Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Music was my first love...well, one of them anyway.

Ok, my week of Top 5's continues. Yesterday was Celebrity Crushes, today I bring you my Top 5 bands/artists and one of my favourite songs of theirs, because music is very important to me.  It relaxes me or allows me to vent frustration; it cheers me up when I'm feeling down but, most important of all, it inspires me.  I can't tell you how many instances of writer's block have been cured just by suddenly hearing a certain song! 

So, this particular subject could really do with a Top 50 but I've tried to whittle it down to those I always seem to come back to when I'm scrolling through the old iPod.  Once again, in no particular order...

1) Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac - 'Gold Dust Woman'

I'm in love with this song.  I adore it!  And I adore Stevie Nicks.  Her voice, her look, the fact she's still going strong today, I love it all.  But this song in particular means a lot because, not only is it just a beautiful song that shows Stevie's voice off wonderfully, it also inspired a whole storyline for one of my yet-to-be-written (romance) books.  So for that, I'm eternally grateful!
This song came from the fantastic Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours' album and has been one of my favourites for as long as I can remember, a song that has the ability to make me break out in goosebumps.  Just beautiful.

2) Joe Bonamassa - Sloe Gin

I cannot begin to describe how much I love this guy! And this was the song that made me aware he existed because before that I had no idea!  And I can't believe he passed me by for so long, because he is just an incredible artist.  I had the absolute privelege of seeing him perform live in Newcastle last year, and hearing this track and watching him play was an experience I'll never forget.  Anybody who can stand there for 2 hours without any fancy lighting or effects and just sing and play like he did, completely mesmerising an audience in the way he did, that's a talent.  To say he was amazing live would be under-selling him.  He is a true guitar legend, and he deserves that accolade.  If you like blues/rock then give this guy a listen.  You won't be disappointed.

3) AC/DC - Back in Black

Now, if we're talking classic rock then this lot have got to be up there with the best of them!  It's just an amazing rock song, and one of those tracks that I play very loud when I've got something I want to get off my chest!  It's what I call my "bad mood music"; when I'm frustrated or angry or just a little bit on edge I blast this track (amongst others) out as loud as I can without the neighbours calling the council and suddenly everything seems so much better!

4) Nickelback - Do This Anymore

One of my favourite, favourite bands ever!  Their first mega-selling single 'How You Remind Me' made me sit up and take notice, and I've been a huge fan ever since!  Their albums are always a mixture of heavy rock and slower more laid back songs, and a lot of my favourite tracks of theirs are actually album tracks, not singles.  Like this one.  I just love this song, mainly because it will always remind me of writing my very first novel - and the one that still means the most to me - 'No Matter What'.  This song - and a fair few other Nickelback ones actually - was almost the soundtrack to the writing of that novel, their music - and this track in partiuclar - inspired me so much, and when I write the follow-up to that novel (which is in the pipeline already) I daresay Nickelback will be playing as I write it.  Love the band, love their music, adore this song!

5) Thunder - Does It Feel Like Love?

A band that have now sadly split up, Thunder were one of the best British rock bands of the past couple of decades in my opinion.  I first discovered them in the early 90's and loved them from the second I heard this song, a song which brings back some happy memories because I always used to listen to it when I got ready to go out on a Friday and Saturday night back in the 90's.  You see, I wasn't one to blast out disco or a bit of Kylie as I got ready for a night on the town, oh no, it was rock all the way for me!  Always got me right in the mood to fend off all the idiots that hung out down the bars and clubs of Whitley Bay!
Seriously though, Thunder are one of my all-time favourite bands and their 'Laughing on Judgement Day' album, which this track is taken from, is one of my all-time favourite albums.  There's not a bad song on there, so this lot are definitely worthy of my Top 5 bands/artists.  A great, great song!

So, there we have it.  My Top 5 bands/artists, but they only really scratch the surface as far as my musical tastes are concerned.  My iPod has to have one of the most eclectic selection of music I know of, I even surprise myself sometimes when I put the thing on shuffle!  I can be listening to The Foo Fighters one minute and the next Michael Buble's warbling on about 'Hollywood'!  I love everything from Queen to Kylie, Abba to Aerosmith, J.Lo to The Eagles.  It just depends what mood I'm in, how I'm feeling - even what book I'm writing!  I've got music to suit it all, and if I lost that iPod I swear it'd be like losing me right arm!  Take away my music and I'd be bereft!  It's just very important to me because, like a good book, it can take you away from everything, let you escape to another world; it can inspire and excite, or just be there because you need it.  And that's worth a hell of a lot to me!

If you enjoyed this blog, and if maybe it's heightened your interest in seeing just what kind of novel can be turned out whilst listening to Nickelback, then pop over to my other blog http://michellebethamindieauthor.blogspot.com/  where you can read excerpts from my books - including 'No Matter What' - see reviews (it's got four 5-star reviews you know!) and find information on how to buy copies for yourself as well as how to download the FREE Kindle app for PC's/iPhones etc. if you're not lucky enough to own a Kindle! So you can read my eBooks anywhere!




No comments:

Post a Comment