Thursday, 29 December 2011

Meet The Author - Pauline Barclay


Today I am pleased to be sharing a well-earned glass of festive bubbly as I chat with the lovely Pauline Barclay, author of novels Magnolia House, Satchfield Hall, and Sometimes It Happens...


She's also the woman behind the fabulous Famous Five Plus site, which we'll learn more about later.  

But first, let's find out a little bit more about Pauline, her books, and her life on the wonderful island of Lanzarote...




What made you want to become a writer?
An over active imagination! I’ve always loved writing, as a child I wrote poems, even a song once, which was sung at school on open day. Many years later I started writing short stories, but it was after I studied with the Open University for a BA (Hons) degree that I was offered work in communications. I then spent many years writing for corporate companies in the UK and then later in Holland. This then spilt over in to writing fiction, though some argued I was already doing that!!.

How do you gather together ideas for your books?
I’m a tad nosey and often listen into other people’s conversations where I sometimes get an initial idea. I gather all these snippets and then let them mull around in my head. Then I let my imagination run wild, that bit is very easy! It’s at this stage that characters and more ideas start to form. Once I start writing I can change things so many times that I wonder if I will ever have a novel at the end of zillions of re-writes!

Tell us a little bit about your books.
I have three books published, they are all different, but one thing they have in common is that each story is about something that has happened that triggers a chain of events. In Magnolia House a tragedy years earlier that struck the Leonard family eventually leads to Jane Leonard giving half of her house to her only son, but what happened in the past, pales by what this act of kindness does as Jane Leonard faces being homeless.

Satchfield Hall is an epic saga that spans four decades. Celia Bryant-Smythe committed the worse social sin of the time, sleeping with her lover before marriage, the consequences were devastating. Her father, the Squire of Satchfield Hall, powerful and ruthless is determined to make her pay and he does.

Sometimes It Happens… is about a working class woman with a seventeen year old daughter who wins the lottery. Doreen Wilkinson, convinced the rich are friendly, kind and sophisticated, could not be more mistaken as she and her fun loving daughter arrive at the luxury villa resort, Villas Bonitas. Doreen is totally unprepared for Villas Bonitas and Villas Bonitas, with its rich but not posh owners and guests are not prepared for the “fink fought” speaking Doreen Wilkinson.  


Would you say you write in any particular genre, or do you prefer just to see where the next book takes you?
I guess if I was to place my writing into a genre, I would say family sagas and probably, Post Chick Lit

You live on the gorgeous Canarian island of Lanzarote.  Do you find that living in the sun inspires you to write more?  And can you tell us a little bit about a typical day in the life of Pauline Barclay?
I love the sun, it such an inspiration for everything I do in particular writing. As for my days they are not routine as I have several commitment and these can mean I am busy every day of the week. The only real routine to my day is our early morning walk along the seafront with our two gorgeous doggies. For me the most beautiful time of the day. 
The beautiful island of Lanzarote



With Christmas and New Year celebrations upon us, can you tell us a little bit of what you’ve been doing over the festive season?  And how does Christmas over there in The Canary Islands differ to Christmas over in the U.K.?
Apart from the weather, which normally is gorgeous, it also quite international. Not only because of the people living here, but many come from, Norway, Ireland, Germany, UK, Spain to celebrate their Christmas and New Year in the sun. For us, it will be a traditional British Christmas with all the trimmings and, all being well, we will sit out in the sun overlooking the ocean eating our turkey!

You’re the author behind the fabulous Famous Five Plus site, of which I’m a member.  What made you want to create that site? 
As an Indie Author, who takes writing seriously and professionally I wanted to create a group where like minded Indie Authors could come together to share experiences and support. Being an Indie Authors as you know, means you have to organize and do everything yourself. It is not only hard work, but only one voice trying to compete in the market place. I wanted to create a site that would not only showcase all the group members and their publications, but be dynamic, interesting and informative and one that we could all share in promoting. Apart from Sunday, I update the Famous Five Plus site everyday and because I want each group member to participate, the Post, Book Page, News and Trailer Page are changed everyday show casing FFP members publications. The membership is growing, which means our presence is growing too which has to be a positive for FFP and each member


The life of a writer can be an incredibly busy one – especially in your case!  But what do you like to do to relax?
I don’t relax easy…! But when I do, I love walking our doggies and disappearing into a great book. 

Can you tell us about any new projects you’re working on at the minute?
I am trying to write my new book, it has a working title, Maddisons, but with so much going on at the moment, I am struggling with enough hours…. Laugh! But isn’t everyone these days!

Thank you, Michelle, for inviting me to your fabby Blog, it’s been great chatting with you, and also thanks for the lovely bubbly, so well chilled!


And thank you, Pauline, for taking the time to talk to me.  It was a pleasure to share the bubbly with you. :)  I wish you every success in 2012 with your writing! 

You can buy all of Pauline's books - both as ebooks and in paperback - from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com 

And you can also find out more about Pauline and her work on her website - paulinebarclay.co.uk - her blog Scribbles! and also over at Famous Five Plus.

1 comment:

  1. Thank youn again Michelle for having on your fabby Blog. Wishing you a very happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete