Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Kindles & Keanu Reeves ... my early January ramblings...

I got a Kindle for Christmas!  Yep, I finally got my hands on the one piece of technology I've been desperate to own for ages!  And from the second I got my hands on it I've become almost obsessed with it!  I even ignored (some, not all!) darts on the TV over the holiday period in favour of sitting down and enjoying a good book on this fascinating little device.

I just can't believe that something so tiny and so thin can hold so many books!  It's a dream come true for me, having all that reading material in one place, and being able to carry it around with me wherever I go - it's like having your own personal library in your handbag!  How cool is that?

You see, I may be a writer, but I love to read just as much as I love to write, and now that I own a Kindle, it's finally given me a chance to check out all those fabulous authors I've met along the way in the seven months or so since I started my writing journey, and I am so excited about that!

Of course, when my husband uttered those words "go buy yourself a few books to stick on it" I'm not sure he realised that he should have put a limit on just how many books I was supposed to download because, as I'm fast finding out, it's FAR too easy to purchase ebooks - one click, and a few seconds later your book appears, just sitting there waiting to be read!  I think I'm managing to curb this new-found habit I've acquired though, after all, you can only read one book at a time, can't you?  Well, I can anyway.  That's not to say I won't lapse now and again, because there are one or two books about to be published that I just have to get my hands on....

All I can say is, to those of you out there who love reading and haven't yet got yourself a Kindle (or any other eReading device!) I strongly recommend you get yourself one!  If you love books, you won't be disappointed!

Anyway, what else have I been getting up to over the past week or so... well, apart from working hard on my new book (Illusions of Love - follow up to No Matter What) and easing myself gently into 2012, I've been indulging in another of my hard-to-break habits - Keanu Reeves.  Oh, not the real Keanu Reeves - dear God, if only! - no, I've been watching another of his films, though.  This time, 'Henry's Crime', the story of a man who is sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit, and once he's released, realises that he's done the time, so he may as well do the crime...

Now, I'll be the first one to stand up and admit that not all of Keanu's movies have had the best plots/best acting/etc., but 'Henry's Crime' was a really great movie!  It was one of those movie's you sit down to watch and find yourself slowy getting drawn into.  It's got a good story, great characters, and some fabulous acting from everyone concerned - it's got romance, humour, and a great-looking Keanu, so I was well happy!  Not that I'm shallow or anything...  heaven forbid!

Keanu Reeves - not just a pretty face...

















Me?  Shallow?  The very thought... ;-)

I actually really like Keanu when he does romance - such as in 'The Lake House' - and maybe that's just my age, but he really didn't do anything for me in stuff like 'The Matrix', least of all because I spent so much time trying to get to grips with the bloody plot that I couldn't concentrate on how hot he looked!  It's not that I've got a short attention span or anything, it's just that I don't want to go to the cinema and feel as though I'm sitting a maths exam, which is pretty much how 'The Matrix' made me feel.  He may have looked as sexy as hell but I didn't have the energy to sit through the sequels!

However, if you like a bit of romance, a dose of humour, a good story, and a touch of rather pleasant eye candy, then give 'Henry's Crime' a go.  I'd certainly recommend it.

So, I've got my Kindle, I've indulged in a bit of Keanu Reeves (any bit would do, I'm not fussy!!), my writing is going better than okay, and as far as January is concerned, it's all going fine - so far.  I could do with losing a few pounds and dropping a dress size, of course, but that's a whole other blog post that is...

5 comments:

  1. I have a Kindle too, but I still prefer a good old-fashioned paperback! Saying that however, the Kindle is so handy and the amount of books you get put on it is almost endless. Saves a lot of space on the shelves!!

    CJ x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your obsessions with both the Kindle and Keanu! :) I am NOT having very good luck in controlling myself with buying e-books for my Kindle, but that's because I got $200 worth of Amazon gift cards along with my Kindle at Xmas. I need to be careful, though, or those gift cards will run out quickly.

    My Keanu crush goes all the way back to Point Break. SIGH I think my friends and I went to see that at the theatre 6 or 7 times. ITA with you, Michelle, that I like Keanu's romantic movies better than stuff like The Matrix. A Walk in the Clouds is one of my favorites of his. I hated Something's Gotta Give because I could not figure out how Diane Keaton could choose Jack Nicholson over gorgeous Dr. Keanu! Was the woman insane?

    I'm curious, Michelle. Have you ever based one of your characters on Keanu?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough, Tracie, the character of Kenny Ross in No Matter What is based very heavily on Keanu. :) Made writing that character so much more interesting! I did a post on here a while back - 'No Matter What' My Ultimate Fantasy Cast List - you might find it quite interesting. ;)

    Oh, and me and my sister went to our local cinema 5 times in one week to watch Point Break just because Keanu looked so gorgeous!

    Have to agree with you about Diane Keaton in Something's Gotta Give, I mean, I love Jack Nicholson, but over Keanu??? No!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha I see what you did there, Michelle. Kenny Ross has the same initials as Keanu Reeves. Now I really want to read 'No Matter What'! I need some quality reading time, dammit!

    That's so funny that you and your sister saw Point Break over and over again at the theatre. Johnny Utah . . . SIGH What a dreamboat! Hard to believe that movie came out over 20 years ago! EEK! I'm getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love my Kindle. LOVE Keanu!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete