Wednesday, 15 February 2012

The A-Z of me!

I've been tagged by the lovely @Mummy_Misfit, and also by the equally lovely @Missuswolf to complete my A-Z of me! And by accepting that tag, I've now got to, well, describe myself in 26 words - from A - Z!  So, want to find out a little bit more about me?  OK.  Here we go ...

Archie, probably begging for biscuits ...
A - Archie.  My little West Highland Terrier.  And I love him to bits!  I don't have children, so he's kind of like my baby and despite the fact he's got a huge mouth on him for a small dog, and drives me mad sometimes, I love him so much!

B -Books.  I love to read, I always have done.  For as long as I can remember I've always had a book or two on the go, always needed something to read, to allow me to escape the real world for a little while and enter a completely different one.  From my younger years reading The Famous Five and Malory Towers, to the days when I now love anything from a great Jackie Collins to a creepy James Herbert novel, not to mention some fantastic work from some of the fabulous indie authors I've met over the past year.  I may be a writer, creating stories of my own now, but I will always love to read.  Always. 

C - Clumsy.  Yep, if anyone's going to smash a glass or drop a plate without even trying, that's me.  I know I'm half Greek and plate-smashing is part of my culture but I can be a serious hindrance to our crockery collection at times.

D - Darts.  I love darts!  Have I told anyone that?  Can't remember if I've mentioned it before... ;-)

E - The Eighties.  Don't even get me started.  I loved the 80's!  I was a teenager in the 80's and it was a time when the music was much better than it is today (as I write this Adam & The Ants are playing on the radio), we may only have had 3 then 4 TV channels but kids' telly was more imaginative (come back Grange Hill and Cheggars Plays Pop!), oh, and we didn't have "proms" back then, no, we had an end-of-term school disco with a couple of sets of flashing lights on the DJ booth and the teachers hanging around making sure you didn't sneak off to the loo to down a bottle of Woodpecker!  Ah, those were the days...
The gorgeous island of Tenerife & the resort of Fanabe

F - Fanabe.  A resort in Tenerife, where I lived for a couple of years.  A lovely little resort with lots of bars, restaurants, and cafes and it was a place I loved when I lived in Tenerife.  It's also home to the best Chinese restaurant on the island (in my opinion) and I can't wait to get back there soon (hopefully!) to sample their Peking Crispy Duck and a plate of Ginger Beef and Spring Onions ...

Our Gambian wedding day.
G - Gambia.  Where I married my fabulous husband, Ian, back in 2003.  It's an - interesting, shall we say - country is The Gambia, and we had some incredible (and incredibly funny) experiences there, but our wedding day was lovely - quiet, but certainly a day to remember.


H - The Hangover movies.  Bloody love them!  Don't know what that says about my sense of humour but they both made me laugh out loud, and the sight of a hot and sweaty Bradley Cooper is never going to be a bad thing, is it?  

 

I - Ian.  My wonderful husband, and I don't tell him that enough, really, because he puts up with a hell of a lot from me!  We met back in 1994 when we were both on the same Performing Arts course at college and we've been together ever since.  We may clash when it comes to musical tastes (he hates rock music and I hate his ridiculous love of crappy dance rubbish) but we have much the same taste in TV and movies, he makes me laugh almost every day, and he's also been a great support to me when it comes to my writing.  Without him I'd still be working out how to upload a book to Amazon!  Yep, it's very handy being married to a computer expert, even if I have got what feels like the oldest computer known to man to work on...

Joe Bonamassa

J - Joe Bonamassa. A true blues/rock legend in the making.  An incredible guitarist and singer and one of the best performers I have ever had the privelege to see play live.  Just love his music.  Love it! 



K - Keanu Reeves.  Now, surely this one can't be a secret.  Surely everyone knows by now how much I love Keanu!  No?  Well, I love Keanu.  Have done ever since I saw him in that wet suit in 'Point Break' and it'll never go away.  He's my permanent celebrity crush!

Keanu Reeves - 'nuff said...

L - Life on Mars.  I absolutely loved this when it was on TV (UK version, that is, not the US one.)  John Simm was fabulous as Sam Tyler (and I'm still a big fangirl of his now!) and Philip Glenister, well, what can you say?  Gene Hunt is a legend!  In fact, writing this has made me want to dig out the DVD's and watch it all over again...






M - Michelle.  My name, obviously.  And apparently I was named after the Beatles song of the same name which was playing on the radio when my mum and dad were trying to think of what to call their first born.  Personally, I love the name, but that Beatles song was never me favourite ...

N - The North East of England.  I'm a Geordie (like Cheryl Cole, for those of you who don't know what a Geordie is), and I'm proud of that fact.  I love this part of the country, I love the North East - despite the fact I buggered off for a couple of years to go live in The Canaries.  I came back though, didn't I?  I don't know what it is but I just love being a northener, probably because I've always been one, but I could actually have grown up with a southern accent if me dad had taken that job in Surrey back in the 70's.

