Friday, 23 September 2011

My week, in a nutshell...

Well, as we come hurtling towards the end of another week, and I can't think of anything earth-shattering or important to blog about, I thought I'd just share with you a week in the life of me.  As the title of this post says, my week in a nutshell.  A condensed version of how the past few days have panned out for me.  I can't promise anything out-of-the-ordinary or even mildly intriguing, but it might give you a little idea of what the life of this Indie author is really like during a typical week...

So, let's begin at the beginning.  Well, Monday, anyway...

Monday September 19th

Do you know, I'm finding it quite difficult to think that far back.  What the hell happened on Monday?  I walked the dog, wrote some of my book but not a great deal, and we had scampi and chips for tea!  That's it.  Can't remember anything else, apart from watching two episodes of 'Coronation Street' and drinking a couple of glasses of wine... I swear it's me age kicking in...

Tuesday September 20th

I can remember a bit more about Tuesday, because Tuesday was a good day, writing wise.  I got just shy of 3,000 words written for my new book, and it was a day that ended with me feeling very pleased with myself because I'd achieved quite a bit, in terms of pushing my new book forward.  I felt good on Tuesday.  Yeah, Tuesday was a good day...

Wednesday September 21st

Wednesday wasn't.  A good day, that is.  It was rubbish!  I was in a bad mood and having one of those days when nothing goes right, when you feel as though the world's against you, which it isn't, ofcourse.  But I'm a writer, and I love the theatre so I'm a bit of a drama queen.  Which I'm beginning to use to my advantage.  If I channel that drama correctly I might actually get a book out of it, somehow.
Anyway, got no writing to speak of done today but I might have blogged something, I can't remember.  So I suppose I did write something then!
Made a lovely beef stew with basmati rice for dinner though, so the day wasn't a complete disaster.  And I spent the evening on the couch with a couple of glasses of our lovely homemade red wine laughing like a drain during the 'Big Brother' highlights show!  Enough said, I think...

Thursday September 22nd

 A better day than Wednesday.  Started off feeling a bit down, a bit deflated, but I soon kicked that feeling to the kerb!
I think, as writers, we all have up and down days because writing can be such a lonely business sometimes, and being on your own for long lengths of time can sometimes lead you to overthink everything from the latest chapter in your own book to an episode of 'Eastenders'!
But I spent a lot of time on Thursday reading blogs from other writers, and learning a lot of things about this industry I've thrown myself into.  There's still a wealth of information out there and I haven't even scratched the surface yet, so spending the day researching, reading and thinking about things in a rational and sensible way went a long way to helping me come through the slightly negative patch I'd been experiencing over the past couple of days.
Sometimes taking a step back and looking at things with a fresh pair of eyes can make all the difference.
Still managed to write 1,400 words of new novel today, surprisingly.  Even though I had to pack up the writing early to go and mow the back lawn, and that was an experience.  We only have a small back garden, so I've been cutting the grass with a little manual push mower for most of this year, but that decided to go blunt on me and just flatten the grass rather than mow it.  So, my husband kindly set up the electric mower (the one I've been reluctant to touch for a number of reasons) for me to use instead - nice of him to offer to actually cut the grass for me, I have to say.
I need a new one of these.
 Anyway, the result?  Not exactly carnage, but the grass may be shorter than I intended it to be, but at least I didn't mow over the cable and electrocute myself, which was a distinct possibility at times.
The evening was spent looking for a new manual mower in B&Q...

Friday September 23rd

 Ending the week on a much more positive note today.  Woke up in a much better mood than I have done for the past few days, but still didn't manage to get a lot of writing done.  That's not to say I didn't actually do any writing, I did.  I wrote half a chapter.  But then my PC decided to have a mid-morning strop at around 11.10 am and just switch itself off, thus not saving anything I'd written this morning, before turning itself back on again!  As luck would have it, I hadn't been happy with that half a chapter anyway so I didn't feel the need to swear very loudly at unreliable technology, I just went downstairs and made myself a cup of coffee.  Would have been a very different story if that had happened on Tuesday though...
Met a neighbour in the park whilst walking Archie (my dog) this afternoon, and had a lovely chat about our dogs, next door's chickens and the state of the blokes back garden two doors down, before coming back home to finish this blog!
Not exactly the most exciting of days, granted, but I'm too exhausted to do exciting right now because I think I've got a cold coming on.  So I'm quite looking forward to another night on the couch with wine and the TV before getting stuck into the weekend.
And my plans for the weekend?  Nothing major.  Food shopping, chilling out, visiting family...


So, you see, the life of an independent author really isn't anything exciting at all, but sometimes that's good,  because if my life was too exciting I wouldn't have time to write, and if I couldn't write I wouldn't be happy.
And if I'm not happy, everybody suffers...I'm a drama queen, remember? ;-)

Visit my other blog Michelle Betham: Author - It's All About The Books for all the info you need to know about all of my three currently available novels, from reviews to sample chapters, it's all in there!


3 comments:

  1. LOL you crack me up :) Sometimes not too exciting is good. It gets you pumped up for the drama that's to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manual lawn mower?? Are you mad? Sounds too much like hard work to me. My hubby never cuts the grass either. His excuse is hayfever- very handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL.... gotta love when the memory fails. Glad to hear the lost work was something you were unhappy with anyway.

    ReplyDelete