Tuesday, 2 August 2011

This is not goodbye...

I've reached a bit of a decision, a crossroads if you like. I've come to a point where I'm having to make choices and decide what to do for the best, for me, as an Independent author because at the minute I seem to be making no apparent headway, and I'm not fond of banging me head off a brick wall for too long!  Not when something can be done to change that.

You see, all of us Indie authors have the same problem so I know I'm not the only one going through it, but I need to be able to have the time to generate book sales while at the same time writing new material and keeping a presence on all social networking sites, although I'm still not sure just how important that really is.  But I just feel that, at the present time, this blog isn't really that much of an asset to me at the minute - not in it's original guise anyway.  I feel as though I'm sometimes blogging for blogging's sake and that half the time I have absolutely nothing of any interest or value to say, and that could - in the long run - damage my chances of selling books rather giving them a boost.  I mean, if I just continue to churn out pointless and boring blog posts just for the hell of it and people get bored reading them, what are they going to think about my books?  They're not going to want to pop off and buy a book from somebody when they don't even enjoy their blog!

So, for the time being at least, I won't be blogging on a regular basis.  I may, if I suddenly get a burst of inspiration or something happens that I feel compelled to talk about, stick a blog post up but other than that, it may be a bit quiet round here.

I think I need to re-think things in order to gain a good, regular following because at the minute I have 5 followers and that is actually rather embarrassing.  I never expected to be insanely popular but I thought I might have managed a few more than that, and it can be quite disheartening at times when you look at blogs that have followers into double figures and I'm struggling to reach 6!  I'm not saying the posts aren't being read, they are.  To some extent.  But I don't think I've got the right angle, I'm not different enough, it isn't something which is drawing people in and making them want to come back time and time again; it isn't enough to make them want to check out my books, and I'd like to be interesting enough for people to want to check out my books because I know that blogs can be a very useful tool in that respect.  But not this one.  Not yet anyway.

So, while I give it a break and try to think of something new, I'll continue to market and publicise myself and my books in the best way I can, and continue to write the books I love to write in the hope that, one day, I'll get it right and find that perfect angle that will make people remember my name - and hopefully buy my books.  In the meantime, don't forget my "try before you buy" blog http://michellebethamindieauthor.blogspot.com/ where you can still find all the info you need on all my books - the ones already out there and the ones I'm currently writing. Check it out for taster chapters, buying information, and reviews.

It is, however, quite interesting to see that some of the most popular blog posts I've written here have been darts themed...maybe it's time to think about that...in what respect, I have no idea just yet! But I'm working on it!



1 comment:

  1. Well I for one will miss your highly entertaining and amusing blogs Chelle. I love your easy, chatty style and they always bring a smile to my face xx

    ReplyDelete