Newcastle's Tyne Bridge
But he didn't, so I grew up a fully fledged northener instead.  I just love the sense of humour we have up here, all the different accents and dialects, the beautiful scenery and the incredible cities.  I love the fact we turned out comedies like The Likely Lads and programmes such as Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and Spender... I loved Spender... whatever happened to Jimmy Nail...?

O - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.  One of my absolute favourite Jack Nicholson films, in fact, it was probably the movie that made me sit up and take notice of him as an actor and I've loved him ever since.  But this movie was a classic, although, to this day I still can't work out why we were made to watch it during an 'O' level sociology lesson at school...

P - Peter Kay.  I just love this man!  He can make me laugh without even opening his mouth, he's just incredibly funny.  Not to everyone's taste, but he's certainly mine!  And I can watch Phoenix Nights again and again and it still makes me cry with laughter.  I guess I've got a very "old school" sense of humour, but all I know is that if ever I feel down, then a Peter Kay DVD can get me right back up there within seconds!

Q -Q10.  That stuff they put in face cream that's supposed to help make you look younger - I'm allergic to it.  Can't put anything near my face with that stuff in it.  Brings me out in an itchy, red rash so, unfortunately, I'm going to have to grow old (dis)gracefully!

R -Rock Music.  I'm a total closet rock chick.  Given half a chance I'd be riding off into the sunset on the back of a Harley Davidson clinging onto a Dave Grohl look-a-like and spending the summer traipsing round rock festivals (I think I've just given myself the idea for another book there...) but, apart from the fact I've got my very own tattoo on my right upper arm, I can only dream of being that wild and outrageous woman!  But I do love rock.  Anything from the softer sounds of The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac to the odd Iron Maiden and Motorhead track, and God knows how I came to love this stuff because I was brought up listening to Cliff Richard so I can only think that I subconciously rebelled somewhere along the line...

S -Sunderland University.  Where I used to work as a Media Technician, and I loved that job!  It was, at the time, the best job in the world as far as I was concerned.  I worked with some great people, in an environment I adored - surrounded by cables and TV equipment and edit machines - and I got to go to work every day in jeans, boots and t-shirts!  Result!  My perfect job!  The only reason I left the job was because we decided to throw caution to the wind and move to Tenerife for a little while, but I'll never forget that job.  Got some great, really happy memories of Sunderland University.  And I got to shake David Puttnam's hand when he visited our Media Centre. Nice bloke...
Take That - a hard habit to break...

T - Take That.  A habit I just can't seem to break, although, if Gary Barlow does return to The X Factor as a judge this year it might make my job easier because he irritated me so much last year that I really did consider terminating my two-decade-long fan-girl membership of this band.  But, I've loved Take That since they first crashed onto the scene back in the (very) early 90's, I've got some really great memories of the times we had following them round the country (back then - not now, I haven't got the bloody energy now!), and I just can't shake the habit.  I can't.  I've tried.  And, despite my better judgement, with rumours of another tour on the horizon, that'll be me standing in a very long queue outside the Stadium of Light some time around October... oh, deep joy ...

Me & the girls en-route to a Take That gig in Manchester back in the '90's.

U -Untidiness.  Not a great fan of this.  In fact, I think I may be slightly OCD over some things, I mean, if I see one of the coasters on the coffee table in the living room at a bit of a dodgy angle I have to get up and straighten it.  But I really can't stand mess.  It drives me mad! 

V - Vic and Bob.  Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, that is.  They're definitely not everyone's cup of tea but I find them hilarious!  I know I said before, when talking about Peter Kay, that I have a very "old school" sense of humour, but when it comes to these two - I don't know, I just love them!  I saw them live back in the 90's when they took the Vic Reeves Big Night Out show on tour and it was the funniest thing I've ever seen (bar the Peter Kay shows), their comedy is just so random and so surreal but in my opinion, well, it works for me! Especially The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer when they did 'Slade in Residence'! Vic Reeves' Noddy Holder was genius!

W - Worrying.  I've always been a huge worrier.  I worry about anything and everything, in fact, if I haven't got anything to worry about I'm worried.  It's a terrible habit (worse than the Take That one) because half the time whatever I'm worrying about is actually really not that important at all.  It drives my poor husband mad, so it's a good job he's an optimist.

X -Xanadu.  A song by Olivia Newton John that I think falls into the category of "guilty pleasures", but I love it!  And it also features ELO, which are another of my "guilty pleasures"... 

Y - Yellow.  One of my favourite colours, believe it or not.  I just think it's a beautiful, bright, sunny colour and I fully intend to paint my hallway a nice shade of this before the year is out.

Z - Zumba.  I've just started doing this, even if it isn't particularly good for me dodgy knee! I'm not a huge fan of exercise, but I wanted something that involved a little bit of dancing and could actually allow me to do some regular exercise and have a little bit of fun at the same time.  Well, it certainly involves dancing, and I suppose it could be fun, if it doesn't finish you off first...

So, there you have it.  The A-Z of me, more random facts that you might or might not have known about me.  In fact, one or two of them surprised even me... Olivia Newton John????


No comments:

Post a Comment