which way the story line was going...  (Read this review in full at Love reading love books.)

***

... I really liked this book! It had a Jackie Collins feel about it! Was quite racy and very sexy! I'd recommend it!  

***

... I love the complexity of Stevie's character and the way she is in a male dominated world but still manages to hold her own! Though even the strongest of us need help sometimes and this is also shown...

***

... Rock stars, biker chicks and sexy politicians - it's got it all and I devoured it...


***

Oh, how I needed this book.  I needed a kick ass character like Stevie Stone.  I needed a love triangle (love square may be more appropriate in this situation, really) full of drama, set in a background of rockstars, bars, and also in the polar opposite political arena.  (Read this review in full at Whiskey and Books.)

***

What a fantastic book! Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!


What people have said about my Tenerife-based comedy romance, Too Much Trouble in Paradise

... it is a book begging to be read on a sun lounger; however it is also a lovely little night time read before bed, although the cliff hanger chapters suck you into rebelling way past your bedtime!

***

What a good book, I couldnt put it down. Its a real what is she going to do page turner. What made it enjoyable for me - really likeable characters, fast moving, twists and turns, down to earth and a bit of humour...

***

... You can't help but love the characters & who knew the world of darts was so glam!
A feel good book, it made me laugh & reminded me how fun chick lit can be!  

***

... The characters are very real and believable. Living in the Canary's myself I could relate to all the references to Tenerife. A five star read.  

***

... I thoroughly enjoyed this book, great chick lit that will relax you, make you smile and dream of sunny islands, cocktails...and darts!:)  (Read this review in full at Books to Remember .)

***

... Too Much Trouble in Paradise is a light, fun read that will keep readers guessing who Molly will choose until the very end. Molly is a likeable character who is genuinely looking for love but struggling with her own insecurities and trust issues. Paul is the character readers will love to hate and Fran is a loyal friend to Molly. Their dialogue and interactions are sharp, funny, and definitely entertaining. The story moves at a quick pace, flowing seamlessly as Molly figures out what she really wants and gets a few surprises along the way. Too Much Trouble in Paradise will delight fans of clever, dynamic romantic comedies. (Read this review in full at Chick Lit Bee.)


So there we have it.  Some of the lovely things people have said about my first 3 novels.  And no, I'm not saying all my reviews have been perfect - they haven't.  Of course I've had one or two dodgy ones, but you can't please everyone, can you?  So, if you want to see all of my reviews - good and bad - you can do so by popping over to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com or Goodreads, and make your own mind up. ;-) 

Alternatively, if you quite fancy trying one of these books for yourself, they're all available from Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com and are priced between 77p - £1.97 or $1.23 - $3.15, depending on the book.

Or, if you're a member of Amazon Prime, all my books can be borrowed for FREE from the Kindle Owner's Lending Library.

Right, plugging over, I'm off to finish editing my 4th book, due for release very soon... watch this space...


No comments:

Post a Comment