Monday, 9 April 2012

5 songs that remind me of...

...an event, place or time in my life.  I've been tagged by my fab Twitter friend @icetuckerV2 to think of 5 such songs - and I'm more than happy to take up the challenge, because I have loads of songs that remind me of so many things so... here are 5 of my favourites...

Frankie Valli - Grease  



 
Summer of 1978, standing in a queue outside the Classic Cinema in Monkseaton, waiting to see this movie, that's what this song reminds me of.  Everyone - and I mean, everyone, I knew was in that bloody queue, and we all stood there for hours waiting for the doors to open so we could finally get to see this much-anticipated film, and I was only 9 or 10 at the time but I'd been dying to see it!  And it lived up to all my expectations - it's now one of my all-time-favourite movies, and I never, ever tire of watching it.  In my heart, I will always aspire to be a Pink Lady...


Abba - Summer Night City


The first record (vinyl - yes, I'm that old!) I ever bought with my own money for my first ever record player that my Grandad bought me for my 10th birthday in 1978.  I remember being so excited at getting that present because I'd wanted a record player for ages - it was dark blue, with a lid, I can still remember it now - and I also remember runing into the record shop in North Shields that day clutching my money to buy my first ever 7 inch single... ah, those were the days...


The Source feat. Candi Staton - You Got The Love


Every time I hear this song it reminds me of a Take That gig me and the girls went to at the GMex in Manchester back in the 90's.  Before the guys came on stage the music blasting out around the arena was one of those Best Dance Albums in the World... Ever!, and everyone was up on their feet, dancing, getting into the mood for a great gig (which it was - for the record) and I just remember this song playing as the time got nearer for the band to take to the stage, and I just remember feeling so happy!  The early 90's were a fab time for me anyway, and I loved this song, but for some reason it will always remind me of that gig, and a fabulous night.  Always...

Cher - Believe


 
Not an overly huge fan of this song, but it will always remind me of the first holiday me and my husband (or fiance as he was back then) took abroad together to Palma Nova in Majorca back in the late 90's.  We stayed in a beautiful little all inclusive hotel and this song was nearly always played every night before the entertainment started, and every time I hear it I always remember what a fabulous holiday that was.  So good that we returned to that same hotel on two more occasions, and it never disappointed.  Good times...


Nickelback - Do This Anymore


This song reminds me of writing my very first book, No Matter What.  In fact, Nickelback provided practically the whole soundtrack to that book, and I have no real idea why, but their music - especially a lot of stuff from The Long Road album - inspired that book a great deal.  The lyrics to some of those songs just spoke to me in a way I can't explain, but sometimes, when I played that album - and this song in particular - I could picture scenes in my head, picture the way I wanted the story to go, the way I wanted characters to react.  It was almost like I could create a mini-movie in my head, thanks to this song.  And now every time I hear this track it will always remind me of No Matter What, and how much I loved creating that story - my first literary baby.  And a book that will always be very special to me - and this song will always remind me of that.


So there we have it.  5 songs that remind me of 5 special times/events/places.  Although I'm sure, if I sat here long enough, I could think of at least a dozen more.

So, what about you?  Have you got 5 songs that remind you of 5 times/events/places in your life?  Think about it... Because I bet you have. :-)


1 comment:

  1. The Source ft Candi Staton will forever remind me of my days DJing with an old mate and the fact he always called her Candi STATION when announcing the song on the mic lol.

    ReplyDelete