Sunday, 18 September 2011

'No Matter What' - Weekend musings on the first book I wrote, and why...

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to suddenly have your life turned upside down?  To have your whole world thrown completely off its axis?  To leave everything you've ever known behind you to begin a new life in a new country in a world you've only ever dreamed of before?

Maybe we all - at one time or another - wish that something fantastic would happen, something so out-of-the-ordinary that it would change our lives forever, and I'll admit to being one of those people that used to wonder what that would be like.  Yeah, that dream was mine, once upon a time.  But I'm a writer, so, instead of sitting there dreaming about the impossible, I decided to put my rather active imagination to some use and give that dream to someone else, to a character in a book - an alter-ego even, because being a writer allows me to do that.  It allows me to take something I myself would love to do, something I dream about, and live that life through somebody else.  Somebody I created.

Meet India Steven.  An ordinary young girl from the North East of England, with an ordinary job and an ordinary life.  Until an extraordinary meeting changes all of that and transports her to a world she'd never thought she'd ever get near.  A world of glamour and movie stars, and a life of fame and fortune.

Sex, glamour, obsession & betrayal, all set in the world of Hollywood.
Because I don't really write about real-life.  Not all the time.  I live enough of that and it ain't all that exciting!  I deal very much in fantasy.  I deal in dreams and escapism.  And when I started writing 'No Matter What' that's excatly what I wanted to create.  From a story that started in my head almost 20 years ago, it was a book that evolved over the years, until I finally got round to writing it two years ago.  The first book I ever wrote.  I wanted to create an adventure for India; I wanted to take her on a journey through her new and incredible life with everything that it could throw at her .  And I wanted to be able to take the reader with her every step of the way, let them experience everything she goes through and feel the same emotions she feels.

It's a fairytale, in some ways.  Although it's a much darker, much more adult fairytale but a fairytale all the same.  A glamorous, sexy, edgy fairytale that takes the characters - and the reader - on a roller-coaster of a ride through everything from intense love, happiness and excitement, to shocking betrayal, obsession and jealousy.

It's never going to set the world of fiction alight.  It's not going to win any prizes.  But what I hope it will do is give people a little bit of an escape from real life for a little while (or a not-so-little-while, it's quite a long book!) and let them live the incredible life of someone else.  It may not resemble reality in any way, but that was never my intention.  Writing is my opportunity to escape from all that.  Writing is my escape.  And if any of my books can give just one reader that same feeling of escape, then I've done what I set out to do.  And that makes everything worthwhile...

You can find out more information about 'No Matter What', and all my other novels, over on my other blog Michelle Betham: Author - It's All About The Books



No comments:

Post a Comment