Wednesday, 30 November 2011

7 (more) things you didn't know about me...

I've done a post very similar to this a while back - 10 Things You Didn't Know About Me... -  but the lovely @Mummy_Misfit (check out her fabulous Diary of a Mummy Misfit blog) has nominated me for a blog award this week, and this requires me to reveal another 7 things about myself that you might not be aware of, so, here we go... another 7 things you might not know about me...

1.  I am unashamedly addicted to US reality show 'Storage Wars'.  

This is a show that features 5 second hand store owners/collectors/auction house owners as they visit storage units in and around California, bidding for and buying units which have been left abandoned and unclaimed.  My husband got me into the show and now I'm absolutely addicted!  And it can be really funny at times, watching arguments ensue over a locker that, at first glance, appears to be filled with nothing but junk, old mattresses, and battered furniture.
Barry Weiss - Storage Wars Legend!
But, just sometimes, there's a hidden gem lurking inbetween the rubbish.  Great entertainment!
And I've got a teensy, weensy little crush on the rather eccentric - but absolutely hilarious - Barry Weiss, but I think you really have to watch the show to understand why!!  The man's unending optimism that there's always something fabulous hidden behind those mattresses is becoming a very endearing and attractive trait!! Plus, he makes me laugh - every episode.  Without fail!

2.  I'm a little bit in love with Bradley Cooper.

Bradley Cooper - Yes please!!
Ok, ok, I know this is hardly a secret, but not everybody may be aware of the fact that I find the man kind of attractive!  He's gorgeous, he's funny, he's a fabulous actor... and he's proving to be great inspiration for the character of Dominic MacDonald in my up and coming novel Illusions of Love, the follow up to No Matter What.  Actually, sometimes inspiration turns into distraction, but, come on!  That's one hell of a fantastic distraction!
And I can't wait to see Hangover 2 when it's released on DVD next week.  Look out for my review of the movie, once I've actually got around to viewing it... bet you can't wait for that post!!

3.  I'm a bit of a darts tart!

Something else which isn't exactly a secret to those that know me well, but there may be a few people for which this comes as a complete surprise!!  I've loved darts since the days when you had to squint through a fug of cigarette smoke to see the board, the days when tournaments were sponsored by Embassy and the players drank pints and chain-smoked their way through matches... ah, those were the days... whatever happened to Jocky Wilson...?
Paul Nicholson - Geordie-born darts eye candy!

Anyway, this is a sport (yes, it is a sport!) that I grew up watching, and the habit's never left me.  I can actually get quite excited over a good game of darts, especially if Paul Nicholson's playing, but we all know how I feel about darts' sexiest player! 
And at this time of year I'm particularly excited as we head towards one of the biggest darts tournaments of the year - the World Darts Championship, which kicks off sometime in mid-December... which means over a fortnight of more distractions for me, but I ain't missing my Christmas darts fix for anything!  And, just incase anyone isn't aware of this fact either, there's a little bit of a darts influence in my light-hearted, fun romantic novel Too Much Trouble in Paradise.  Yep.  Darts and romance, together, in a chick lit novel!  Don't tell me I'm not original!! Check it out, you might be surprised.  It's got nothing to do with darts, really, but one of the main characters is a particularly handsome young professional darts player... hmm, wonder who I could have based that character on...
Darts & romance? Together? You bet!

















4.  My all-time favourite comedy ever is 'Phoenix Nights'!

Phoenix Nights - Classic British comedy.
Absolutely no question about this.  I've seen it heaven knows how many times and I still cry laughing when I watch it.  Peter Kay is a comedy legend in my eyes, and this show is something I will never tire of watching.  The characters were hilarious, and anytime I feel a bit low or need cheering up, I just stick on an episode of this and I can't help but smile.  Comedy perfection!
May not be everyone's idea of humour, but it's certainly mine!

5.  I've got a terrible habit of watching anything hosted by Ant & Dec!

I can't say I'm proud of this one, but it's a fact, and I have to learn to live with it.  I'm especially loving them on 'I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!' at the minute - they can be hilarious (I'm liking that word in this blog post today) at times, and I think that has a lot to do with their Geordie humour.  
They're kind of addictive, as long as they don't start singing, and the less said about the time I actually made a point of going to a Radio 1 Roadshow just because they were performing 'Let's Get Ready To Rumble' the better!  Although, I've always had a little bit of a soft spot for Dec... (he's the one on the right, by the way!)
And I don't believe my husband for one second when he says he still doesn't know which one is which...

Ant & Dec - rather lovely Geordie boys!

6.  I went to London and back in a matter of hours, just to see a Pink Floyd gig!

What's so special about that, I hear you ask.  Well, I lived a good few miles away from London at the time, up in the North East of England, so it was a bit of a hike, for one gig, but it was worth every knackering second!  It was back in October 1994, (17 years ago???!!!) when I was very much younger and a performing arts student.  We were in the middle of rehearsals for a play at the time so taking a day off to go to the gig was out of the question, especially as I was Stage Manager, so, a half day was the best we could hope for, and I remember it like it was yesterday.
Me and the two guys I was going with (just friends, believe me!) legged it out of that morning's rehearsals, jumped into the car, and drove from the North East of England towards the south like our lives depended on it, hit London early evening, parked the car, jumped on a tube to Earl's Court, breathed a massive sigh of relief that we'd made it, watched an amazing gig, legged it back on the tube to the car and drove all the way back to the North East, arriving home around 5am (ish!), grabbed a couple of hours sleep, and were back at college by 9am for more theatre rehearsals!  And I'm exhausted just writing that so God knows how I managed it!  Couldn't even think about doing that trek now.  I haven't got the bloody energy!  But I wouldn't have missed seeing Pink Floyd live for the world - nothing was going to stand in my way!  It was a funny, if not extremely tiring, adventure, and one I'll always remember.  Because I have never, and will never, go to those lengths to see a band ever again!!  These days I'd need a week off to recover... one day queueing outside the Stadium of Light to get decent seats at the Take That gig back in May finished me off, I can tell you...

7.  I absolutely adore being an author of glamorous, sexy romance!

Because I do.  I really, really do.  I love creating glamorous characters - beautiful women and handsome, sexy men... to do that every day???  It's my dream job!  I love creating escapsim, stories that transport you to someone else's world.  I love writing - and I adore writing the kind of books I do.  It's where I'm comfortable, it's what I know I'm good at (even if I do say so myself!!), and it's something I hope to be doing for a long time to come. 
The Jackie Collins of South West Durham?  Yeah, I'm aiming for that.... ;)


So, there you have it.  Another set of random facts you may not have (and may not actually want to have) known about me.  I hope you enjoyed reading them, and I hope I haven't scared you off too much!! I really am quite normal... most of the time...

And don't forget, all 3 of my ebooks No Matter WhatSee You At The Show and Too Much Trouble in Paradise are available to download from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment