Monday, 21 November 2011

Christmas is coming... just a bit too early for me...

We're still in November, aren't we?  I mean, I haven't fallen asleep and woken up sometime in mid-December have I?  Because it certainly feels as if I have.  We've only just had Halloween and Bonfire Night but all of a sudden I'm flicking over radio stations and hearing Wham!'s 'Last Christmas', and I'm the first person to have a good old sing-a-long to The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl's 'Fairytale of New York', just not until I've opened at least a couple of doors on the advent calender!
And I'm not being all "bah humbug" here, I just think that every year we seem to start celebrating Christmas earlier and earlier.  At this rate we'll be digging out the tinsel and cracking open the mince pies before we've got August Bank holiday out of the way! 

Bit early for all this, isn't it?
Heaven knows how people with kids are coping.  I mean, I used to get incredibly excited when Christmas started drawing near, but I'm talking a couple of weeks before the event here - nowadays kids must be getting themselves wound up into a frenzy of anticipation before their pumpkins have been carved out!
It was never like this in my day, and yes, I'm aware that makes me sound old, but it wasn't.  Was it?  There must be a few of you out there like me (and by that I mean in your 40's) who remember Christmas back in the day, when the build up started in December, not October!
Maybe I'm just getting more cynical as I get older, but I can't really seem to let myself get into that Christmas spirit until the tree is up and the house is decorated - and no way is that happening until at least the first weekend of December because, yes, I've seen trees up already.  I kid you not.  At least wait until the final week of 'I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!', for heaven's sake!
I love Christmas, don't get me wrong.  I love the build up, I love the songs, I love the fact Michael Buble has a Christmas special on ITV this year (although I can't say the prospect of the latter sent my other half into spasms of delight), I just don't want any of it to happen until we've taken those first few tentative steps into the final month of the year.  At least let me get November out of the way before I have to start the annual panic about what to get various family members as presents and just who it is we visit on what particular day.  It's stressful enough without having to start thinking about it any earlier than is absolutely necessary!
I'm probably starting to sound like Bill Murray in 'Scrooged' now, but I'm really not one of those people who hates Christmas - far from it!  I'm getting a Kindle this year so I'm counting the days until I can get me hands on that, believe me!  And I love it when the Christmas lights are up, and the house feels all cosy and warm (although, thanks to the extortionate cost of utility bills in the UK, I'm glad I've got a Slanket because leaving the heating on all day is a long-gone luxury, I can tell you!) with my candles lit (another welcome source of heat... blimey, beginning to sound like something out of 'A Christmas Carol' now...), and Slade belting out 'Merry Christmas Everybody' (which they've been doing since 1973 but who cares? It's a classic!), I love all of that!  Just, not yet.  Ok?
Let me get my head around the fact the festive season is almost upon us again when, quite frankly, it doesn't feel like 5 minutes since I was getting the Christmas tree out from behind the sofa in the spare room and trailing lights around the kitchen shelves!  Where's this year gone?  You see, me blood pressure's going up already!
So, maybe I should just go with the flow, start trawling the Argos website for present ideas (John Lewis might do beautiful adverts but they're still out of my price range!) and start looking forward to whatever tragedy the Eastenders Christmas Day episode is going to throw at us, and from what I've heard it's not looking good for Pat... because it's certainly starting to look as though it's a case of if you can't beat 'em...  right, where's that Greatest Ever Christmas Hits CD... ?

Fancy a bit of escapism this Christmas? Looking for a book that can take you away from it all?  Why not try one of mine!  At the minute,  my chick-lit-inspired novel Too Much Trouble in Paradise, my sexy romantic saga No Matter What and my edgy, rock 'n' roll romance See You At The Show are all available to download for just 86p until January 2012 from Amazon.co.uk.

And from Amazon.com for just $0.99!


2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with you more - but I really thought you'd be counting the sleeps, knowing you've got a Kindle in your stocking. Finally you will get to see your books - what a great feeling! Oh, and can I be the first to wish you a very happy one?! (and a prosperous writer's new year) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the same to you! :) May 2012 bring us everything we've dreamed of! x

    ReplyDelete