Thursday, 1 September 2011

Thursday thoughts & a movie review!

Source Code - A bloody good film!
I watched 'Source Code' last night.  My review?  A very clever movie, that held my attention and made sure the hour and a half just flew by, giving me a very enjoyable 90 minutes of excitement and suspense, with an ending I just wasn't expecting.  Mind you, it was one of those movies where you didn't really know what to expect as far as the ending was concerned.  My husband has a very bad habit of trying to guess the end of every film we watch (he almost ruined 'Shutter Island' for me) and, thankfully, his pathetic guess at the ending in this instance was way off!  If you haven't seen 'Source Code', I'd recommend it, if you like a good action movie with a difference, a great plot with a great premise, and something just a little bit different.
Mind you, I have to admit - and this will come as no surprise to those that know me well - that I spent a lot of the movie watching Jake Gyllenhaal and thinking, "Would I?" (Ask him out for dinner, what else did you think I meant?) And I came to the conclusion that I probably would.  But only if Bradley Cooper was on holiday.

Seriously though, it's a bloody good film and, let's face it, if you're a female, then Mr. Gyllenhaal isn't exactly hard on the eye, is he?  And that can only be a bonus.

But while I was watching this film, something happened again that started me off wondering, because it's turning out to be a regular occurrence in my life at the minute.  And that's the fact that I can't seem to watch anything/see anything/go anywhere without something kicking off an idea or some sort of inspiration for another story.  Is that just me?  Or is something a lot of writers experience?  In the case of 'Source Code', I gathered a couple of ideas for characters in a future book, and a possible new character in the book I'm currently writing.  As well as an idea for a plotline for another novel that may just be a little out of my comfort zone, but one I might just try one day.  It's all been noted and filed away for future reference.

I'm not saying this happens all the time - I'd probably be demented if it did, and I'm bad enough as it is - but there are times when I can be looking at something, or someone, and suddenly an idea pops into my head or a character is created in seconds and I'm either reaching for a pen and paper or rueing the fact I don't have one on me!  I get ideas and inspiration from the strangest of things and the oddest of places, but I don't think that's a bad thing, do you?  If I'm out walking the dog, and looking up at the trees as their leaves turn from summer green to autumn gold, and an idea for a story, or a change in a chapter happens to pop into my head, I'm just grateful. really.  At least I'm managing to get some inspiration, because, as a writer, I'd be looking pretty sick if I wasn't.  Without inspiration there's nothing there, not for me, anyway.  So maybe I'm always subconciously looking for it, and it sometimes just manifests itself when I least expect it.  I'm not complaining.  I like the fact it happens.  I just wondered if other writers feel the same.

Anyway, it's time for me to take a walk with Archie - my little West Highland terrier - and maybe, just maybe, I'll pick up one or two ideas and some early autumn inspiration out there in the sunshine.  Or maybe I'll just daydream about the lovely Jake Gyllenhaal.  Either way, it's not a bad way to start the afternoon...


Check out my other blog for information, reviews, taster chapters and news about all my books - the one's available to buy, and the ones I'm currently writing. http://michellebethamindieauthor.blogspot.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment