Monday, 13 February 2012

My Monday ramblings - The BAFTA's, and assorted other movie related stuff...

...because last night, in London, The BAFTA's happened!  So, what better way to start a new week than with a bit of a fun post to talk about movie's, movie stars and the films I watched over the weekend - and I watched a few, because the TV was, to put it mildly, rubbish!

So, what movies did I watch over the weekend then?  Well, on Saturday night we chose to watch 'I Love You, Man' - a bromantic comedy!!  Well, it was hubby's birthday and I thought he might like it!

And we both really, really liked it!  I'm sorry, but sometimes a bit of a near-the-knuckle (humour-wise) couple of hours is just what's needed, and if a movie makes me laugh out loud then that's a winner for me, and this one did.  It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a sucker for movies like 'The Hangover', 'Horrible Bosses' and 'The Change-Up', so this one was always going to be a winner for me.

And last night, it was a movie starring one of my all-time favourite actresses - Meryl Streep.

'It's Complicated' - another comedy - was a movie I adored, but wasn't sure my other half would like, so I was surprised when he said he'd really enjoyed it.  The title of the movie may be 'It's Complicated', but the plot wasn't, really - the story of a divorced couple who end up having an affair.  But it was really funny, had a lot of laugh-out-loud moments, Alec Baldwin was great and Meryl Streep, well, she just continues to prove that she can turn her hand to anything.  She was fabulous, as always.  I loved it.  It was a great way to round off a nice, quiet, relaxing weekend.

Oh, and while we're on the subject of Meryl Streep, that brings us nicely onto the subject of the BAFTA's, really, doesn't it?  Because the lady herself won Best Actress for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher, and I fully expect that it was very much deserved, because from what I've heard, she had our ex-Prime Minster down to a tee!

Now, I'm a huge, huge fan of Ms. Streep, but not a huge fan of Margaret Thatcher, by any stretch of the imagination.  Not many people are up here in the north of England.  In fact, mention her name in most places around the North East and you'll get, well, it's not wise, to be honest.

However, I'm intrigued to see how Meryl Streep tackles that role, so we will watch 'The Iron Lady' at some point, but hubby is refusing to pay money to sit in a cinema to watch a film about a woman who did absolutely nothing to help him at all during her time as Prime Minister.  So, we'll have to wait for the DVD, but in the meantime, who else won what at The BAFTA's?  Well, in my opinion, George Clooney won Best Looking Bloke to Grace the Red Carpet, but as far as movie's were concerned, it looks like The Artist seemed to have the awards pretty much sewn up there.  I'm saying looks like, because I didn't actually watch the BAFTA's on TV myself, for a number of reasons:-
1) Other half cannot bear these type of things and would just have moaned all the way through making it completely unbearable.
2) Other half can't stand Stephen Fry - although, to be fair, neither can I - and I didn't have the energy to sit through a two hour tirade of how much he dislikes him and why.
3) I didn't really want to sit through them.  Sometimes these things bore the life out of me.  I had a much better time watching 'It's Complicated', although I hear Colin Firth was the perfect gentleman when Meryl Streep lost her shoe on the way to collect her Best Actress award, returning it to her like a real-life Prince Charming...I love Colin Firth...

So, The Artisit...anyone seen it?  Is it as good as everyone seems to think it is?  Although there are rumours that a few cinemas have actually had people walking out before the end because they claimed it was that bad, but you can't please all of the people all of the time, and boy, do I know all about that!!

I'm just curious, because I'm not one of those people who tends to go see a movie just because it's getting hyped to hell.  That's not a good enough reason for me.  I mean, I still haven't seen 'The King's Speech', for heaven's sake!  I'm that behind with movies.  But I'd love to know if anyone out there has seen 'The Artisit' because it's a movie that intrigues me more than anything.  A silent black and white film shot in 4:3 that's taking the movie world by storm?  Really?  But I just don't know all that much about it, about from the fact it's got a very cute dog in it.  Did he not win anything?  By all accounts he's excellent in the movie! ;-)

OK.  I think I've rambled on enough for now.  There's not really much else I can say about The BAFTA's because I have no idea who was wearing what, who looked good and who looked like they'd taken 5 minutes to get ready, I just know that George Clooney looked gorgeous (as usual) and a silent movie swept the board. 

But, we're now heading at a rate of knots towards the Big One - The Oscars!  And where that one's concerned, I may pay closer attention, study the outfits, check out the talent on the Red Carpet, you know, all the important stuff! ;-)

But, until then, look out for the post I promised last week and haven't yet delivered (Bradley Cooper -v- Ryan Gosling - I'm still doing the research!) and let's look forward to the biggest night in the Hollywood calender because, if you love movies (as I do) then it's the one we all wait for.  Although, if the BAFTA's are any indication, then it's looking likely that black and white is going to rule the roost on that side of the pond too...


No comments:

Post a Comment