Friday, 25 November 2011

Book reviews... I need some!

I'm frustrated today.  Actually, I've been frustrated for a good part of the week, if I'm being honest.  Why?  Because Bradley Cooper hasn't yet knocked at my door offering to whisk me away to some exotic location? (Whitby would do, the way I'm feeling!)  No, of course not.  I may live in a fantasy land half the time but I'm not that deluded!

Because our broadband went off yesterday afternoon and didn't come back on until a couple of hours ago?  Well, yes, that did actually frustrate the hell out of me, even though I have no idea why.  Thanks to that enforced break from the World Wide Web I managed to make some real headway on 'Illusions Of Love', writing over 3,000 words and finally pushing the story on into its final phase.  But you really don't realise how much you actually rely on an internet connection until you don't have one anymore!  British Telecom are keeping their eye on the "problem" (whatever it is - they have no idea, apparently) so I'm only hoping I can get this post finished before it decides to go down again.

Want to review this book? Please, feel free!
So, why am I frustrated then?  Book reviews.  That's why.  I'm beginning to realise that it would be easier for me to track down, marry, and have 3 kids with Keanu Reeves than it would be for me to gain some more book reviews.  I've sold a fair few books, yet only have a handful of reviews that have barely scarped into double figures over all 3 novels!  That's terrible!  But not only that, it can't be doing anything to help sales.

Rock 'n' Roll & politics? All wrapped up in an edgy romance? What do you think about it?
I've tried offering books for free to people in return for them leaving a review on Amazon/Goodreads etc... but even the offer of free books isn't working.  I know that a lot of reviewers won't accept ebooks, so that's a whole section alientated straightaway, or maybe I'm just not pushing myself enough to get my books reviewed, I don't know, I just know that - this week - it's been the one thing that's made me feel quite down.  Sales haven't been particularly bad (not fantastic, but not bad, and better than last months, by a handful) but reviews just don't seem to be forthcoming.  I ask every now and again, on Facebook/Twitter, for anyone who's read my books and hasn't yet left a review - no matter how small - to please take the time to leave one, but more often than not I get absolutely no responses.  And it can sometimes make you feel as though either nobody can be bothered, or they just don't like your books!!

Now, I'm not saying that I want reviews to appear just to stroke my ego, that's not the case.  Of course I want to know what people think of my work - what writer doesn't want to know that?  Just a few short sentences, a handful of words expressing what someone thought about your books, that can go such a long way to making this whole writing process a lot easier, and it does no harm as far as sales are concerned.  The more people read about a book, the more they see that other people enjoyed it - in the end it could help someone make that decision as to whether they're going to buy the book for themselves, or not.  And I've not had a new review for months now.

An epic, contemporary romance - is that your kind of thing?

















I think confidence is an issue with me too, though.  Infact, I know it is.  I write what some people have called "trashy" romance - Jackie Collins-esque, movie stars and rock stars, glamour and sex, it's all there in my books (although not in 'Too Much Trouble in Paradise' - that's very much a light-hearted, chick lit, fun romance!), and not everybody likes that kind of thing.  So, I suppose, I'm a touch nervous to push my books onto reviewers incase they don't really rate the kind of stuff I write.  But, then again - and I have this argument with myself on a daily basis - I am actually very proud of what I write.  I love my books, and I think there's a readership out there who would like them too, they just need a bit of a push to get them out there and noticed by the kind of people who would love to read them.  And a few more reviews wouldn't hurt, at all!  So, should I start pushing them a bit more?  To reviewers?  Because I know I have to do this myself, nobody's going to come asking me for a book to review (although, please feel free!), but I am painfully shy, believe me, and I'm still having a lot of trouble pushing myself forward in any way.

So, yes, it's been a frustrating week, but I think that's partly down to me letting things get to me more than I should, and partly because I know what I should be doing, I'm just finding it hard to muster up the confidence to do it!

But, the only thing I really want for Christmas (except that Kindle I know I'm getting... and Bradley Cooper - preferably unwrapped - would be nice too...) is to see a few more reviews appear for my books.  That's all.  A few words, just a couple of sentences... nobody has any idea how much that would cheer me up. 

Before I go, however, I would like to say a huge thank you to those that have taken the time to leave reviews - on both Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com.  There are a handful of you out there who are always the first to read and review my books, and for that I am truly, truly grateful.

Now, I reckon it's time I stopped whinging and got back to writing.  However, if there is anyone out there who would like to review any of my books, you know where to find me... ;)

All 3 of my eBooks are available to download from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com

 

1 comment:

  1. A post that I can relate to tremendously, so you are not alone with this thought about reviews. Great to see a well written honest post and I hope this sincerity reaches the readers, you deserve.

    ReplyDelete