Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Time for a bit of a catch up...

My debut novel 'No Matter What'
So, there we have it.  My back catalogue of books are now all completed, edited to within an inch of their lives (although you can still bet your life that if I read them through again I'd spot more than a handful of things I'd still change) and up there on Amazon, for anyone who might want to see just what it is that I actually do all day, to buy!  Only as eBooks at the minute, ofcourse, but at least they're out there and not sitting idle here on my hard drive!  I wrote them to be read, after all.
And that's two years worth of work out there that is.  Two years of thinking and creating and wondering if that plot was good enough or those characters were real enough.  Two years of blood, sweat and tears.  Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating slightly now with that last bit.  I mean, I was writing books not fighting a war, but it was still hard work because to put those books out there is like sending my kids (if I had any!) out in the big wide world to be criticised and commented on but, hopefully, eventually loved!

So, if you want your romance centred in the world of Hollywood, or you'd prefer it more lighthearted and with a bit more humour, or even if you want some edgy, rock 'n' roll romance in the world of rock bands and roadies, then I appear to have written a book just for you!  I'm good like that!!

So, with the past two years worth of work now out there, it's time to go back to the start, begin again, so to speak.  It's time to write that fourth novel, although, to be honest, I'm already 164 pages in with that one.  And it's going well, infact, I'm fair flying with it!  And if I wasn't writing this blog post I'd be writing a bit more of it but I figured I hadn't posted anything here for a few days so it was time to make an appearence and let you know - should you be interested - what's going on with me right now.

'Too Much Trouble in Paradise' - My foray into Chick Lit
I'm writing, that's what I'm doing.  Having edited and finalised those first 3 books, I suddenly realised just how much I'd missed sitting down and just losing myself in a story, letting myself get carried away with the characters and their lives.  It's as much escapism for me writing these books as it - hopefully - is for you guys reading them.  If any of you have read them, and I hope at least some of you have.

So, that's what I'm up to right now.  And that fourth book just happens to be the follow up to my debut novel, 'No Matter What', so I'm revisiting characters I absolutely love, thrusting them all once again into another set of complicated situations in the glamorous and sexy world in which they all reside.  And I'm loving it!  I get to spend my days with hot men and beautiful women, what isn't there to love?  I'm creating worlds that will hopefully take you, the readers, away from it all to another place for just a little while, where you can live like a movie actress or roll with the rock stars!  It's total, pure fantasy, but those are the kind of books I love reading - and the kind of books I love writing.  I just hope that, for some of you, they're the kind of books you like too.

My latest novel - An edgy rock 'n' roll romance!
Think of me as the North East of England's equivalent to Jackie Collins .. ok, ok, I may be over-selling myself here but
if you like that kind of stuff (and I LOVE it!) then you might just like what I write.  I'm not the lovely Jackie by any means, but she's probably my biggest influence as far as writing is concerned and if I could have just half her talent I'd be one very happy lady!

My novels are never going to challenge anyone for The Booker Prize, and I'm not going to go down in literary history like Dylan Thomas or The Brontes.  But what I aim to achieve is to write stories that people enjoy, and create characters that people actually feel something about - be that love, hate, whatever.  If anyone feels anything for any character I create then I've done my job as far as I'm concerned. I've achieved what I set out to do.

So, with all of that explained, and the first draft of a new book already well on the way to being completed, I'll pop off and get a bit more of that written.  Thanks for listening to today's ramblings.  Your visits here are always appreciated, believe me. :-)

If you'd like to find out more about any of my books, visit my second blog Michelle Betham: Author- It's All About The Books  for everything from sample chapters to reviews, or check out the links to the Amazon pages of all my books down the right hand side of this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment