Friday, 27 January 2012

Reasons why I won't be around quite as much as I have been...

I realised something this morning, as I was coming back from a trip to the shops.  I realised that I can't seem to do anything at a leisurely pace, I mean, I was in absolutely no rush today but there I was, almost sprinting back home like I'd left the chip pan on!  Why?  Why do I do that?  Why couldn't I just enjoy that nice, calm walk into town and then stroll back home for a cup of coffee and a sit down before getting on with the day?  Because I can't.  That's just the way I am.  Even after years of living on one of the most relaxed, laid back islands ever (Tenerife) I learnt nothing - absolutely nothing, because I still can't do anything without my mind rushing off in a hundred different directions and that constant feeling that I should be doing something, even if there really isn't anything to do.

And that's been half the reason why I'm currently just a touch behind with getting this new book finished.  My focus has decided to bugger off on holiday for a while leaving me floundering in a million different directions, getting distracted by any and everything.  Well, no more.  The time has come for me to put a stop to all that and get back to basics - and by that, I mean get some bloody writing done! 

Oh, I know I've been saying that for months now - I'm going to knuckle down, apply some self-discipline, blah, blah, blah... well, this time I mean it.  No, honestly, this time I'm serious.  It's time to stop rushing around like the proverbial blue-arsed fly, flitting from one thing to another and not really getting anything constructive done.  It's going to stop.

I'm weaning myself off this for a while...
So, here's the thing - I'm going to disappear off the radar, so to speak, for a little while.  And by that I mean I won't be fannying around on Twitter or Facebook quite as much as I have been doing lately.  Oh, I'm not going to disappear completely - I haven't got that much willpower - but I certainly won't be visiting quite as often.  I'll be checking both Twitter and Facebook daily, I'll still be blogging, and anyone who really wants to get in touch with me can still do so through email/text/etc.  And I'll still be promoting my books, but not half as much as I have been doing in the past, and there'll be no more special promotion days for the forseeable future because I need to concentrate on writing now.  That's why I wanted to become a writer after all - to write.  That's what I love doing.  All the promoting, well, that's just a necessary evil that has to be done otherwise nobody knows you're out there.  But I'm not a natural salesperson, it doesn't come easy, and I don't really enjoy it, but what I do enjoy is writing, and over the past few months I've missed that.  I've missed getting up and sitting at my desk with nothing to do but write, and I need to get those days back in order to get this book finished and make it the best that I can.  I need to immerse myself in those characters again, feel their story, get into their heads and live their lives and I can't do that if I'm distracted by Tweeting and promoting and worrying about how many books I'm selling.

A self-imposed Twitter break may be needed...
I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not here to sell books, of course I am.  Let's not kid myself.  But I'm also here to write, and that's what the next couple of months are going to entail for me now.  A little bit of tweeting (emphasis on the word little), a few visits to Facebook (mainly to update my author page, but also possibly for a visit to the Bradley Cooper site... I'm not made of stone, come on...!), but one hell of a lot of writing!

So, there we have it.  I'm off, I'm going to join my make-believe world of movie stars and handsome Las Vegas hotel owners; I'm going to live in that world and get this book finished, so if I'm not around as much then that's why.  No other reason.  I'll just be sat at my desk, listening to my music, and tapping away at my keyboard as I complete Illusions of Love, and at least try to keep to that self-imposed deadline that I set myself at the beginning of this year, to have this book finished, edited, and out there by April - at the latest!  Here's hoping!

The follow up is almost here...!
OK, now, before I go anywhere, I really must do just a touch more research... is that trailer for The Hangover still in my YouTube favourites...?


2 comments:

  1. I will miss seeing your tweets throughout the day, Michelle, but I completely understand your decision. It really is almost impossible to get any writing of worth done when you're also doing book promotion, flitting off to different social networks, visiting blogs, checking sales stats, trying to think of more ways to sell your work, contacting other authors/bloggers/site owners about promotional opportunities. I've been doing the same thing with my book for the last few weeks and I barely have any time left over to interact with friends and family, much less write!

    There comes a time (which you've apparently reached) when you have to say, "I've done all that I can for this book" then leave your "baby" to its fate and move on to the next project. Writing should always be a writer's top priority. You can't hold on to the fans/readers you've gained from your most recent release if you don't have something new to offer them in a reasonable amount of time.

    So, I wish you the best of luck with your new book. I will look forward to reading about your progress here on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on finishing your WIP, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete