Sunday, 15 April 2012

A few random weekend ramblings...

Is it just me, or does anyone else find that new advert for Marks & Spencer's (or M&S as it appears to be called now) really annoying?  Or am I just being a miserable cow?  Because, I don't know what it is, but when those first few bars of Gary Barlow singing The Beatles classic Here Comes The Sun strike up I'm racing for the remote control like an Olympic athlete before I have to endure a glimpse of Myleene Klass and Danni Minogue in their fabulous M&S dresses taking us through the perfect British summer (despite the fact the ad was actually filmed in South Africa - mind you, trying to find a day that perfect in Britain is a feat in itself, I suppose), because that's what M&S tell us the advert is supposed to do - take us all on a journey through the perfect British summer.

It's not mine, mate!
Well, as far as I could tell there was no sign of Twiggy in M&S wellies or Jamie Redknapp in a nice, smart M&S raincoat battling their way through a lovely June day of torrential rain and high winds because, in my experience, that's closer to a British summer than anything that advert trys to portray.  Anyway, all I know is that, if I let that advert get to the end, you know, the bit where Gary Barlow's sitting round a campfire still ruining that Beatles song - everyone still wearing their fabulous M& S outfits - I actually break out in a rash!  I just can't bear it, and I have no idea why!  I know that - despite being a Take That fan, for my sins - Gary Barlow annyoys the hell out of me since he decided to become an X Factor judge, and I've just never taken to Myleene Klass.  And M&S has never been my store of choice, but why that advert irritates me so much I have no idea.  Maybe it's because I'm working class and so far, none of my summers have been anything like that advert... I mean, my perfect summer's day is a walk along South Shields beach with a bag of chips, so what would I know?

David Walliams - A BGT revelation for me!
However, someone who used to really irritate me but no longer does anymore is David Walliams.  Surely we all know who David Walliams is, don't we?   One half of the Little Britain team.  Well, when I heard he was going to be a judge on Britain's Got Talent I had my head in my hands thinking I may have to avoid this year's BGT like the plague and therefore forego my dose of Ant & Dec (they're like my guilty pleasure) because, at the time, I thought him about as funny as toothache - although, marginally funnier than Ricky Gervais, but don't get me started on himBut, a couple of weeks into Britain's Got Talent, and I am loving him!  He's hilarious!  Especially when he starts winding Simon Cowell up (don't get me started on him, either).  I actually look forward to watching Mr. Walliams on BGT more than I do the acts, although Pudsey the dancing dog from a week or so ago was an absolute star!

Danny O'Donoghue - Making The Voice UK a pleasure to watch.
Now, moving onto another man who's turning out to be a bit of a revelation for me is the lovely Danny O'Donoghue from The Script.  He's currently a judge on The Voice UK, and before I saw him on that I wasn't really fussed one way or the other about him.  I like The Script, I like their music, but I wasn't altogether sure that he was the best choice to be one of the judges on the show.  However, now I think he's the perfect judge, and if I was on that show, I'd be wanting him to turn his chair around and have me on his team!  Or Tom Jones.  I really like Tom Jones.  Always have.  Took my mother to see him live decades ago and I was hooked!  Love that voice of his... anyway, where was I?  Oh, yeah.  Danny O'Donoghue.  Yeah, I think he's going to make a great mentor for the acts he's chosen on The Voice UK, and it's turning out to be a show I'm really, really enjoying.   And Mr. Donoghue, well, he's actually not all that bad to look at either.  Which is always a bonus! ;-)

Anyway, I've rambled on enough for now.  I shouldn't even be writing blog posts when I'm in the middle of editing my new book but being easily distracted is a talent I seem to excel in.  But that book won't edit itself so I'd better get cracking!  Have a fabulous what's-left-of-the-weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment